Re: US Open 2009

#42 28-08-2009 16:21:28

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer

US Open Draw Challenge Analysis
New York, U.S.A.

The final Grand Slam tournament of the season gets underway Monday in Flushing Meadows and the question going in is "Who can stop Roger Federer?"

The five-time US Open defending champion looks to become the first man to win three straight Slam tournament titles in the same season since Rod Laver completed the Grand Slam in 1969. American Bill Tilden is the last man to win six consecutive US Championships from 1920-25.

Federer has won 34 consecutive matches at the US Open since losing to David Nalbandian in the fourth round in 2003. The Swiss superstar has only been extended to five sets twice during the streak.

Federer, who has won 26 of the past 27 matches since mid-May with four titles, opens against American teenage wild card Devin Britton. The first seed Federer could meet is No. 31 and 2001 US Open champ Lleyton Hewitt in the third round (Federer leads 15-7, winning 13 in a row). In the fourth round, Federer could face No. 14 seed Tommy Robredo (Federer leads 8-0) or No. 21 James Blake (Federer leads 9-1). In the quarter-finals, Federer is a combined 29-0 against the four possible seeds in his section -- No. 8 Nikolay Davydenko (12-0), No. 12 Robin Soderling (11-0), No. 22 Sam Querrey (2-0) or No. No. 26 Paul-Henri Mathieu (4-0).

In the second quarter of the draw, No. 4 Novak Djokovic and No. 5 Andy Roddick are the highest seeds and possible semi-final opponents for Federer who has advanced to the semis or better in a record 21 straight Grand Slam tournaments. Djokovic opens against former World No. 3 Ivan Ljubicic (Djokovic leads 3-1) and he could take on No. 29 Igor Andreev in the third round (Djokovic leads 4-0).  In the fourth round, Djokovic could meet No. 15 Radek Stepanek (Djokovic leads 3-1) or No. 23 Philipp Kohlschreiber (tied 1-1). Roddick plays German veteran Bjorn Phau in his opening round match and his first seed is No. 28 Victor Hanescu in the third round. Hanescu plays John Isner (11-5 this summer) in the opening round.  In the fourth round, Roddick could play No. 10 Fernando Verdasco (Roddick leads 9--2, won seven straight) or No. 20 Tommy Haas (Haas leads 7-5, Roddick 4-3 on hard). Roddick owns a 4-2 lead over Djokovic, winning the last three meetings this season. It will be hard not for Djokovic or Roddick to get through to the semi-finals.

In the bottom half of the draw, in the third quarter, No. 3 Rafael Nadal finds himself not seeded No. 1 or 2 in a Grand Slam tournament for the first time since 2005 Wimbledon. The Spaniard opens with Frenchman Richard Gasquet (Nadal leads 6-0) and the first seed he could meet is countryman and No. 32 Nicolas Almagro (Nadal leads 3-0). In the fourth round, possible seeded opponents include No. 13 Gael Monfils (Nadal leads 4-1) or another countryman No. 18 David Ferrer (Nadal leads 8-3, tied 2-2 on hard). In the quarter-finals, No. 7 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (Nadal leads 3-1) or No. 11 Fernando Gonzalez (Nadal leads 6-3) are the highest seeds and No. 17 Tomas Berdych is also a threat (Nadal leads 5-3, winning last four). Berdych and Gonzalez could meet in a third round showdown (tied 3-3). Nadal will be tested early but look for the Spaniard to gain momentum and make a charge deep into the second week.

In the final quarter of the draw, last year's runner-up Andy Murray is the first British man to hold the No. 2 seeding since Fred Perry in 1935. Murray, who owns the best hard court record (34-3) this year and who is a winner of five ATP World Tour titles, takes on free-swinging Latvian Ernests Gulbis in the first round (Murray leads 3-0). Murray could have a tough third round assignment with big-serving Croat Ivo Karlovic, the No. 27 seed (Murray leads 3-0).  In the fourth round, Murray's possible seeded opponents are No. 16 Marin Cilic (Murray leads 3-0) or No. 19 Stanislas Wawrinka (Murray leads 5-3, including 4-1 on hard). In the quarter-finals, Murray could take on No. 6 Juan Martin del Potro, who has reached the quarters or better in three of the past four Grand Slam tournaments. The 20-year-old Argentine is coming off a title in Washington (d. Roddick) and runner-up in Montreal (l. to Murray). He opens against countryman Juan Monaco and No. 25 Mardy Fish is a possible third round opponent (Fish leads 2-1). In the fourth round, No. 9 Gilles Simon (tied 1-1) or No. 24 Juan Carlos Ferrero (Ferrero leads 2-0) are possible foes. Murray and del Potro are solid choices for a run into the final eight.                                                                                                                 
Federer has beaten five different opponents in his five final victories; will there be a sixth this year? Or will there be a new champion for the first time since 2003?

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … eview.aspx

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#43 28-08-2009 21:29:12

Fed-Expresso

Masta

Ulubiony zawodnik: Rafael "The Slice King" Nadal

Ten Devin Britton to nie musi być spacerek, chłopak to finalista juniorskiego USO z zeszłego roku. Wygląda na to, że to utalentowany zawodnik, nie mówię że on seta ugra oczywiście ale wydaje mi się, że jeśli nie spali się psychicznie to możemy obejrzeć niezły mecz.

#44 28-08-2009 21:32:57

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Fed-Expresso napisał:

Ten Devin Britton to nie musi być spacerek, chłopak to finalista juniorskiego USO z zeszłego roku. Wygląda na to, że to utalentowany zawodnik, nie mówię że on seta ugra oczywiście ale wydaje mi się, że jeśli nie spali się psychicznie to możemy obejrzeć niezły mecz.

Cenne doświadczenie zbierze na pewno Tak się zakręciłem koło Jego profilu na stronie ATP. Chłopak w marcu skończył 18 lat, jest obecnie 1364 w rankingu Entry i... ma bardzo starannie odnowiony profil Nawet zdjęcie jest, czyli to czego nie ma tam Jurek Janowicz, sklasyfikowany ponad 1000 miejsc wyżej.

Devin Britton:
Profil na stronie ATP: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Play … itton.aspx
Strona internetowa: http://devinbritton.com/Devinbritton/Welcome.html ( to to jest już hit )

Kwale mieli grać, ale pada.

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#45 28-08-2009 21:41:36

Fed-Expresso

Masta

Awans Jerzyka to mógłby być przełom, gdzie Polak wkroczyłby być może na stale do grona tych etatowych Szlemowców.

Idealnie gdyby go wylosowali do Simona Greula, możliwość obejrzenia Janowicza przeciwko Szwajcarowi to byłoby coś niesamowitego.

#46 28-08-2009 21:53:51

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

W Nowym Jorku przestało padać. Za chwilę Jurek zacznie decydujący mecz kwalifikacyjny.

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#47 28-08-2009 23:11:48

Kubecki

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Novak Djokovic

W NY znowu pada. Jurka raczej zabraknie w MD.

Devvarman 63 *52

#48 29-08-2009 15:55:20

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Wschodnie wybrzeże USA nawiedził ponoć sztorm, stąd gry zostały wstrzymane. Niemniej Jurek dziś wyjdzie na kort chyba tylko po to, by podać rękę temu amerykańskiemu Indusowi (Somdev mieszka w USA).
Tymczasem zabłysnął kolega Reed. W zasadzie nic odkrywczego nie napisał. Trzyma się swego i tak pewnie będzie podczas każdego szlema. Kiedyś na pewno trafi, bo moment Ryżego pewnie, prędzej czy później, nadejdzie.

US Open - Reed: Murray still favourite - just

Before the Cincinnati Masters I said that Andy Murray was my clear favourite to win the US Open. If you were to ask me now if Roger Federer's win in that event has changed my mind I'd say it has a bit, but only marginally.

Federer played really well and in the first set he was unbelievable. However, I think the match was more important for Federer than it was for Murray and that Federer was more up for it. Murray was of course up for it too, but I don't think to the same degree.

After losing four consecutive matches against Andy, Roger knew he had to win this one, and as a result he was absolutely on his A game. Federer blew Murray apart in the first set before he edged a tight second.

For Federer, it was a very significant win and because of that my confidence in Murray to win the US Open has gone back a shade.

However, if you had to nail me down to a winner, I would still say Murray.

I think Murray's performances throughout the year have been better than Federer's. He has consistently beaten top guys in big matches.

On the other hand, and I accept this is pretty brutal on someone who has won two Grand Slams this year, things have fallen into Federer's lap time after time after time.

I know some people will say how many Grand Slams does Federer have to win before you can no longer say luck is a factor, and I understand that viewpoint, but I'm still of the opinion that Federer is not quite the player he once was.

He is still a formidable threat, but I don't think he is the best player in the world right now - I think Murray is.

It is true though that Federer is now a more dangerous beast than he was in say April or May as he has got a lot of monkeys off his back. He has won the French Open, he has got the record number of Grand Slam titles, and he has also become a father. I think the win in the French for example was particularly key.

Then there is also the fact that he thoroughly outplayed Murray in the US Open final last year.

So there are many factors that would lead you to believe that Federer will do it again.

But there are two question marks still remaining. Firstly, how near is Federer to his best? It looks like he is nearer to his best than I thought he was - but that might not be enough.

Secondly, if he is back to near his best, will he buckle under the pressure like he has done against good players - mostly Nadal - in finals before?

I think for all the reasons we have outlined that is unlikely, so I can very much see the argument why somebody would tip Federer for victory. But again, I just think over the year that Murray has been the best player.

I also think that Federer hates playing Murray. Last week Murray was mentally tired and I don't think he was capable of giving as much as he normally does, so I'm not giving that result total credence.

I'd rather look at the year as a whole, and while Murray may not have won a Grand Slam, I think he has been more consistently impressive.

+++

As for other names in the event, well, maybe I'm being alarmist here, but I fear this might be the last hurrah for Rafael Nadal - and it may not be too much of a hurrah either.

I don't think he can afford to have even one more injury break. His tendinitis isn't going to go away because the amount of pressure he puts on his body, especially on hard courts, is absolutely brutal.

If he is fit then of course he is a danger - but I'm very suspicious of his prospects. Can he quickly dismiss players the way that he used to in the first few rounds? You just don't know; I don't think he even knows. I hope he can though, because in many ways he is my favourite player. But like I said, I'm suspicious.

It was great to see Novak Djokovic find some form last week but I have not rated him much this year so cannot really see him winning.

Andy Roddick is a danger. He has come to realise in the last year that he can be a contender and his performance at Wimbledon will be a huge boost. He is also the kind of guy who thrives on pressure; I don't think he has ever lost a match mentally. He has been blown away by Federer in the past, but that was because Federer was too good for him.

The way Roddick plays and uses the crowd is pretty important too and he will be very difficult to beat in New York.

Outside of those players, Fernando Verdasco has been a favourite of mine in the past but he has not kicked on the way I hoped he would after the Australian Open. Robin Soderling has a huge game and is always a threat, while Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is coming back into form.

Juan Martin Del Potro has been knocking on the door for a while too, but there is still not quite enough to his game to convince me he can win a Slam. However he is still capable of knocking off the top guys if he catches them on an off-day.

So I have Murray and Federer as the clear favourites, Nadal and Roddick as the next threats and Djokovic hovering around the third tier with the likes of Soderling, Tsonga and Del Potro.
Simon Reed / Eurosport

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/29082009/58/ … urite.html

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#49 29-08-2009 16:06:18

Fed-Expresso

Masta

Ale to jest psychol

#50 29-08-2009 16:24:42

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Wielkim fanem Szkota jest, no

Wątpliwości nie pozostawia też UK Mirror, gdzie też twierdzą wprost: Andy Murray pokona Rogera Federera w US Open 2009.

Andy Murray will defeat Roger Federer at Flushing Meadows in the US Open

Andy Murray has beaten Roger Federer plenty of times in tournaments outside the Grand Slams and lost to him when it counts.

So being a relentless Murray optimist, I'm taking his defeat to Federer in Cincinnati at the weekend as a sure sign that the Scot's going to beat the Swiss at Flushing Meadows on the way to the US Open title next month.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-spor … -21624559/

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#51 29-08-2009 17:07:35

Fed-Expresso

Masta

Po co taka napinka? Ci ludzie chyba nie rozumieją, że tego typu wypowiedzi tym mocniej motywują Szwajcara, żeby pokazać rywalowi, gdzie jego miejsce.

Rozsądniej byłoby siedzieć cicho i ewentualnie Federera zaskoczyć świetną postawą. Ale to już problem Brytyjczyków.

#52 29-08-2009 18:00:08

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Fed-Expresso napisał:

Po co taka napinka?

Polak i takie rzeczy mówi? Popatrz co się dzieje u nas jak ktoś nagle zabłyśnie formą. Tym bardziej należy rozumieć Brytyjczyków, którzy są dumnym narodem jak mało który. Zawsze pisali tego typu rzeczy (w każdej dyscyplinie z wyższością piłkarzy na czele) i to raczej nie ulegnie zmianie.

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#53 29-08-2009 20:52:43

Serenity

User

S.Devvarman - J.Janowicz 6:3,6:2,tym samym wsród mężczyzn w grze pojedynczej,nie ma Polaka w turnieju głównym USO

Ostatnio edytowany przez Jacuszyn (29-08-2009 20:54:23)

#54 29-08-2009 21:04:08

michi3

User

Szkoda Janowicza.

#55 29-08-2009 22:11:19

Serenity

User

August 27, 2009 - Charlie looks at the Open men's draw

By Charles Bricker

It probably doesn't make much difference who Roger Federer plays the first week of the U.S. Open, though his potential late-tournament opponents surely were hoping he'd at least be extended and suffer some energy loss in the first three rounds.

The draw is out and Federer, seeking a sixth consecutive Open title, should be waltzing through the early stages. He catches U.S. 18-year-old Devin Britton of Mississippi, a wild card ranked No. 1,364, in the first round and, probably, Simon Greul and Lleyton Hewitt in the second and third.

When he gets to the quarters, which he almost unquestionably will, his most likely adversary will be one of three players -- Sam Querrey, Nikolay Davydenko or Robin Soderling. He has a combined 25-0 record against them.

But it's all about the last couple of rounds at the Slams these days, anyway, isn't it. So is there any point going through all the ifs and maybes.

My five top favorites going into the Open:

1. Federer.

2. Andy Roddick.

3. Andy Murray.

4. Rafael Nadal.

5. Juan Martin Del Potro.

Where's Novak Djokovic? I've lost all confidence in him. One moment he's playing lights out, the next as if he has zero trust in his best shots.

* Federer: There was some anticipation before the draw about whether he would have to face Nadal in the semis, now that Rafa has slipped to No. 3, but Nadal was drawn to the lower half with Murray and Roddick -- clearly the tougher half of the draw. All roads point to a semifinal against Roddick, whom I've written extensively about already. He has only one title (Memphis, indoors), but he's playing his best tennis in four years. No one is easily forgetting that fifth-set of the final at Wimbledon, where Roddick soldiered through to the end with a hip injury, unable to break Federer, and lost 16-14. The Arthur Ashe Stadium court will be faster this year, but I'm not sure that necessarily helps either player. Roddick actually likes a little grit in the court, which helps him get even more height on a very good kick second serve. Plus, he hits his first serve so big that he's going to bag his aces and service winners regardless of the speed of the court.

* Roddick: He doesn't have the same stroll through the first week as Federer -- not with the winner of Tommy Haas vs. Fernando Verdasco waiting in the fourth round. But he looks just fine for the first two rounds. Djokovic, I think, will be waiting in the quarters, though these days nothing is certain with the Serbian.

* Murray: Where's the passion? Where's the serving consistency? Where's the aggression? I don't believe Murray has any mental problems because, despite his snarls and sneers at his coaches, he seems too strong emotionally for that. But I don't see the kill-or-be-killed attitude out there that took him to the top. He cannot continue to only play to force errors, typically running up a scorecard that reads 13 winners and 10 unforced errors. That kind of what I call aggressive defense will get him through the first rounds. But when he gets into the final eight, he has to pick more spots to step on the accelerator and get to the net -- to play with more risk. Can he turn his game tactics off and on like that? Of course he can. But right now he's not. Very tough third-rounder against Ivo Karlovic. Start putting on your tiebreak game face right now, Andy. Karlovic doesn't break serve a lot, but if Murray doesn't put some juice into his second, Mr. 6-foot-10 is going to take his rips. Once by Karlovic, Murray looks comfy enough through the quarters, where Del Potro will be waiting.

* Nadal: This is a very tough call, but I do believe that if Rafa uses the first week to find his Grand Slam winning rhythm, he can win this tournament. Intuition, however, tells me that while he's going to get increasingly better as he works his way back from a three-month injury layoff, he's not going to have enough to hoist the cup at the end. He's 4-0 against his opening opponent, Richard "Cocaine Kiss" Gasquet, but that's still a dangerous match. I'd love to see a round-of-16 against another great runner, Gael Monfils. Nadal will probably have to go through Jo-Wilfried Tsonga to reach the semis against Murray.

* Del Potro: He's 20 years old and still feeling his way in the big matches, but he's getting there and by next year he'll join the other four or five players at the top as an elite threat at the Slams. A gimme first-rounder against wildcard U.S. teenager Chase Buchanan and a relative cruise into the fourth round, where the winner of Fernando Gonzalez vs. Tomas Berdych will provide a gritty test. I'm figuring he'll catch Nadal in the quarters for the right to play Murray.

Let's talk women's draw tomorrow. A bientot.

Charles Bricker can be reached at bricker@tennisnews.com

http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=29241

#56 29-08-2009 22:39:30

Robertinho

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer forever

The Arthur Ashe Stadium court will be faster this year

Ło Panie, czy to możliwe, żeby gdzieś przyspieszali nawierzchnię?!

#57 29-08-2009 22:43:38

jaccol55

Administrator

Taa, pewnie wodą zamierzają podlewać korty...

#58 29-08-2009 22:48:00

Serenity

User

jaccol55 napisał:

Taa, pewnie wodą zamierzają podlewać korty...

zamrożą kort w dodatku by bylo jeszcze szybciej

#59 29-08-2009 22:49:56

Robertinho

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer forever

A tak btw, to troszkę się dziwię, że nie mają żadnego kortu z dachem przy FM. Mały deszczyk i umarł w butach. Mogliby coś wybudować.

#60 29-08-2009 22:55:52

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Robertinho napisał:

A tak btw, to troszkę się dziwię, że nie mają żadnego kortu z dachem przy FM. Mały deszczyk i umarł w butach. Mogliby coś wybudować.

Gdzieś mi się o uszy obiło, że Arthur Ashe to jednak dość potężna arena i ponoć nawet amerykańscy inżynierowie nie mają pomysłu jak to coś zadaszyć Jest ponoć w okolicach kortów hala treningowa...dla dzieci. Tam tenisiści trenują gdy leje. W 2003 roku Roddick zbeształ organizatorów, bo ta hala ponoć nie nadaje się za bardzo na treningi dla profesjonalnych graczy.

Faktycznie jest to problem bo sami wiemy jak przeklęty bywa tutaj deszcz. Ostatnimi czasy Londyn dużo lepiej znosi swojego szlema, pod względem pogody, niż USO.

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

Stopka forum

RSS