Forum zostało przeniesione na adres: www.mtenis.com.pl

#21 14-06-2010 17:03:40

Bizon

siła spokoju

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Re: Sam Querrey

Grosz do grosza i niedługo będzie miał więcej tytułów od Blake'a

MTT Singiel : (Rank-2)

W : Los Angeles 08, Dubaj 09, New Heaven 09, Bangkok 09, Pekin 09, Madryt 10, Roland Garros 10, Barcelona 11, Madryt 11, Roland Garros 11
F  : Olympic Games 08, Bangkok 08, s'Hertogenbosch 10, Wimbledon 10, Los Angeles 10, Memphis 11

#22 18-06-2010 19:06:34

Art

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer

Sam Querrey crowned king of Queen's

SAM Querrey was crowned king of Queen's after defeating fellow American Mardy Fish 7-6 (7-3) 7-5 in the final of the pre-Wimbledon warm-up event.

Querrey may never reach the heights scaled by compatriots Pete Sampras, Andy Roddick, John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors, but his name will always be alongside that distinguished group on the list of Queen's Club champions thanks to this gutsy win.

The 22-year-old seventh seed collected a winners' cheque worth E79,260 ($A113,000) for his efforts this week, but the boost to his confidence heading into Wimbledon could be far more significant.

Querrey has risen to 23rd in the world rankings after an impressive year, with two ATP Tour titles won in Memphis and Belgrade, and is only the second player, after Rafael Nadal, to win three titles this year.

He has now won on clay, hard and grass courts in the last six months and could be a tough test for more established names at Wimbledon.

Although this was only the second meeting between two, there would be few surprises for either man in the first all-American final at Queen's since Todd Martin beat Sampras in 1994.

Few players on the ATP Tour are firmer friends than Fish and Querrey, who live close to each other in Santa Monica, often practice together and even share the same coach, South African David Nainkin.

Fish arrived in fine form after dropping just one set and defeating world number four Andy Murray on route to the final.

But the world number 90, who has now lost 11 of his 14 ATP Tour finals, wasted a golden opportunity to take control of the match early on.

He earned three break points on Querrey's serve, but allowed the 6ft 6in Californian to escape unscathed.

That was the only opportunity either player had to break in a first set dominated by impressive serving but lacking many moments of drama.

What tension there was came in the tie-break as Fish looked to have stolen the momentum when he fought back from 3-0 down, only for Querrey to respond superbly and win the next four points to take the set.

Despite that blow, Fish recovered in the second set to break Querrey at the end of a lengthy rally at 2-2.

That should have been enough for Fish to restore parity in the match, but his nerve cracked when he served for the set.

A pair of woeful forehands presented Querrey with a break back and he took that gift as the sign to go for the kill.

When Fish served to stay in the match at 5-6, Querrey's attacking intent rattled his opponent enough to induce a series of miscues and it wasn't long before Querrey was celebrating a famous triumph.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/us-bu … 5879071453

#23 22-06-2010 22:46:22

Serenity

User

Wimbledon 2010 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 1 rundzie

Q. Just doing a little aside of Wimbledon. Getting to know the players. Can you tell me where you're staying while you're here at Wimbledon?

SAM QUERREY: I'm staying in the Village in a house with my mom, my dad, my sister, her two friends, my friend, and my coach.

Q. Do you prefer to stay in a house to hotels?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah.

Q. Always having your family around?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, it's really nice.

Q. So while you're in London, is there anything that you always make sure that you do while you're here?

SAM QUERREY: No. There's no like traditions or anything. I'll go into the city a couple times for dinner. If my mom drags me to some historical monument I'll go so she's happy.

Q. Is there anything you want to do while you're here this time round?

SAM QUERREY: Nothing special I can think of.

Q. Who cooks?

SAM QUERREY: Either my mom, my dad or my coach, David. My sister will do some stuff, too.

Q. You rotate?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah. We all kind of help out.

Q. What was the best and worst thing about the Wimbledon tournament? And you can't say the weather.

SAM QUERREY: The worst thing? Um, three out of five sets you got to play in doubles.

Q. The best thing?

SAM QUERREY: The best thing is just being a part of the tournament, because it's probably the most prestigious tournaments in the world. Just walking out onto one of the courts is pretty special.

Q. Do you have any tennis nightmares?

SAM QUERREY: No.

Q. Any nicknames?

SAM QUERREY: No. Usually someone will call me Q or something like that.

Q. What?

SAM QUERREY: Q, for my last name, but nothing...

Q. Okay. Have you been following the World Cup?

SAM QUERREY: A little bit. I mean, I follow the USA and England because they're in the same bracket. Looking forward to the game tomorrow. Hopefully USA wins it, but once they're out of it I probably won't watch a game.

Q. Any predictions on who will win?

SAM QUERREY: I don't know enough to put out a reasonable prediction.

Q. Given a choice, a book, film, or Nintendo, how would you fill your free time?

SAM QUERREY: A book or movie. Probably movie more often. I don't really play Nintendo. Haven't really played in probably ten years. Kind of stopped after Super Nintendo.

Q. You said back in Paris after you lost to Robby that you hadn't been playing professionally for a while. I think you were a bit dejected and so on. How do feel now? Have you turned it around?

SAM QUERREY: I feel great now, yeah. Took some days off. You know, at Queen's, the only thing I was basically focusing on was being positive and really just giving 100% on every single point. It was a good week for me.

That's all I was focusing on today. That's my goal for this Wimbledon: just to be positive; shoulders back; after the point, win or lose, those first few seconds, don't ‑‑ only show positive emotion if you're gonna show emotion; just go out there and have fun.

Q. Was that your idea or some people you talked to?

SAM QUERREY: It was a few people's idea. Mainly my coach, David. Him and I both talked about it. My dad as well. But mainly David.

Q. So when you're feeling negative emotion inside you, what do you do? Just try to swallow it?

SAM QUERREY: I try to. That's what I struggle with the most. When I get down on myself or I'm being negative, I have a really tough time bringing myself back up to a level state of mind or a positive attitude.

So I'm trying to never get myself to that point. Basically can't bring myself back up to where I want to be.

Q. You've never been much of a racquet tosser, though. Have you ever thought about just letting the anger out rather than just...

SAM QUERREY: I have actually. I mean, my coach, David, said, If you're gonna get angry, yell something out and smash the racquet and move on to the next point. Don't carry it with you.

If it comes to that point, I'm probably just gonna do that.

Q. Do you do that in practice at all?

SAM QUERREY: Occasionally in practice. I mean, I guess if you take this year, probably broken like two or three in practice. But not really, no.

Q. Did it feel good?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I mean, I can't really remember the specific moments. Yeah, sometimes it just needs to be done.

Q. You see lots of the teams these days use sports psychologist and stuff. You ever think about going that route?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, sometimes. I've thought about talking to guys about that stuff.

Q. So what Laker games have you been to? I know you were saying on a conference call...

SAM QUERREY: I went to Game 5 against the Suns where Artest hit that shot. It was probably the best Lakers game I've ever been to.

Then I went to Game 1 of the Lakers/Celtics, which was pretty good, too.

Q. So when you watch, other than just enjoying it, do you watch them from a professional standpoint, saying, This is how Kobe goes about his business, make I can take something from it?

SAM QUERREY: You know, I don't. But now that I bring that up, it's kind of a good point. You know, one professional athlete to another one. I could do that next time. Probably a good guy to watch.

Q. Probably ruin it for you now.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah. I'll be analyzing Kobe.

Q. You watch the parade online or anything?

SAM QUERREY: No, I mean, I didn't even watch a game while I was over here. I like the Lakers and stuff, but I'm not gonna stay up at 2:00 a.m. and get the feed online or anything like that.

I'll just read about it in the morning.

Q. How much different is it being in England with the English mindset than other places in Europe, like the French and just feeling comfortable?

SAM QUERREY: I mean, it's much nicer. It's still Europe, but I'm much more comfortable and happy over here compared to Rome, Madrid, France, Düsseldorf. All those other cities.

I like those cities a lot, but it's a little nicer over here, especially Wimbledon because you can stay ‑‑ I'm in a house for three weeks. You have a family room you can lounge in.

You know, everyone who I said is with me: parents, friends. So it's much more enjoyable.

Q. Did they come over with you before to England?

SAM QUERREY: Have they or will they?

Q. Yeah, have they?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, my mom and dad have come every year; my sister has come a few times. There's been a different friend here.

They were all at Queen's for the full week, so they're here to support.

Q. Whatever happened to your personal assistant?

SAM QUERREY: It was an intern. (Laughing.) It was more something for fun. He wanted to do it because he wants to be a sports agent.

But he's getting ready to start law school at Vandebilt Law next month.

Q. He moved up.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah. Had at the write him a letter of recommendation.

Q. Did you really? Did it help, or you have no idea?

SAM QUERREY: I have no idea. I'd like to think so. Actually had him write it.

Q. What's the difference between the grass here and the grass at Queen's?

SAM QUERREY: Um, I can't notice a huge difference. It might be a little harder here. The ball might bounce up a little bit more.

But I think they're pretty similar.

Q. What's been your evolution in terms of getting used to grass?

SAM QUERREY: You know, it's basically the only time I've played on it is Queen's, Eastbourne, Nottingham, here for the last four years. I've just become more comfortable on it every year. The movement is tough. You know, you ask anyone. The first year they play on grass, I think they really struggle with the movement.

But it's just more time spent on it. Now I've spent four, five months of my life on it rather than one. I think on grass, the only way you're gonna get better is playing on it and time spent on it.

Q. Have you ever hit with Pete?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, a lot. The never on grass, though. We could at Sherwood, but the grass at Sherwood is so soft you can't really have a point there. We just mainly hit on hardcourt.

Q. And he never gave you any advice on grass?

SAM QUERREY: No. I mean, not really.

Q. Do you ever see yourself serving and volleying consistently on grass?

Q. Why?

SAM QUERREY: I think guys return too well these days, and I'm not confident enough at the net to do that.

Those are the two main reasons.

Q. But in doubles I would think you feel like you can get up there a bit, huh?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah. Although if you watch John and I play doubles, I serve and volley probably half the time on the first serve and never on the second serve.

The grass might be a little different. I'll probably serve and volley every first serve and maybe half the second serves.

But I'm still just more confident hitting a serve and trying to move around and rip a forehand.

Q. When you hit with Pete, is it usually at his place?

SAM QUERREY: It has been pretty much every time, except for once he came to my house.

Q. When you play him at his house, did you kind of feel guilt if you beat him?

SAM QUERREY: No, not at all. We usually go out and play a couple sets. It's close. It's pretty fun. He's got music playing while we hit. No one cares who wins.

Q. Have you gone to any the basketball games with any of those guys?

SAM QUERREY: Never. I'm still waiting for that invite. (Laughing.)

Q. He doesn't trust your game?

SAM QUERREY: I guess not.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/int … 90431.html

#24 28-06-2010 21:39:25

Serenity

User

Wimbledon 2010 - wywiad po porażce w 4 rundzie

Q. Just talk about the match. What was the difference out there?

SAM QUERREY: Just you know, need to execute a little better. I thought I had a good game plan. I was trying to be aggressive and, you know, I didn't want to play cat and mouse with him from the baseline.

In the first set at 5‑All, 30‑40, I had a look at a short forehand that I just missed a little wide. You know, that third set he played a great game to break me at 4‑All. He hit some great shots.

So just a couple little things here and there, but I had a good game plan. I just need to execute it a little better. Maybe make one or two volleys, and I'm right there.

Q. How is his level? I mean, you've obviously played a lot of good matches on grass. He hasn't lost a set yet in the tournament. Is he playing that well?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, he's playing at a very high level. He's hitting his backhand well. He hits the passing shots as good as anyone. So he's a tough guy to play. Makes a lot of returns.

Q. What was it like out there, the atmosphere playing Murray, Centre Court, Wimbledon?

SAM QUERREY: I mean, it's great. It's fun. You got to ‑‑ you know, I had to hit a special shot to make a few people to clap for me. It's understandable. It was fun out there. You know, he played great.

You know, fans are excited, especially now that the soccer is done. Now they're kind of ‑‑ he's kind of their hope for the next few weeks, or the next week now.

So I had a good time out there.

Q. You've probably been asked this, but what did you learn from this match?

SAM QUERREY: Like I said earlier, execution needs to be a little sharper, especially when you're playing the guys who are top 5, top 10 in the world.

I had a couple chances in the first set where I missed a the forehand wide on breakpoint. Couple volleys up close to the net that I need to, you know, put away.

It's just tighten up those little things, and that's all the difference.

Q. Was there any fatigue issue given how much you've played on the grass?

SAM QUERREY: Um, no. I felt great. I've been taking care of my body and I've been hydrating well. I felt fine out there.

Q. What are the conditions like on the court? Is it pretty fast? It's been hot and dry the last week.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, feels pretty fast. You know, feels like is try grass court. You get rewarded for your wide serve. The slice stays low. If you pound the ball through the court, it really takes off.

You know, might be a little ‑‑ probably a little firmer than the last few years because of the dry heat. But, you know, I like that.

Q. What about the footing? Is it grippy or slicker?

SAM QUERREY: Footing, I mean, I can't notice a difference between the last few years with the footing. Feels fine out there. On the baseline it's mostly just running around on dirt. The grass court shoes help a lot.

My footing feels fine.

Q. How does it compare with Queen's.

SAM QUERREY: I think I they're very similar. I can't notice too much of a difference.

Q. What's next?

SAM QUERREY: Going home tomorrow, and then I'll be playing in Newport. Grass court season is not over for me.

Q. Are you feeling any sympathy for Murray given what the expectations are around him here? And how do you feel about the way he seems to actually step up and do well here even though he hasn't won yet?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I mean, I think he's got a lot of pressure on himself. I'm sure he expects a lot from himself. The fans and the crowd expect him to win every tournament he plays in, so, I mean, probably feels a lot of the pressure from them.

But kudos to him for stepping up and winning Queen's last year; making a semifinal here; he's now back in a quarterfinal. So he steps up to the pressure.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/int … 36426.html

#25 21-07-2010 15:16:25

Art

User

Querrey Rebounds From a Scary Fall to Resume His Steady Climb:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/sport … ref=tennis

#26 02-08-2010 15:59:03

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

#6) Los Angeles 2010

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/2246EEEB687E4ABB9321FC9ECE9CF6C5.ashx

R32 bye
R16 Kevin Anderson 7-6 4-6 6-0
Q Rainer Schuettler 6-2 3-6 7-6
S Janko Tipsarevic 6-7 7-6 6-4
W Andy Murray 5-7 7-6 6-3

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#27 02-08-2010 16:00:12

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

W tym przypadku "dycha" będzie jak nic.

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#28 02-08-2010 16:01:22

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

DUN I LOVE napisał:

W tym przypadku "dycha" będzie jak nic.

Będzie "15" jak nic.

#29 02-08-2010 23:11:27

Kubecki

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Novak Djokovic

Ale turniej zagrał same trzysetówki i w każdej TB

Ostatnio edytowany przez Kubecki (02-08-2010 23:13:06)

#30 03-08-2010 11:31:33

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Kubecki napisał:

Ale turniej zagrał same trzysetówki i w każdej TB

Sam zapisał się w historii, jako jeden z nielicznych graczy, którzy wygrali turniej ATP, broniąc w finale i półfinale piłek meczowych (1 w finale, 3 w semi). Nie lada wyczyn. Brawo.

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#31 03-08-2010 21:56:01

Serenity

User

Querrey eyes top 10 after LA win

Sam Querrey's first victory over Andy Murray  in five attempts has embellished the big-serving American's impressive credentials and marked him out as a likely top-10 player in the future.

The 22-year-old from Thousand Oaks, California came from a set down to upset the British world number four 5-7 7-6(2) 6-3 in the LA Open final on Sunday, earning him his fourth ATP title of the season.

Only top-ranked Spaniard Rafael Nadal, with five, has won more tournaments on the circuit this year although Querrey is the sole player to have triumphed on three different surfaces.

Long regarded as the brightest young American prospect with his booming serves and crunching forehands, the six-foot six Californian regarded his first success against Murray as a significant milestone.

"It feels great to finally get a win over him because I really hadn't had a close match with him before this," Querrey said after saving a match point in the second set before going on to triumph.

"So it's nice to get that. Now I have the belief that if I can play him again I can maybe win or if I play another top-10 guy.

"Winning definitely gives you a lot of confidence, whether it's professional or in the juniors or in the collegiate," added the world number 20.

"The more you win, the better you're playing and the more confidence you have. I definitely think this will help me win some bigger matches going forward."

Prior to his successful title defence at the LA Tennis Center on Sunday, the highest-ranked player Querrey had ever beaten was fellow American and then world number five Andy Roddick in Cincinnati in 2009.

"This feels great," Querrey said. "This is maybe the best I've ever felt. I'm really happy, really ecstatic. Hopefully it will be a great start to the summer.

"The more matches you win and titles you win, I think guys start to respect you more and fear you more so hopefully that's the case."

Last year Querrey enjoyed his best season on tour with a win-loss record of 41-23, despite his campaign being cut short in September when a glass table he was sitting at collapsed and nearly severed a nerve in his serving arm.

However, subsequent surgery and rehabilitation led to a full recovery and he is now the third-highest American in the rankings, after world number nine Roddick and his good friend John Isner (19th).

"I'm proud of the way I've turned it around since then," said Querrey, who will be playing in this week's Washington Classic. "I'm taking baby steps forward and hopefully, I'll keep going up.

"The next step is the Masters Series and the Grand Slam events. This tournament is a great stepping stone for those."

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/02082010/58/ … a-win.html

#32 07-08-2010 17:35:17

Davioz

User

Sam zrobił ogromny postęp przez ostatni rok. Jeszcze niedawno brakowało mu techniki czy dobrych wykończeń akcji, teraz już można powiedzieć, że jest dojrzałym graczem i liczy się w dużych imprezach. Liczę na jego dobry start podczas USO.

#33 30-08-2010 12:40:46

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

The Last Time... With Sam Querrey

Sam Querrey, a four-time winner on the ATP World Tour this year, talks about the last time…

I bought tennis balls or rented a tennis court?
About a year ago in San Diego. I had to get a clay court at Barnes Tennis Centre and I had to pay my eight dollar fee and buy balls there.

Last time I queued for tickets?
I buy tickets for events all the time but I don’t necessarily line up. I scalped tickets at a Dave Matthews Band concert about five years ago. My buddy and I were walking around outside trying to scalp ‘em.

I lost something important?
Right now I can’t find my passport. Maybe I left it at home.

I missed a flight?
That probably hasn’t happened for about three years; it was when I was flying from Colorado to Wichita, Kansas, for an exhibition.

I cooked for myself?
A couple of years ago… I never cook; I usually just pour a bowl of cereal or go out for every meal.

I shared a hotel room with another player?
I have friends staying with me all the time but another player… about four years ago when I was a Davis Cup practice partner. I think it was Tim Smyczek in Palm Springs in 2006.

Being recognised help me?
Last night [in Washington, D.C.] I was trying to get a table at an Italian restaurant and the guy was a big tennis fan. He got me, my mum and her friends in.

I visited a country for the first time?
Serbia in 2009.

I was asked to sign something unusual?
I signed someone’s forehead after the LA Open last week.

I asked someone for their autograph?
Kobe Bryan at the Olympics in 2008. He signed a piece of paper for me.

I met someone famous?
I met Barack Obama at the White House during a Quick Start clinic for kids. That was a thrill.

I had a bad hotel experience?
At a hotel in Rome it was supposed to be a king bed but it was really two small beds pushed together and I kept falling through the middle of the two beds.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE- … -Time.aspx

#34 04-09-2010 23:16:31

Serenity

User

US Open 2010 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 1 rundzie

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Can you explain the shot to the privates of your opponent there?

SAM QUERREY: That was an accident. I mean, he hit a dropshot, and I ran up there and it was kind of better than I thought. So I kind of got a little confused where I was going to hit it. I kind of went at him. I didn't mean to hit it there. I felt bad because he's my buddy.

Q. He said before the draw came out you guys have been practicing together. Were you surprised to see his name next to yours when the draw came out?

SAM QUERREY: A little bit. You never know who you're going to get, so it's kind of bummer to play him. We practiced together pretty much the last two months, the whole summer. He's one of the few guys I didn't really want to play. That seems to happen a lot.

Q. Did he surprise you at all today? Obviously you say you've been practicing with him so you know his level. He came out pretty strong against you for a kid who's stepping into a pretty big spotlight.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I think he was a little nervous at the beginning. That's normal. I was a little nervous, too. He played well. He's got a good lefty serve, big forehand. I was impressed with how he played.

Q. How's the heat out there today?

SAM QUERREY: It's so hot out there. I was struggling. I was like my legs were cramping, and his were, too. Fortunately his were just a little worse than mine. But, I mean, it was hot.

Q. Have you had it worse this summer?

SAM QUERREY: D.C. was bad. It might have been a little more humid there. But this one, I mean, like, one of the top couple hottest matches I've played in all summer. So, I mean, I have been hydrating well and doing everything right, but it's just hot.

Q. Would you be in favor of a heat rule for the men?

Q. Why not?

SAM QUERREY: Ah, I mean, tennis is -- we talked about that in the council meeting the other day, whether or not they should close the roof if it gets to be, you know, over a certain temperature. I think, you know, tennis is a physical sport. You should be rewarded with the hard work you put in. If the heat is too much for some guys, you know, if you're the more fit player, you shouldn't get penalized for that. I don't think so.

Q. They wouldn't be closing the roof here, though.

SAM QUERREY: No. (Smiling.)

Q. They won't be building one, either.

SAM QUERREY: It's pretty rare when it gets rained out.

Q. Your experience is obviously different, turning pro coming out of high school and turning pro. Seeing his level of play, would you ever tell him you think it's time to go pro, or do you think it's a smart move for him to go back to Stanford?

SAM QUERREY: Um, it's tough, he can definitely play with the pros. I've been practicing with him all summer. He's playing well. He takes sets off guys in practice all the time. I think either decision is a good one. He can improve at Stanford and he can improve playing the tour. So either way I think it is, you know, the right decision.

Q. What was the difference today? I know you were playing at a higher level than him generally, but were there a couple of things that really helped you push through and take it?

SAM QUERREY: Just a little bit of experience, you know. In that third set at 5 All just making the extra ball, and, you know, drew a couple errors. But that was pretty much it.

Q. You got a winner on a volley, and then hit two aces. Then I think you hit, if I've got this right, third set right then, that was pretty key for you when you went up 6 5.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, and then at 6 5 I just told myself, Just make every ball and make him win if he's going to win this game and send it to a tiebreaker, make him earn it.

Q. Did it help you to play an extra set? More conditioning for the rest of the tournament?

SAM QUERREY: No, I would have rather been in and out of there in an hour. My legs were tightening up. I could have done without it. I guess it lets me know I have to drink more.

Q. I understand it's supposed to remain brutal out there. So feeling how you feel today, do you change preparation knowing it's going to be that bad next time around?

SAM QUERREY: Somebody told me it's going to rain Friday when I walked in here. Yeah, I mean, I think I have been drinking a lot. Talking to trainers and coaches, I'm going to keep more than I have. I fell like I've been having six bottles of water a day, six Cytomaxes, six Gatorades, coconut waters. You know, I'm going to up that to 10 of each a day.

Q. Aside from hydrating, there is really nothing to be done?

SAM QUERREY: I could probably do a little better job of maybe like my match today I didn't have like the biggest breakfast. I didn't hydrate especially well before the match. I could maybe a little better with that. But overall, I think I drank a lot. But I guess I've got to drink more.

Q. Did you really feel it at the end of the fourth set, the dehydration and cramping?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I mean, if he would have won that set, that have been an entertaining fifth set. I mean, he was cramping worse than I was. I don't know what that would have been in the fifth set. Just serve and one shot.

Q. Did he say anything after you targeted his nether regions?

SAM QUERREY: I went up and said, Sorry. You know, we kind of laughed it off a little bit because we're buddies. But, yeah. It happens.

Q. Were you ever on the receiving end of one of those?

SAM QUERREY: No, we talked about that. I can't remember ever getting hit there.

Q. Where are you mentally right now compared to where you were in Paris? A lot has happened since then. You beat Murray in LA, but you seem to be in a different place.

SAM QUERREY: Much better. I'm feeling good out there. I'm just trying to stay positive and keep my mind off things. A lot of it, I think, is this Power Balance that I have been wearing. Kind of after every point I have to adjust it and pull it back up on my arm. So it almost gives me something to do after every point. I can't, you know, spend time getting mad at myself, because every point I have to like adjust this. So it's just a little bit of a habit and I think a tendency. I think that's really been helping me.

Q. Coming out of Paris, if I remember correctly, you were, I'm done, I'm done traveling. Seemed a little burnt out.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I was.

Q. Mentally, where are you? Do you feel fresher coming in here? It's been a long, hot summer? How did you recover from that?

SAM QUERREY: I recovered well, because I went home for six days and then came back and had a great Queen's and great Wimbledon. You know, I had some time off before LA. Had a good like two weeks. In Cincinnati I lost to Ferrer like on Wednesday, so I almost had another two full weeks to kind relax and prepare myself, which was really nice. I'm coming into here feeling really fresh.

Q. What do you know about Ryan Harrison, and what are your expectations for John later on?

SAM QUERREY: Ryan, I mean, I've known Ryan for four or five years. I have hit with him since he was like 15. I was thrilled for him. When I walked back into the locker room, it was like 4 2 or something in the fourth set. So I'm really excited for him. He works really hard, and he did a great job qualifying. I'm ecstatic for him. Hopefully he plays Stakhovsky next round, I think. I mean, if he plays well he can win that one and he could be I think he's 18 he could make the third, fourth round here.

Q. What do you think of his potential?

SAM QUERREY: It's good. I mean, I think the best thing about his game is that he really wants to be a good tennis player. You know, he goes out there and tries really hard and wants to be good. That's a big part of it. He's also a great player, too.

Q. What about John Isner?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, he's got a couple more hours to go, and hopefully his ankle is feeling well. It's still a little swollen. He's not known for just grinding side to side, anyway. You know, I'm assuming he's gonna, you know, serve big as always and probably take a few more chances on the return games than he normally does so he can kind of shorten the points. I hit with him the other day. He seems to be all right.

Q. Do you think it could be a problem because he hasn't had as much preparation as he would have liked?

SAM QUERREY: Possibly. I'm not sure.

Q. How much difference mentally do you think there is between, say, top 8, 10, 12 players and the next group or maybe the top 4? In other words, when people play matches, do you think that it's in the head, Hey, I'm playing Federer. This guy is great. Or, Hey, I can go out there and just play with him. Do you have to sort of learn how to play with the top players?

SAM QUERREY: You definitely have to learn. I remember the first time I played Roger when I was 18. I went out there knowing I was gonna lose.

Q. Why?

SAM QUERREY: I was 18. He was like amazing. It was in Miami. It was a night match. I didn't know I was going to lose, but I assumed I was gonna lose. First time, I don't want to embarrass myself out there.But the more that I played, you know, Roger and Rafa and Andy and practiced with them, you know, you take the occasional set off them in practice and take a set here or two in the match and you beat a top 10 guy, then you kind of start to get the belief. You know, even if you know, I beat Roddick next last year who was ranked 7. When you see him beat these guys, it kind of gives you the belief that you could beat these guys too. It definitely takes a couple of years to get used to, you know, practicing with them, playing with them, and, you know, then you can beat them.

Q. Ryan, I believe, said that this is the first time he's beaten a top 20 player. I could be wrong, but I believe that's what he said. Do you remember when you did that, who it was, and what did that do for you?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, first time I beat a top 20 player...

Q. Or however you remember it.

SAM QUERREY: I remember the first time at Indianapolis I beat James Blake and he was top 10. That was awesome. I remember the feeling. That was the match I had 10 aces in a row, and I think I had 30 in the match.It was kind of a steppingstone of your career. It's really exciting. I'm sure obviously he's pumped up, and I'm sure he'll have a lot more wins like that.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv … 31077.html

#35 05-09-2010 11:00:36

Serenity

User

US Open 2010 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 2 rundzie

Q. In the on court interview afterwards, you said your arm felt loose on your serve. How did that affect your serve?

SAM QUERREY: No. My serve, I was getting great pop. Every time I was hitting it flat down the T or out wide on the ad, it felt like it was somewhere between 135 and 140, so that's a little faster than normal.

Q. Did you catch any of the Harrison match?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I watched pretty much the entire fourth and fifth set. It was pretty exciting. I was in the lunchroom. Everyone had their eyes glued to the TV. I felt bad for Ryan, but still a great tournament. I've been hitting with him for three or four years. He's going to be good.

Q. When you see an up and coming kid make some way in the Open, does that harken you back to a time when you were in that position?

SAM QUERREY: A little bit, yeah. I know what the feeling is like. At the same time it motivates me a little bit. I don't want him taking away the limelight. I want to go out there and play well. Yeah, when you're 18, first Open, I mean, I remember when I was doing mine. It's exciting. Ryan played great. He should be really happy with qualifying, making the second round.

Q. Seeing that Roddick is out, it's just you and Isner and Mardy Fish, the American crew there. You're one of the top Americans left. Does it give you any extra push to say, I have to carry the mantle for the United States?

SAM QUERREY: I'm not feeling any pressure or anything. I think the four of us left are all doing our best. To have four guys in the round of 32, it's pretty good. Hopefully we can have four in the Round of 16. I think we've got a great shot to do that. Hopefully they'll put some of us on center court. Not a huge fan of the scheduling this week (laughter).

Q. That is center court.

SAM QUERREY: We have a lot of Americans here. None of us play on center court. If you go to the French Open, they have Gasquet, Benneteau, Monfils; they're on center court every day.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv … 17777.html

#36 05-09-2010 15:15:04

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Querrey looking for major breakthrough

John Isner became a tennis folks hero after his marathon victory over Nicolas Mahut at Wimbledon. James Blake has always been a wildly popular player at the US Open due to his New York and southern Connecticut roots. Andy Roddick has been the most successful American player since 2003 and is well known to the international public. The veteran Mardy Fish has become a poster boy for the positive effects of weight loss on high-level players.

Sam Querrey, ranked No. 22, is hoping to sneak his way into the second week and make some serious noise.

Laid back off the court with a seemingly easygoing posture on court, Querrey says that he burns inside, and given that he's won four titles on three different surfaces in 2010, he's shown a good amount of grit. He realizes that it's time that he stepped up at a major and display his full arsenal.

He's good enough to make a quarterfinal run or better. The question is whether he can find a way to impose his style when the big matches come. With Roddick out of the tournament, he, Isner, Blake and Fish are the last Americans standing. None of them have reached the semis of a major, but all are capable if they produce their best.

"I'm not feeling any pressure or anything," said Querrey, who will play Spain's Nicolas Almagro in the third round on Sunday. "To have four guys in the Round of 32, it's pretty good. Hopefully we can have four in the Round of 16. I think we've got a great shot to do that."

While Querrey has been brilliant at times this year, he has not performed at his best at the majors or the Masters Series, failing to advance beyond the fourth round in any of them. At the majors, he took first round losses to Rainier Schuettler and Robby Ginepri in Melbourne and Paris, and went down to Andy Murray at Wimbledon in the fourth round after winning the grasscourt title in Queens the week before.

He got a measure of revenge on Murray by coming from match points down to defeat him in the final of LA, but then went 2-3 in his next three tournaments. Querrey is tough to figure out, but he's been trying to save energy for the US Open, so maybe getting a slight breather in August will pay off.

" I'm feeling good out there," he said. "I almost had another two full weeks to kind relax and prepare myself, which was really nice. I'm coming into here feeling really fresh. "

Querrey will be a slight favorite going into his match with clay court expert Almagro, whom he beat 6-3, 6-2 the only time they faced off on an outdoor hard court at 2009 Auckland. The No. 14 seeded Almagro has a huge first serve for his height, heavy groundstrokes off both wings and can finish points off at the net, but he'll have trouble adjusting to Querrey's raw, flat power.

The American can ace and service winner himself through numerous games, has a forehand that can blow holes in the back walls, a decent but not overwhelming backhand and a reasonable volley that's improved quite a bit since he took up playing nearly full time doubles with Isner.

But the Southern Californian has had trouble staying focused at the majors. He has to be careful about getting down on himself and make sure not to hit himself out of matches. If he engages the crowd and also allows them to pump him up, they could carry him through some rough spots.

Two years ago at the US Open, Querrey knocked off Tomas Berdych and Ivo Karlovic and reached the fourth round before going down to Rafa Nadal in four sets. Last year, Robin Soderling stung him in four sets in the third round.

This year, the 22-year-old comes in with his highest ranking and should be ready to rumble. If he manages to knock off Almagro, he will likely face Murray in the fourth round, the same guy he took down in late July. In the quarters, he could fave Isner, whom he's beaten twice this year. He's not a boastful guy, but Querrey has serious semifinal possibilities.

"I'm just trying to stay positive and keep my mind off things," he said. " A lot of it, I think, is this Power Balance that I have been wearing. Kind of after every point I have to adjust it and pull it back up on my arm. So it almost gives me something to do after every point. I can't, spend time getting mad at myself, because every point I have to adjust it. So it's just a little bit of a habit and I think a tendency. I think that's really been helping me."

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articl … 31503.html

#37 06-09-2010 22:46:24

Serenity

User

US Open 2010 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 3 rundzie

Q. Have you played your way into Ashe Stadium?

SAM QUERREY: I hope so. (Laughter.)

Um, yeah, I mean, a little bit might depend who wins there, but I think I'll get a good shot. I don't think Mardy is on there tomorrow, I think, right? I've heard.

Yeah, I think so.

Q. So we're down to the three musketeers, are we?

SAM QUERREY: You mean Mardy, John, and myself?

Q. In the States. Yeah.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I guess so. Hopefully John can play well tonight against Youzhny and we'll have three guys in the round of 16.

Q. Pretty good.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah. I'm not sure when the last time we had that.

Q. Pretty noisy over there. Even though you weren't on Ashe, it was Ashe-like noise.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, it was great. It was a full house over there and it still is. I think, you know, I'm sold out today, so it was fun to play in front of the packed stadium all day.

Q. How much of a sense of pride or importance is there beyond your own accomplishments to see a couple of other American guys make it?

SAM QUERREY: It's great, you know. You just -- you want to see all the Americans on the men's side and the women's side go deep. It makes it exciting for us. Makes it more exciting for the fans, I think, because they want to have Americans to cheer for.

We're all cheering for each other, and hopefully we can just keep going.

Q. Is that anything you guys talk about, say, you and John?

SAM QUERREY: Um, a little bit. I mean, we don't really -- I mean, we just -- I mean, I don't know how we talk about it. Like we just cheer for each other. We've jokingly talked about meeting in the quarters. That would be ideal, you know. We want to play each other in the quarters, but I've got to win again; John's gotta win two more times.

Q. Coming into this tournament, there was the familiar refrain about, What happened to U.S. men's tennis? When you hear that, what goes through your mind? And as you're doing well in the tournament, is that on your mind at all?o

SAM QUERREY: Um, I mean, yeah, you always hear that. It's kind of like any sport. You've got waves where you'll have a group of Americans in the top 10; you might have a couple years where we don't. It's like with the Lakers. They'll win some championships and they won't make the playoffs. It's just like that.

But, you know, we haven't had a -- it's tough. The average sports fan basically watches the Grand Slams. If you don't have a guy in the finals or winning one of those, you know, tennis is, you know, it's -- you don't really get a lot of recognition, you know.

And so, you know, hopefully we can have someone win a Grand Slam. That's what we need. John and Mardy and myself, the three guys left, we're trying our best.

You know, and after this -- after this tournament we'll have four guys in the top 20, I think, you know, with Andy, John, Mardy, and myself, which I don't think we've had in a long time.

So, you know, we might not have a guy in the, you know, top 5, but four guys in the top 20 is pretty good.

Q. So in your mind, how much of that familiar refrain is a misconception?

SAM QUERREY: Um, I mean, most of it, because just like I said, four guys in the top 20 is pretty good, you know, compared to -- Spain is probably the only country that's got that.

But at the same time, you know, the average sports fan watches the Grand Slams and they watch on Saturday and Sunday and the semis and the finals. That's what we need to do. We need to get some guys there.

Q. Are you beginning to feel the spirit that Connors, McEnroe, Sampras, and Agassi experienced on the court now?

SAM QUERREY: What was the question?

Q. You're beginning to feel the spirit that Connors McEnroe and Sampras and Agassi experienced with the fans today?

SAM QUERREY: They were all out there supporting me, which was really awesome and really fun. Those guys had that all the time, I think, the American fans getting behind the Americans.

Q. Do you feel like you're playing well right now compared to, say, how you were playing in LA or some of the other summer tournaments?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I feel like I'm playing the best I've played all summer. Makes it a little tough today when it's kind of wind. Both guys don't play their absolute best.

But considering the conditions, I felt I played really well. Hopefully I can play better in the next round.

Q. Will you watch the match when you leave here?

SAM QUERREY: No. I mean, I might peek over every now and then, but I've played both guys before. I've watched enough. You know, I've watched them play a bunch, so I don't need to sit and watch the entire match.

Q. If it does turn out to be Andy Murray you will play, could you just talk about that? You've know him for a long time and played him a few times, as you've said.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I think we played five times. He beat me four; I've beaten him once, which was in LA. Whatever guy will be tough, but if it's Andy, he's playing well. He won Montreal [sic]. If I'm gonna beat him, I'm gonna have to serve extremely well and hit my forehand well.

Q. What was the key to your win today, and how did the wind play a factor in what you did on court?

SAM QUERREY: It wasn't windy enough that it affected too many things. I was just solid on my service games, and especially the three or four breakpoints I faced. I mean, I made him earn those points, which he didn't earn, I guess. I won 'em.

You know, I just hung in there on his service games and played well, and I was hitting my forehand well, and, you know, I was trying to just stay aggressive.

Q. With so much depth with the men's field, what is the difference, you think, between the champions and the guys who might even rise as high as 6 or 7 on something? Is it tennis skill? Is it in the head? Is it just consistency? What do you think?

SAM QUERREY: Combination of all three of those. A lot of those guys, Federer, Nadal, you know, they've -- for the last five years they've been in the semis and finals of slams, you know, every slam, basically, so they've been there before.

So if you -- let's say I were to jump into a semifinal of a slam, it's new for me. I might be a little nervous. A lot of it is mental. Those guys are strong in their head and they don't give away free points.

A lot of it is skill. I mean, Federer hits those 'tweener shots at will. I can't do that. (Laughter.)

Q. How big of an advantage is it to have the crowd behind you? Regardless of what court you're in on the next round, you're gonna have a majority of the support.

SAM QUERREY: It's great, you know. It's really exciting and fires me up, you know. The other Americans love it, too.

You know, we're just fortunate to have a slam in America. I love it. You know, I think the fans want -- they want someone -- they want someone they feel they have a connection with. Being an American, they want to cheer for us.

Q. Do you think Almagro was a little bit undone by crowd sentiment today?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, especially that group of guys going crazy in the front row. I thought they were great. I don't know who they were, but... (laughter.)

You know, I liked them. He was letting it bother him a little bit. But, I mean, you know, if I go play in Spain, you know, probably have that against me.

Q. You've done well in the smaller tournaments. I think you've won four this year. What do you have to do to carry that same kind of success to the next level, to the Cincinnatis or to the slams?

SAM QUERREY: I mean, I feel like I'm doing -- I mean, I made the fourth round of Wimbledon and now the fourth round here. Just going in with a good mindset and a positive attitude and just gotta play well.

Q. You spoke earlier about if your opponent in the next round is Andy Murray. If the upset occurs and it's Wawrinka, can you describe what that matchup would be for you since we're not going to have an opportunity to speak with you before that?

SAM QUERREY: Um, I mean, I've played Stan one time in Indian Wells like three years ago, and he beat me like 12-10 in the third set tiebreaker, or something like that.

I mean, that will be a tough one. Stan is one of the guys that hits the balls so big from both sides. If he gets hot, he can beat anyone. He can hit the ball so well and so clean. That would be someone you need to get him out of his comfort zone and mix it up and, you know, serve big and maybe attack his second serve and maybe catch him off guard a little bit.

Q. You made the fourth round here a couple years back. How, if at all, would you say you're different as a player and maybe as a person?

SAM QUERREY: I mean, I'm definitely much fitter and much more professional. I think every aspect of my game is a little better now, especially my return game and my backhand. I think those used to be a little bit of a weakness, but now I feel like those are almost strengths.

I feel like I'm much faster, too; my speed and court sense is a lot better.

Q. When does it hit you to say, Hey, I've got to be professional about this and really work on it, and you thought perhaps before that everything was okay but you needed more?

SAM QUERREY: Um, what?

Q. Well, when you finally told Sam Querrey, I'm not working hard enough, and if I'm gonna be a professional, I'm gonna be a professional.

SAM QUERREY: It was basically the day that I turned pro. I turned -- you know, changed my work ethic then, and I feel like I've worked pretty hard since that day.

Q. What was that day?

SAM QUERREY: June 2006. I don't remember the exact day.

Q. No, but summer of...

SAM QUERREY: It was summer of '06. The first challenger I played Yuba City where I was actually a professional I knew I wasn't going to college. Worked really hard and won the first one, and then quickly moved up the ranks, which made it a -- you know, kind of like just made me feel good about my decision to turn pro.

Q. How would you describe Mardy's transformation?

SAM QUERREY: I honestly think everyone's kind of rough on him. They make him sound like he was just fat before this year and that they're surprised he could play.

I mean, the guy used to be 17 in the world. You know, he finaled Indian Wells. I feel like the commentators were surprised that he could move, you know. (Laughter.)

I mean, it's obviously helped him. He's much quicker and he's much fitter. He's playing great right now. You know, he's won Newport; he won Atlanta; finaled Cincinnati. Now he's in the fourth round here.

I think he's gonna play well against Novak. It's definitely helped him, but, I mean, it's not like -- he's not like a different player.

Q. Are you going to ask him advice on how to play Murray?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I'll talk about it a little bit with him. We'll see what he has to say later tonight.

Q. You go to Roland Garros, and Clément and Tsonga and Monfils are always on center court; except for a couple of matches, you and John and Mardy have been pretty much on Armstrong or Grandstand. Could you comment on that, and do you think it would help your games to be on a big stage more often?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I definitely don't think it could hurt. It's maybe comfortable -- I think we would feel more comfortable if we -- especially if John, Mardy, and myself for the first rounds played on Ashe, instead of playing on Armstrong, Grandstand, and all of a sudden you're out on Ashe for the first time.

I definitely think it would help. I don't know what goes into the schedule. I know a lot of it is TV and stuff like that. It would be nice if we could play a few more matches on Ashe. But, you know, I don't have any control over that.

Q. Have you played a match on Ashe yet?

Q. So if this turned out to be a night match, what are your feelings going into that?

SAM QUERREY: It would be exciting. Everyone wants to play a night match at the US Open. Hopefully I'll get the chance.

Q. I would imagine that every player at some point has that moment where they say, You know what, I can win this thing; I can win this tournament. Have you had that moment yet, or are you still waiting for that moment?

SAM QUERREY: Um, you know, I'm not sure. I definitely think I could, you know, make a run. If I keep playing well, I've got a shot to -- you know, I feel like if I play my best, you know, I could beat anyone.

So hopefully -- you know, I've got to prove it, you know, maybe against the top 10 guy first. But, you know, I'm definitely playing well right now and I'm pretty confident.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv … 34813.html

#38 09-09-2010 18:08:31

Serenity

User

US Open 2010 - wywiad po porażce w 4 rundzie

Q. What do you think was the difference in the fifth set?

SAM QUERREY: Just a couple points here and there. It was like every set was like that, just really just a couple of points in every set that made the difference.

Q. It was such an incredible match to watch, but at the same time it's gotta to be emotionally, you know, so difficult. You played your heart out. What was it like coming off the court? How do you feel, basically, after that?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, it was tough. You know, four and a half hours. I was pretty sad in the locker room for a little while. I mean, I don't feel that great right now. You know, pretty tired. My body is tired. But, I mean, it was an unbelievable match. Stan played great.

Q. Can you talk a little bit about, was it disappointing at all for the American men that you guys have all been eliminated before the quarterfinals in the second straight year?

SAM QUERREY: Um, yeah, I mean, we want to make the quarterfinals. It doesn't we're trying our best. I was very close, but hopefully next year is another year, and hopefully have a few guys in the quarters.

Q. Did you feel any pressure at all?

SAM QUERREY: No, not at all.

Q. When you win the fourth set, do you feel like you have all the momentum going into the fifth, or does the fifth become its own entity?

SAM QUERREY: I feel like it becomes its own entity a little bit. I felt like at the beginning I think I had break points the beginning of the fifth. I can't really remember.

Q. You did.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, maybe a little bit ofd momentum, but not much. It's kind of that fifth set just kind of that last decider.

Q. Were you trying to channel your inner John Isner on that, a fifth set with how long it was going?

SAM QUERREY: No, I mean, you know, it can only last about an hour, which is nice, because my leg was starting to tighten up.

Q. He said that he thought you were getting a little bit tired and that you changed up I guess after the first three games or the first four games of the fifth set. Was that how it changed to you?

SAM QUERREY: That I changed up?

Q. That you changed up your game a little bit trying to compensate a little bit for some maybe some fatigue?

SAM QUERREY: Maybe a little bit, but not that much. My leg was starting to cramp a little, but not to the point I had to like alter anything, I didn't feel like.

Q. Which leg?

SAM QUERREY: Right leg.

Q. Is this the kind of match, because it was so close, that you'll replay a lot of the points in your head, or do you tend to just kind of let it go and move on?

SAM QUERREY: No, I'll let it go. I didn't even know I had a breakpoint in the fifth set. Those volleys in the third were a little disappointing, but other than that, you know, I'll let it go.

Q. Late in the, I think it was maybe the last game in the match, at 30 All I think you tried to serve and volley. First time you did it all match, I think. Was that out of tiredness or trying to change it up?

SAM QUERREY: Just trying to change it up, you know, catch him off guard. He was slicing the forehand return, so, you know, I wanted to, you know, serve and volley, and, you know, not let him get away with that again.

Q. How would you describe just the atmosphere and how you felt about playing in there?

SAM QUERREY: It was great. The crowd was unbelievable. It's fun to play in there. It was so windy in there, which makes it tough, but I thought the crowd was great. You know, tried my best.

Q. Does it help you go about your business to have that all going on around you, or does it help you start to fight to stay in the match?

SAM QUERREY: No, they get me energized. They do that with all the Americans, and I'd much rather play on a court like that with everyone cheering for me than in Switzerland. (Laughter.)

Q. You know, the first couple of sets they seemed like they still had the Labor Day blahs, the crowd. Only when you made a great shot or something did they sort of awaken. Just wondered if you sort of felt that.

SAM QUERREY: It's tough. We both have big serves, so, you know, it's not it's not Nadal Ferrer where you're going side to side all day. But, um, yeah, you know, I kind of had to break him in the second set to kind of get him energized. Had to give him something to get fired up about, and, you know, luckily I did.

Q. There were a lot of unforced errors out there, and I was wondering how much you would say that was attributable to the windy conditions?

SAM QUERREY: A lot. It was really tough to play out there. It was really, really windy. The one side is like downwind the entire time; the other side is into the wind. I mean, that has everything to do with the unforced errors.

Q. End of the third set, do you remember you made a couple of pretty bad volleys?

SAM QUERREY: Thanks.

Q. Do you recall those at all?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah. I said earlier those are kind of the two shots I can look back and that I remember and I'm a little bummed about. The first one was kind of tough. The wind kind of got it behind my head a little bit. The other one was inexcusable.

Q. You said you didn't feel any pressure at all in terms of being the last American, but was that in any way something you had thought about, cared about?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, you think about it. I mean, you guys tell me that every day I'm in here. (Laughter.) I didn't feel any extra pressure or anything. I definitely wanted to win and keep the American men, keep the hope going. You know, I was close.

Q. Is it personally frustrating to have to answer questions about the state of American men's tennis every time you lose a tennis match?

SAM QUERREY: A little bit, yeah. I get asked the same question all summer.

Q. Four titles this year; some decent runs; a good runs here, but not quite able to get it to the final stages. Do you think you're ready to build on this? Is this a building block for you? Or what will you take from this?

SAM QUERREY: Definitely, yeah. I mean, the last two Slams, Wimbledon and here, made the round of 16, and have been close to getting into the quarterfinals. Hopefully I can keep that up in the slams. You know, I think I can win that round of 16 match, and, you know, keep winning matches after that.

Q. I believe you were quoted as saying you want more Americans to be playing Ashe even earlier in the tournament, that that would give an advantage. I was wondering if that was quoted regardless of ranking, I was just curious what your thoughts are on that.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I said that.

Q. Should be like affirmative action for Americans on Ashe?

SAM QUERREY: It's not a big deal. I just casually mentioned it. I mean...

Q. Did you expect to reach a quarterfinal this year, and what's your frustration level with not doing it in 2010?

SAM QUERREY: No, you know, I'm not really -- I don't set my goals on what round do I want to make it to. It's more just how I play and attitude out there, and, you know, doing the right things. This has been a great week, and, you know, I left it all out there today and I didn't get to the quarters. I'm bummed, but I did everything I could.

Q. Andy is the only guy to reach a slam quarter this year, American guy. What would you attribute that to? Is that satisfying for the U.S. guys to know that Europeans are basically taking over the slams?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I mean, Andy is good. He's been in the top 10 for like last seven or eight years. He had a good year, especially more so the first six months. But, I mean, it's annoying, that the Europeans are in the quarters every slam. We're trying. (Smiling.)

Q. Getting back to your serve, you mentioned before that was a big serving match. In some of those crucial moments you missed a bunch of first serves and you had crucial moments in second serves. Do you feel like it let you down a little bit today?

SAM QUERREY: A little bit. But, you know, not much. Those crucial moments you're gonna be a little more nervous, and, you know, it's a little tougher to make the serve in. Sometimes I made it; sometimes I didn't. You always want to make it, so I was a little bummed when I didn't make it on those match points or, you know, late in the third. But it's tough to put a serve in when it gets close like that. You know, nerves creep in for anyone.

Q. You seem to play very calm on the exterior in a big match like this. Is that a true reading, or is there stuff going on in there?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah. The only time I was really, you know, pissed at myself was after I missed that volley in the third set. Kind of threw the racquet down a little bit. Other than that, I was trying to stay calm and relaxed and not waste any unnecessary energy on emotions.

Q. Davis Cup captain is a pretty important role in American tennis. If they came to you and said, Hey, give us an indication of who you prefer, who would you say?

SAM QUERREY: Who I prefer?

Q. Uh huh.

SAM QUERREY: You know, I haven't even thought about it. I know I know Jim I just heard that Jim Courier wants it and I think Todd Martin. I'm not really sure how it works, if they put their name if they have to announce their name to the USTA, but I heard Jim and Todd are the front runners.

Q. Do you have a preference yourself?

SAM QUERREY: No. I mean, I don't know who's wanted to longer. Probably I've heard Jim's wanted it for a long time, but, you know, I'd be fine with Jim or Todd.

Q. Also, finally, if you could just assess Pat's role as Davis Cup captain.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I've played three ties for him, and then I've been the practice partner playing four or five times. How long has he been the captain?

Q. Ten years.

SAM QUERREY: It's been a great ten years. He won a Davis Cup, which every coach wants to do, and, you know, he's a great captain. He's fun to have around. I'm bummed to see him go, but, you know, I know he's got a lot on his plate with USTA and ESPN and everything. We've kind of got a new wave coming up now, so maybe it's time for a new coach, as well.

Q. You've been talking a lot this year about peaking at the slams. Is this the closest you've come to bringing your best game ever at a major?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, here and Wimbledon, I thought I played great both of them. If I can keep playing that, I think I can go further than the round of 16 at the slams.

Q. You had an incredible match with him at Indian Wells. What is it about your styles that create this kind of tennis? And the second question, have you hit with the kid Collarini? What do you think of him?

SAM QUERREY: I think it's that coincidence both times we've played they've been great matches. I wouldn't necessarily think it's anything with our game styles matching up. Maybe a little bit. Maybe we both have big serves. You know, big servers usually win close sets. And Collarini, I've hit with him all summer. Did he win today?

Q. Yeah.

SAM QUERREY: He's a great kid; always has a smile on his face. He's our practice partner in Colombia, and I've been practicing with him. He's very good. He's learning to play on hard courts. He's gonna be good.

Q. Speaking of Colombia, given the state of American tennis, is it really more than imperative to win this Davis Cup now more than ever, try to bring back some glory to the red, white, and blue to create some fan interest?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, you know, we're gonna try. Hopefully we can get a win. We have a good team going down. If you match everyone up on paper we have the better team, but it's gonna be the four of us have never really played on the altitude like that, so we don't really know what it's gonna be like. Falla and her Giraldo are two tough players in singles.

Q. I guess what I'm getting at is the Ryder Cup, the golf equivalent, it was shown on NBC where the Davis Cup is on the minor league Tennis Channel. So that's what I'm saying, the importance of winning gets you to that next level for media exposure.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, it's huge. The U.S. is a World Group country, so we need to win this to get back in the World Group next year. We don't want to be in the Group B.

Q. You mentioned a few moments ago Nadal and Ferrer scampering around versus your bigger serve. You haven't played Nadal for a couple years. When you last played, did you feel like it was attackable or even a liability?

SAM QUERREY: No, just because a lefty is a lefty. If he was a righty, maybe a little bit. But because he's lefty, I personally struggle with lefty serves, so I don't think it's attackable.

Q. But back then you didn't think it was attackable?

SAM QUERREY: I didn't think it was back then, either. He has a better return, maybe.

Q. You have some relatively quick turn around time between here and Davis Cup. In general, how does your body bounce back? It's a physical match. How do you think you'll bounce back?

SAM QUERREY: I think it will be all right. We don't actually play till Friday, so we've got ten days to recover. I'll take three, four days off here, and then go down there and you know, I'm kind of curious to see how my body and Mardy's and John's and Ryan's will kind of react to the altitude. I think there's enough -- there's like ten days, so we should be fine.

Q. Obviously Roger has far more slams than Rafa, but right now, here now, who do you think is a better player?

SAM QUERREY: I mean, that's tough to not say Rafa, because he won French and Wimbledon. But I think on the hard court I would say Federer.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv … 01170.html

#39 17-11-2010 20:29:06

Art

User

Querrey ratuje Las Vegas

Władze Las Vegas, w obliczu 47-milionowego deficytu w kasie komunalnej, wszędzie szukają oszczędności. Znalazły je także w Darling Tennis Center, gdzie w latach 2006-08 rozgrywany był turniej ATP. Chciały zamknąć należące do miasta korty, ale z pomocą przyszedł Sam Querrey. Amerykański tenisista oraz jego krewni wzięli na siebie koszty utrzymania obiektu (ok. miliona dolarów rocznie) oraz zapewnili, że zrobią wszystko, aby kompleks sam na siebie zarobił.
Querrey wygrał do tej pory sześć turniejów ATP. Pierwszy – dwa lata temu – właśnie w Las Vegas.

http://www.tenisklub.pl/?req=news&newsI … 44887eff01

#40 08-12-2010 14:07:58

jaccol55

Administrator

Aces & Faults: Gone...And Back Again

Press conferences with tennis players don’t usually get as honest as the one Sam Querrey conducted after his first-round loss at the French Open. "I got tired,” Querrey admitted. Not unusual, perhaps, but then Querrey kept going. “Mentally not there.” And going. “Just did not enjoy myself out there. It’s been like that on and off for awhile. So I’m going home tomorrow.” Querrey, true to his word, dropped out of the doubles with partner John Isner and hightailed it back to California. He and Isner had played an ambitious schedule during the spring, and it caught up with him in Paris. At 22, Querrey is young enough to bounce back quickly, but it was still a surprise to see just how quickly his competitive juices started to flow again. Two weeks after fleeing France, Querrey flew back to Europe, won at Queens, reached the fourth round at Wimbledon, and, a few weeks later, beat Andy Murray for the title back in L.A.

http://www.tennis.com/articles/template … 4&zoneid=9

Stopka forum

RSS