#501 14-09-2010 08:12:14

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer

Re: Rafael Nadal

Marcin jak zwykle niezawodny.

--------

Wielki Szlem: Rafa po raz 9!

US Open 2010 to już 9 wielkoszlemowy tytuł wygrany przez Nadala. Hiszpan tym samym "zapełnił" lukę jaka dzieliła kilku Panów z 8 tytułami z Billem Tildenem (10 szlemów).

Najwięcej wygranych szlemów w historii:
16 - Federer
14 - Sampras
12 - Emerson
11 - Borg, Laver
10 - Tilden
9 - Nadal

Rafa jest też pierwszym od 41 lat (od czasów wspomnianego Lavera) tenisistą, który wygrął w 1 sezonie 3 turnieje WS pod rząd, dodatkowo każdy z nich na innej nawierzchni, przynajmniej w teorii.

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#502 14-09-2010 13:12:54

Bombardiero

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Rafa Nadal

DUN I LOVE napisał:

Marcin jak zwykle niezawodny.

A myślałem, że nie zdążę

Brawo Rafa!

#503 14-09-2010 13:17:48

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#504 14-09-2010 14:06:24

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Nadal Completes Career Grand Slam With US Open Title

World No. 1 Rafael Nadal became the seventh man to complete the career Grand Slam, and the youngest to accomplish the feat in the Open Era at 24 years of age, as he defeated World No. 2 Novak Djokovic 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 on Monday to win his first US Open title.

Nadal, who achieved the Roland Garros-Wimbledon double this past summer, continued his stellar run of form at the majors as he became the first player to win three straight Grand Slam tournaments in the same season since Rod Laver won all four in 1969.

“I’m still 24. For me, it's a dream to have the career Grand Slam, but this is more a dream to have the US Open,” he said. “[It’s an] unbelievable feeling because I worked a lot all my life, in all difficult moments to be here, but I never imagined to have the four Grand Slams.”

The Manacor native, the third Spaniard to win the US Open (Manuel Orantes - 1975, Manuel Santana - 1965), collected his ninth Grand Slam crown, adding to his five on clay at Roland Garros (2005-08, 2010), two on grass at Wimbledon (2008, 2010), and one on hard court at the Australian Open (2009). He is the second player to win Grand Slam titles on three different surfaces at least twice, behind Mats Wilander.

“He has the capabilities already now to become the best player ever,” Djokovic said. “I think he's playing the best tennis that I ever seen him play on hard courts. He has improved his serve drastically. The speed, the accuracy, and of course his baseline is as good as ever. So he's a very complete player.”

After semi-final exits the past two years at Flushing Meadows, Nadal had made his way confidently through to the championship match – dropping serve just twice in 91 service games – and was looking to become the first player since Neale Fraser in 1960 to win the US Open title without losing a set.

Though Nadal’s date with destiny was delayed after rain pushed the men’s final to Monday for a third straight year, Nadal made a confident start to the championship match as he broke Djokovic. He dropped serve for just the third time during the US Open fortnight as the Serbian drew level at 2-2, but regained the lead as he converted on his sixth break point opportunity of the next game.

Nadal, who has a 106-1 win-loss record in Grand Slam play after winning the first set, played a loose service game early in the second set – broken at love to give Djokovic the 3-1 lead. The Serbian, who won a string of 11 points, looked poised to become the first player to force a set off of Nadal during the 2010 US Open but faltered as Nadal got back on serve in the seventh game.

The pair were locked at 4-4, 30/30, when rain suspended play shortly after 6pm. The match resumed at 7:59pm after a one-hour, 57-minute rain delay, and saw Djokovic come out the stronger of the two players. He broke the Spaniard for a third time to force a set off of Nadal for the first time during the 2010 US Open.

Djokovic was unable to maintain the momentum, however, with Nadal continually putting pressure on his serve. The top seed created 16 break point chances through the final two sets and converted on three of them (6 for 26 during the match). He claimed the victory in three hours and 43 minutes as his opponent’s return sailed wide on championship point.

Another historic feat occurred after rain interrupted a Monday men’s final 31 years ago. After a one-hour, 35-minute delay, with helicopters brought in to help dry the courts, Rod Laver donned spikes on the grass courts and clinched a four-set win over fellow Aussie Tony Roche – completing his calendar year Grand Slam.

Of the previous six to win all four majors, Laver was the only other left-hander to win all four and also the only other player to complete his set by winning the US Open.

Nadal has already secured his place in the elite eight-man field at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, which will return to The O2 in London from 21-28 November, and has set his sights on winning the year-end championships.

“My goal remains for me that the [Barclays ATP World Tour Finals] is probably the last big tournament that I didn't win,” he said. “That's true it’s the most difficult title for me to win because we play it indoors, and when indoor, indoor very quick surface, so gonna be always very difficult if we don't change that. But at the same time is a challenge for me to keep improving to have the chance to play well there and to have the chance to win, so that's what I’m gonna try this year.

“For me right now the next goal is try to finish the season much better than what I did in other years. The last part of the season always was difficult for me. Well, today it started to be less difficult, that's true. But I want to finish the season if it's possible with a good feeling.”

Djokovic had earned his place in the final by saving two match points to defeat Roger Federer in Saturday’s semi-final, reclaiming the No. 2 spot in the South African Airways 2010 ATP Rankings with the victory.

He said: “Maybe emotionally I was a little bit drained after the semifinal match, but I recovered. I had two days, and I was motivated to win this match, and this is one of the matches where the opponent plays better than you, and you just have to congratulate him and tell him, ‘You're better.’ That's it. I don't think I played a bad match overall. It was very good performance from my side. But whenever it was important, he was the one who was playing just too good.”

The 23-year-old Serbian, who finished runner-up to Federer in 2007 at the US Open, was attempting to collect his second Grand Slam title after winning the 2008 Australian Open.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … -Slam.aspx

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#505 14-09-2010 14:09:30

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

US Open: Nadal kompletuje życiowego Wielkiego Szlema

Rafael Nadal po raz pierwszy w karierze wygrał US Open. W finale Hiszpan pokonał Novaka Đokovicia 6:4, 5:7, 6:4, 6:2 i ma już na swoim koncie tytuły we wszystkich wielkoszlemowych turniejach.
24-latek z Majorki stał się jednym z siedmiu tenisistów (obok Freda Perry'ego, Donalda Budge'a, Roya Emersona, Roda Lavera, Andre Agassiego i Rogera Federera), którzy wygrali wszystkie cztery wielkoszlemowe turnieje i dokonał tego jako najmłodszy z nich wszystkich. Wcześniej triumfował w Australian Open (2009), Roland Garros (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 i 2010) i Wimbledonie (2008 i 2010). Został też pierwszym mężczyzną od czasu Lavera (1969), który w jednym sezonie wygrał Roland Garros, Wimbledon i US Open.

Dla Đokovicia był to drugi finał US Open (w 2007 roku przegrał z Federerem). Serb pozostaje z jednym wielkoszlemowym tytułem, zdobytym w Australian Open 2008. Było to 22. spotkanie obu zawodników i po raz 15. górą był Nadal, jednak na kortach twardych nadal lepszy bilans posiada Đoković (7-4).

I SET. Już w pierwszym gemie Nadal przełamał Novaka: sprytnym slajsem bekhendowym wytrącił Serba z rytmu i ten wyrzucił bekhend poza kort. Hiszpan wykorzystał pierwszego break pointa za pomocą forhendu wzdłuż linii. W trzecim gemie pogromca Federera wybronił się serwisem ze stanu 0-30 (dwa asy, wygrywający), a następnie odrobił stratę breaka wyrównując stan seta na 2:2.

W piątym gemie Serb obronił trzy break pointy przy stanie 0-40, by chwilę później wygrywającym serwisem uzyskać szansę na pierwsze prowadzenie. Nadal krosem forhendowym doprowadził do kolejnej równowagi. Đoković odparł jeszcze dwa break pointy (jednego ładną kombinacją odwrotnego krosa forhendowego i woleja bekhendowego), ale gem ten padł ostatecznie łupem zawodnika z Majorki, który wykorzystał szóstą szansę popisując się forhendem wzdłuż linii. Kolejnego trzeciego własnego gema serwisowego Hiszpan rozpoczął od przegrania pierwszej piłki, ale nie dał się przełamać po raz drugi i prowadził 4:2. Do końca utrzymał serwis, w 10. gemie wygrywający forhend dał mu piłkę setową. Forhend Đokovicia wylądował poza kortem i 24-latek prowadził 1-0.

II SET. Początek należał do Đokovicia. Już w drugim gemie sprawił on problemy Nadalowi, od stanu 40-15 doprowadzając do równowagi (ładny drop-szot bekhendowy). Hiszpan wybronił się serwisem, ale w kolejnych trzech gemach na korcie dzielił i rządził Đoković. Serbowi przytrafiła się seria 11 zdobytych punktów z rzędu. W czwartym gemie przełamał lidera rankingu, a następnie także do zera wygrał podanie i prowadził 4:1. W tym czasie finalista z 2007 roku trafiał znakomicie forhendem, którym w decydującym momencie rozbił w półfinale Federera.

Ta seria jednak nie trwała długo. W siódmym gemie Serb nie wykorzystał prowadzenia 40-15 i pozwolił się rywalowi odrodzić. Hiszpan odrobił stratę breaka, dwa decydujące punkty zdobywając w efektowny sposób (kros forhendowy, oburęczny bekhend wzdłuż linii). W ósmym gemie wolej bekhendowy i as dały mu prowadzenie 40-0, Đoković wywarł na nim presję zbliżając się na 40-30, ale wygrywającym serwisem lider rankingu wyrównał na 4:4. W dziewiątym gemie bekhend wzdłuż linii dał zawodnikowi z Majorki prowadzenie 30-15, Serb wyrównał na 30-30 odwrotnym krosem forhendowym i w tym momencie rozpadał się deszcz i tenisiści musieli udać się do szatni.

Po dwugodzinnej przerwie Đoković wygrał dziewiątego gema po grze na przewagi decydujący punkt zdobywając wygrywającym forhendem. W 12. gemie Serb zadał decydujący cios w II secie. Federer po zaserwowaniu asa prowadził 30-15, ale przegrał trzy piłki z rzędu (drop-szot bekhendowy w siatce, bekhend wzdłuż linii Đokovicia), przy piłce setowej pakując bekhend w siatkę.

III SET. Już w trzecim gemie Nadal zaliczył breaka, po tym jak Đoković mając otwarty kort wyrzucił forhend. W kolejnych dwóch gemach serwisowych Serba Hiszpan zmarnował aż osiem break pointów (dwukrotnie prowadził 40-15). Jak przystało na wojownika, triumfator Australian Open 2008 nie dał za wygraną i w tak trudnych momentach zdobywał efektowne punkty za pomocą forhendu, stop-woleja czy wygrywającego serwisu. Pomimo zmarnowanych break pointów Nadal wygrał seta, bo nie dał się przełamać Serbowi ani razu. W 10. gemie Hiszpan od stanu 15-30 włączył turbo doładowanie i posłał asa oraz jeden wygrywający serwis.

IV SET. W pierwszym gemie Đoković obronił break pointa i dwoma wygrywającymi forhendami zapewnił sobie dobre otwarcie partii. W trzecim gemie Serb już się nie uratował, przy 15-40 popisał się bekhendem wzdłuż linii, ale przy drugim break poincie nie była jego sprzymierzeńcem siatka (forhend nie zmieścił się w korcie). W piątym gemie tenisista z Majorki dorzucił jeszcze jedno przełamanie. Coraz bardziej słabnącemu fizycznie Serbowi ambicja nie pozwalała się poddać i w szóstym gemie efektowną kombinacją dwóch bekhendów: po krosie i wzdłuż linii, uzyskał break pointa, ale w kolejnej wymianie wyrzucił forhend. Po długiej grze na przewagi górą był Nadal, który podwyższył prowadzenie na 5:1.

Dwa gemy później Hiszpan zakończył to spotkanie: Đoković od 30-0 wyrównał na 30-30, ale kolejne dwa punkty padły łupem lidera rankingu (minięcie bekhendowe, forhend Serba poza kortem) i po trzech godzinach i 43 minutach czystego czasu gry ostatni mecz US Open 2010 dobiegł końca.

Nadal zaserwował osiem asów, a przy pierwszym serwisie zdobył 71 proc. punktów. Đoković popełnił o 16 niewymuszonych błędów więcej (47-31) i miał mniej winnerów niż Hiszpan (45-49). Zawodnik z Majorki zmarnował 20 z 26 break pointów, ale sam dał sobie odebrać podanie tylko trzy razy.

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/tenis/2010/ … go-szlema/

#506 14-09-2010 14:13:13

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Nadal A Man In A Hurry

Rafael Nadal has always been a man in a hurry, so it’s little surprise that he is now the youngest player in the Open Era, at just 24, to complete a career Grand Slam following his four-set victory over Novak Djokovic in the US Open final.

Nadal is redefining the way the game is being played and has earned the right to be included in the debate about who is the greatest player of all-time. Yes, he’s still seven Grand Slam titles shy of Roger Federer’s record haul of 16 – not that Grand Slam titles should be the only consideration – but it would be a brave observer to suggest the Spaniard won’t eventually approach or break Federer’s record, which may itself continue to grow in coming years. Nadal has won his nine Grand Slam titles in his first 26 appearances at the majors. By comparison, Bjorn Borg won nine in his first 22; Federer won nine in his first 30 and Sampras nine in his first 31.

Could it be just five months ago that Nadal was enduring an 11-month title drought before he began his clay-court campaign at Monte-Carlo? How things have changed! Between mid April and mid September Nadal won three consecutive Grand Slam titles at Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open and became the first man ever to make a sweep of the three clay court ATP World Tour Masters 1000 titles in the one season when he won Monte-Carlo (for the loss of just 14 games!), Rome and Madrid. His Madrid triumph, at age 23, earned him a record 18th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title, beating the 17th title that Andre Agassi won at 34 years of age.

At 18, Nadal was already giving every indication that he would one day be regarded as one of the greatest clay courters of all time, winning Monte-Carlo, Rome and (days after turning 19) Roland Garros. In all, in 2005 he won eight clay court tournaments among 11 titles – the most ever won in one season by a teenager.

But there we also signs in 2005 that Nadal was not a Spanish clay court stereotype. He won ATP World Tour Masters 1000 titles indoors in Madrid and on a fast hard court in Montreal, where in the final he took out no less than Agassi, one of the greatest hard court players in history. When Nadal made a stunning run to the Wimbledon final in 2006 to prove his versatility on grass, the tennis world had all the proof it needed that Federer was not the only player capable of completing a career Slam.

That Nadal has won all four majors is not really a surprise, but the speed of his achievement perhaps is. Let’s not forget that Federer was 28 when he completed his career Slam at Roland Garros. And what a golden era for tennis to have these two all-time greats playing at the same time. There was a 30-year gap between Rod Laver winning his Open Era calendar-year Grand Slam in 1969 and when Andre Agassi completed a career Grand Slam in 1999. Tennis fans had to wait little more than one year for Nadal to clinch his career Slam after Federer did it in 2009 at Roland Garros.

What is the secret of his success? Many things, of course, but above all a unrivaled mental toughness and unrelenting determination to keep getting better. Once regarded as having little more than a handy serve, Nadal is now firing 135 mph cannons and proved during the US Open that he is one of the toughest players to break, dropping serve just twice en route to the final. Raised as a baseliner with extreme grips, Nadal has worked tirelessly to become one of the most reliable volleyers in the game. And let’s not forget the resilience he’s shown to recover from long-standing knee tendinitis, which kept him from defending his Wimbledon title in 2009.

Nadal's next missions are likely to be more like a marathon than a sprint: trying to top Federer's haul of 16 majors and perhaps Sampras' all-time mark of 286 weeks spent as World No. 1. But, at 24, time is on his side.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE- … ibute.aspx

#507 14-09-2010 17:34:41

Serenity

User

Rafael Nadal: Nie wyobrażałem sobie wejścia do panteonu Wielkiego Szlema

- Niesamowite uczucie. Myślę, że po raz pierwszy w karierze zagrałem bardzo, bardzo dobry mecz w tym turnieju. I to wtedy kiedy była taka potrzeba - powiedział po zwycięstwie w US Open Rafael Nadal, siódmy człowiek w historii z kompletem tytułów wielkoszlemowych w karierze.
Skompletowanie zwycięstw we wszystkich turniejach Wielkiego Szlema to spełnienie marzeń. - Ale bardziej marzyłem o samym wygraniu US Open - przyznał. - Pracowałem ciężko przez całe życie, ale nigdy nie wyobrażałem sobie, że zdobędę wszystkie tytuły wielkoszlemowe. Tym bardziej, że jak ciągle przyznaje, międzynarodowe mistrzostwa Stanów Zjednoczonych to najtrudniejszy dla niego turniej: - Z powodu warunków atmosferycznych, kortu, piłek, wszystkiego.

Uważany za najwybitniejszego w historii specjalistę od gry na kortach ziemnych, Nadal dwukrotnie wygrał Wimbledon. Kort twarde? - Mistrzem zostałem już w 2009 roku, kiedy triumfowałem w Australii - powiedział. Czy jest teraz lepszym zawodnikiem? - To kwestia pewności siebie. Jeżeli grasz dobrze i masz przekonanie o własnych możliwościach, jesteś o wiele lepszym graczem. Co innego gdy zaczynasz przegrywać, tracić pewność: jakbyś zapomniał jak się gra w tenisa. Ale to nie tak, bo naprawdę nie poprawiłem się za bardzo, na pewnie nie radykalnie, od ubiegłego roku.

Najważniejszą obok zdrowia przyczyną sukcesu w Nowym Jorku był serwis. - W Wimbledonie nigdy nie grałem źle, ale na trawie wiele zależy od poruszania się, co jest moją bronią. Wcześniej musiałem tutaj rozgrywać każdy punkt, ale serwis to zmienił. Serwis zrobił wielką różnicę w tym turnieju. To nie podanie trenował jednak najmocniej: - Od dziecka mocno pracowałem nad mentalnością.

Rywalizacja z Federerem

- Mówienie o tym, który z nas jest lepszy, jest głupotą. Liczba tytułów mówi, że Roger jest przede mną, więc to jest prawda. Myślę, że taka pozostanie przez całe moje życie - powiedział. - Dla mnie Roger był przykładem, przede wszystkim dlatego, że ciągle rozwijał się przez tok swojej kariery i to należy kopiować. Mamy różne style i nie sądzę, by to był dobry moment na rozmowę o hierarchii między nami.

Co Hiszpan robił w czasie niemal dwugodzinnej przerwy po przerwaniu pojedynku przy 6:4, 4:4, kiedy właśnie odrobił stratę przełamania i wyrównał stan drugiego seta? - To nie był dla mnie dobry moment na zejście z kortu. Po prostu wróciłem do szatni, wziąłem prysznic i założyłem jeszcze raz wszystkie taśmy i plastry. Jak grał bez ucieczką przed deszczem? - Zastałem, to czego oczekiwałem, czyli agresywnego, posyłającego piłki pod linię końcową Novaka. Ale zacząłem spotkanie znakomicie czując piłkę. Wiedziałem, że muszę utrzymać intensywność, walczyć o każdą piłkę i wchodzić w kort.

Teraz Masters

Jakie cele ma po wejściu do panteonu Wielkiego Szlema? - Mój cel przez całe życie był jeden: stale się poprawiać i czuć, że jest się lepszym zawodnikiem niż w poprzednim roku. Celem konkretnym jest teraz Masters, prawdopodobnie ostatni wielki turniej, którego nie wygrałem. Prawda jest taka, że to będzie najtrudniejszy dla mnie tytuł do zdobycia, go gramy w hali, na bardzo szybkiej nawierzchni, która jeśli się nie zmieni, zawsze będzie dla mnie przeszkodą w zwycięstwie w Masters. To jednak wyzwanie. Zmierzę się z nim w tym roku.

Nadal sam oświadczył, że nie jest tenisistą perfekcyjnym. - Najważniejsze to dalej serwować tak, jak w tym turnieju. To istotna zmiana dla mojej kariery, bo serwis przynosi wiele wolnych punktów - przyznał. - Mogę też grać agresywniej. Z większym spokojem przy odbiorze. Mogę poprawić wszystko: wolej, pozycję na korcie. Pod tym ostatnim względem zrobiłem postępy w porównaniu z poprzednim rokiem, ale nigdy za wiele: mogę wchodzić głębiej w kort.

Opinia o Đokoviciu: - Jego poziom jest nieprawdopodobny. Jestem przekonany, że wkrótce wygra US Open. Ma do tego odpowiednią grę. Życzę mu powodzenia, bo jest wielkim sportowcem, ale jednocześnie wielkim człowiekiem. Jego zachowanie po porażkach jest znakomitym przykładem dla każdego. Jednym z "highlights" meczu był serwis Nadala w trzecim secie przy 5:4, 15-30: - Zrobiłem coś, czego nie zrobiłem nigdy. Załatwiłem wszysko trzema uderzeniami: jednym asem i dwoma wygrywającymi serwisami.

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/tenis/2010/ … onu-wielk/

#508 15-09-2010 09:01:18

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1009/tennis.rafael.nadal.grand.slam.titles/images/rafael-nadal-grand-slam-trophies.jpg

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#509 15-09-2010 13:26:56

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Nadal Savors His Latest Role: All-Courts Player

On the planet’s tennis courts — be they clay or grass or the blue, cushioned acrylic of the United States Open — Rafael Nadal has answered all the big questions. But with the matches finally done in New York and Nadal’s career Grand Slam complete, the questions kept coming Tuesday.

They came on the morning television programs when Nadal, after a very late dinner and three hours of sleep, dragged himself out of bed and made the now traditional rounds. They came at Niketown on 57th Street from fans wearing “Vamos Rafa” T-shirts and from John McEnroe, who played master of ceremonies for an interview session inside that temple of conspicuous sports consumption. They came from Spanish newspapermen who wrote lists of queries in their spiral notebooks before meeting with the athlete who has become one of the symbols (and solaces) of modern Spain.

And finally, just before a hurried lunch and Nadal’s rush to the airport to fly home, the questions came inside a van with the storefronts of Manhattan rolling past and Nadal leaning back in his seat, looking wearier than he ever looked in Monday night’s four-set victory over Novak Djokovic in the Open final.

“This is the fifth set,” he joked in Spanish, mustering a smile. “You’re the last one.”

But rest will come soon enough for Nadal, and it will be repose untainted by regrets. At 24, he has become the seventh man to win all four Grand Slam singles titles. He has won the French Open five times, Wimbledon twice, the Australian Open once and now the United States Open.

The club’s other members are Fred Perry, Don Budge, Roy Emerson, Rod Laver, Andre Agassi and Roger Federer. But it is perhaps best defined by all the great players who do not belong, including Lew Hoad, Ken Rosewall, Jimmy Connors, Bjorn Borg and Pete Sampras, who never even reached the final of the French Open.

Nadal joined Agassi as the only men to have won the four majors, the Davis Cup and the Olympics. That Nadal has ticked all the boxes in the tennis era that was once Federer’s alone only magnifies the achievement. At the start of Nadal’s career, his game and proclivities gave him a natural advantage only on clay, but he has been talented enough, open-minded enough and driven enough to modify his tactics, even his technique, and close the gap on the game’s other surfaces.

Monday’s victory — fueled by powerful serves, suffocating defense and big variations in pace and spin — was merely the latest confirmation of his hardcourt prowess. He won the 2008 Olympic singles title on a nearly identical surface in Beijing and won the 2009 Australian Open on a very similar surface manufactured by the same company that produces the courts at Flushing Meadows.

“What matters most when you play a final is the victory, but what really gives you a deep personal satisfaction is to feel that you’ve become a better player because that’s the real product of the everyday work,” Nadal said. “Whether you win or lose in a given match can depend on the small things that you sometimes cannot control, but to feel you are a truly improved player when you go on a court and to know that it is the fruit of all your labor for many years is a big satisfaction.

“There’s so much competition at the moment, and what’s clear is either you get better or you’re dead. And I think the reason I improved is because if I had not improved, I would not be here talking to you about winning the U.S. Open. I had to do it.”

McEnroe, who never won the French Open or the Australian Open, said Tuesday that “I have never seen a guy who was that good already be able to improve that much.”

But there was more to the moment than that. Little more than a year ago, after Nadal was overpowered by Robin Soderling in the fourth round of the French Open and he missed Wimbledon because of knee problems, his ability to dominate again was justifiably in doubt. There was also the breakup of his parents’ marriage to digest. Then came January, when Nadal retired in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open against Andy Murray with more knee problems.

Eight months later, he is alone at the summit, the holder of three Grand Slam singles titles and all but assured of finishing the year at No. 1.

“People see the victories; they don’t see the obstacles,” said his uncle Toni Nadal, who has been his coach from the beginning. “Everybody has obstacles, but Rafa’s had his knees and his personal problems and physical problems of last year. I think all that only makes this sweeter for him. Rafa has an approach which is very important and that is even if things don’t come quickly, he continues to believe they are going to come, and he is ready to keep trying until they do.”

The progress has not been limited to tennis. He first came to New York in May 2001 with his family. For a week, he visited the city, including the World Trade Center, in anonymity, able to speak only a few words of English.

Nine years later, during this year’s tournament, he expressed in English his solidarity with the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks to the crowd at Arthur Ashe Stadium. And on Tuesday, after exchanging pleasantries in English with McEnroe, he headed into the street with his entourage, where dozens of people quickly spotted him, shouting “Rafa” and swarming him for photographs.

“Things change in life,” Nadal said later. “But I feel clearly much more at home in New York than in 2001.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/15/sport … ref=tennis

#510 15-09-2010 13:28:43

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

US Open - Nadal's US Open the talk of New York

Rafa Nadal was still beaming about winning the US Open when he spent his final day in New York on Tuesday, posing for photographs and appearing on the morning talkshow circuit, before heading back to Spain.

The world number one was taken on a whirlwind tour of Manhattan on Tuesday, showing off his new trophy to screaming fans in Times Square and on Fifth Avenue and being whisked around the television studios, before preparing to fly back home.

The 24-year-old was all smiles as he waved to the crowds then spoke with media after celebrating his 6-4 5-7 6-4 6-2 win over Novak Djokovic in Monday night's rain-delayed final at Flushing Meadows.

"Yeah, it's unbelievable for me. It's more than I ever dreamed about, that I ever thought I can do," he said.

"It's just an amazing feeling and I'm very happy to have my first US Open in my hands now."

Nadal was dressed casually in denim jeans and a navy blue polo shirt and looked remarkably fresh after managing just a few hours sleep from the night before because of all his media commitments after the final.

He said he had celebrated his victory by having a quiet meal with his family, including his coach and uncle Toni who had convinced him to focus on tennis.

"It was one of my frustrations when I was a kid," Nadal said. "I love the football, it was my passion. I would have loved to play football, but it's impossible to do everything.

"In football, I wasn't really good, I was a really normal player."

Nadal had already won Wimbledon, the Australian Open and French Open championships and by adding the one major title that had eluded him, he became just the seventh man to complete a career Grand Slam.

His achievement, at just 24, immediately reignited the debate about who is the greatest player of all but Nadal, wincing every time the subject is mentioned, remained reluctant to talk about it.

He has always maintained that Roger Federer, with a record 16 Grand Slam titles, is alone at the top of the mountain. Nadal has nine Grand Slam titles.

Federer won the US Open five times in a row from 2004-2008 and Nadal, who was once considered a clay-court specialist, said he was happy just to win once on the hardcourts at Flushing Meadows.

"I always saw this tournament as very far for me," he said.

"This tournament wasn't the best ... and that's very emotional for me."
Reuters

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/15092010/58/ … -york.html

#511 15-09-2010 13:34:30

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Nadal Makes Champion's NYC Media Tour

The morning after completing the career Grand Slam, World No. 1 Rafael Nadal made his way around New York City for the US Open champion’s media tour.

The 24-year-old Spaniard made a swing of the morning talk show circuit, with trophy in hand. He stopped by the Today Show to speak with Meredith Vieira, Ann Curry and Carl Quintanilla; made an appearance on Live with Regis & Kelly; and spoke with CNN’s Candy Reid.

Nadal also stopped in Times Square to pose for photos, and visited Niketown to meet fans and conduct one-on-one interviews with publications including The New York Times, El Pais, El Mundo, AP, and US Today.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … -Tour.aspx

#512 15-09-2010 14:11:51

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Rafael Nadal: najwspanialsze chwile - galeria

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis … tures.html

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#513 15-09-2010 14:16:21

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

US Open 2010: Rafael Nadal claims all of his dreams have come true in New York

Rafael Nadal hailed a dream win over Novak Djokovic in the US Open final which completed his career grand slam and cemented the world No 1's place in history.

Nadal had never won the title at Flushing Meadows and despite some outstanding tennis from Djokovic, the Spainard was just too good in every department for his opponent to stage a comeback.

Thrilled with the 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 win and to have completed his career grand slam, Nadal said: "(Winning the US Open) is more than I dreamt, just to arrive to the final was amazing and to have the trophy in my hands in a few seconds with my heart beating is going to be unbelievable.

"I played my best match in the US Open at the most important moment, so I am very, very happy for that, for sure.

"To win in here I think is the more difficult tournament for me to play, more difficult conditions to adapt, to adjust my game on this court, for the balls, for the court, for everything.

"I improved a lot since last year, but never is enough. I am not a perfect player, so everybody can improve."

Even with improvement, Nadal was loathe to speculate on whether catching Roger Federer was realistic.

Federer, 29, has a record 16 grand slam championships to Nadal's nine, but the Spaniard's victory at Flushing Meadows was extra special compared to his previous wins.

"I think talking about if I am better or worse than Roger (Federer) is stupid," he said. "Because the titles say he's much better than me, so that's true at that moment. I think that will be true all my life. We will see what happens in the future. I am not a genius."

Reflecting on the match with Djokovic during which he was pushed hard for three hours 22 minutes, Nadal added: "First thing, I would like to congratulate Novak and all his team for a great tournament, you're a great player and you're going to win this trophy very soon, I'm sure of that.

"I want to congratulate you for a great attitude after losing a Grand Slam final, that's a great example for the kids."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis … -York.html

#514 15-09-2010 14:17:34

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

US Open 2010: adulation proves Rafael Nadal is beginning to conquer America

Everyone in that line was wearing a T-shirt with his name on the front, and the girls’ screams could well have carried all the way through Central Park and up into Harlem.

And it was not just the girls who could not control themselves, as John McEnroe could not either, telling Nadal: “Everybody loves you – on behalf of everyone here, can I just say thank you for being you.”

If that was a bit much from the New Yorker, there is no doubt that Nadal has taken the first step to breaking America. Though there is plenty of crossover here between those who enjoy Roger Federer’s game and those who appreciate Nadal’s, they each reach parts that the other does not.

Federer appeals more to corporate America, and to white-fence America. Nadal is more popular with those under 40, and it looked as though he disappointed a few of the girls here when he told them that he had a girlfriend and had been with her for five years.

Nadal had had just three hours of sleep before meeting his public, though that was not because he had been out all night partying; because of all his post-match commitments, there had been no time for that.

The world No 1, who sat on a stool with the trophy wedged precariously between his knees, said he would wait until he returned home, when he was with family and friends, before he properly celebrated becoming only the seventh man in history to win all four grand slams, “and sometimes when you go to a party in Majorca, you don’t come home until seven in the morning”.

Though Nadal could not select a favourite out of his nine slams, he did acknowledge the significance of this one, as it allowed him to finish his collection. “I thought that this grand slam would be very difficult for me to win, and maybe if I had not done it this year or in the next two years, it could have become an obsession, and that could have made it more difficult for me to do it,” he said.

“I never imagined that I would win all the four grand slams, but now I have, and so maybe in the future I will be more relaxed when I play.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis … erica.html

#515 15-09-2010 14:20:12

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Nadal: Nie jestem najlepszy na świecie!

- Wiem, że stałem się częścią historii tenisa, ale nie uważam się za jednego z najlepszych na świecie. Poza tym nie wie, czy zdołam ponownie wygrać imprezę z cyklu Wielkiego Szlema - mówił jak zawsze skromny Hiszpan, który na ulicach Nowego Jorku prezentował trofeum US Open.

- Tak, to dla mnie niewiarygodne. To więcej niż kiedykolwiek marzyłem, nigdy nie myślałem, że to zrobię. To wspaniałe uczucie i jestem bardzo szczęśliwy, że mogę trzymać moje pierwsze trofeum na US Open w rękach.

- To było jedna z moich frustracji, kiedy byłem dzieckiem. Kocham piłkę nożną, to była moja pasja. Fajnie byłoby grać w piłkę, ale niemożliwe jest robienie wszystkiego na raz. W piłkę nie byłem specjalnie dobry, byłem normalnym graczem.

- Ten turniej nigdy nie był dla mnie najlepszy, dlatego wygranie go teraz jest dla mnie tak emocjonalnym przeżyciem - dodał 24-latek z Majorki. - Nie jestem pewny, czy uda mi się zbliżyć do rekordu Rogera Federera, który zwyciężył w 16 turniejach wielkoszlemowych. Teraz będę się przygotowywał do styczniowego Australian Open - mówił Rafa i jednocześnie przyznał, że chce dorównać Australijczykowi Rodowi Laverowi, który w 1969 roku odniósł cztery wielkoszlemowe zwycięstwa w jednym sezonie.

Nadal w 2010 roku okazał się najlepszy w Roland Garros, Wimbledonie i US Open. Triumf w styczniowym AO uniemożliwiły mu kontuzje.

http://www.eurosport.pl/tenis/us-open/2 … tory.shtml

#516 15-09-2010 16:13:08

Serenity

User

Tenis. Rafael Nadal, człowiek, który nie stoi w miejscu

Rafael Nadal pokonał Novaka Djokovicia 6:4, 5:7, 6:4, 6:2 w finale US Open i został siódmym tenisistą w historii, który choć razy wygrał każdy turniej Wielkiego Szlema. - Z obwieszczeniem, że najlepszym graczem w dziejach był Roger Federer, trzeba poczekać - mówi Mats Wilander.

- Jesteś najlepszy na świecie i zasłużyłeś na tytuł - powiedział po finale z uśmiechem przegrany Djoković, który z niezniszczalnym Hiszpanem zagrał prawdopodobnie najlepszy mecz w roku, a być może jeden z najlepszych w życiu. Wystarczyło to tylko na wygranie seta. - Kosztowało mnie to mnóstwo pracy - wzdychał Nadal, który za pierwsze w karierze zwycięstwo w US Open dostał czek na 1,7 mln dol. Znacznie cenniejsze jest jednak to, że wielkimi krokami wchodzi do tenisowej historii.

Fred Perry (1935), Don Budge (1938), Roy Emerson (1964), Rod Laver (1962), Andre Agassi (1999), Roger Federer (2009) i Rafael Nadal (2010) - tak od poniedziałku wygląda najekskluzywniejszy klub tenisowy dla tych, którzy choć raz wygrali każdy z czterech Szlemów. 24-letni Nadal ma ich w sumie już dziewięć. Do pięciu tytułów w Roland Garros, dwóch Wimbledonów i Australian Open dorzucił brakujący Nowy Jork. Na męskiej liście wszech czasów Nadal jest siódmy, przed nim, z większą liczbą tytułów, są tylko: Federer (16), Pete Sampras (14), Emerson (12), Laver i Björn Borg (po 11) oraz Bill Tilden (10). Sampras nigdy nie wygrał jednak w Paryżu, Borg w Australii i Nowym Jorku, a Tilden nie zdobył ani Paryża, ani Melbourne.

Nadal jest najmłodszym zdobywcą czterech Szlemów od czasów Lavera, czyli odkąd tenis stał się zawodowym sportem. I pierwszym po legendarnym Australijczyku, któremu udało się zwyciężyć po kolei we French Open, Wimbledonie i US Open w jednym sezonie. Gdyby nie kontuzja kolan i mięśni brzucha na początku sezonu w Australii, być może Hiszpanowi udałoby się nawet skompletować klasyczny Szlem, czyli wygrać wszystko w roku kalendarzowym. Taka sztuka udała się dotąd tylko Laverowi i Budge'owi, ale w czasach, gdy tenis był znacznie wolniejszy i niemal zmonopolizowany przez turnieje rozgrywane na trawie. - Nadal ma jeszcze czas na klasycznego Szlema. Ma dopiero 24 lata - stwierdził po finale US Open 72-letni Laver.

Rozwój, adaptacja, zmiana...

- Cały czas się rozwijam. Nie stoję w miejscu. Wiem, że mój tenis wciąż może być lepszy. Słucham trenera, słucham rad, szukam dobrych rozwiązań - tłumaczy Nadal przyczyny swojego sukcesu.

Jeszcze trzy-cztery lata temu rzeczywiście trudno było sobie wyobrazić, by muskularny chłopak z Majorki, który poza szybkimi nogami miał niewiele do zaoferowania, mógł zostać najlepszym tenisistą świata. Dziś trudno uwierzyć, by mógł być nim ktoś inny. Nadal, którego hiszpańska prasa okrzyknęła po finale "sportową legendą", drugiego w rankingu ATP Djokovicia wyprzedza o blisko 5 tys. punktów! A swoje dziewięć tytułów w Szlemie zdobył jako zawodnik o rok młodszy niż Federer.

Dyskusja, czy Hiszpan jest od niego lepszy, znów odżyła. Dziś dominuje pogląd, że Federer to prawdopodobnie największy tenisowy talent, jaki się urodził. Z elegancką, efektowną grą, tenisem składającym się niemal wyłącznie z pięknych ruchów i uderzeń. Nadal jest z nim zestawiany jako wzór pracy nad sobą. Rozwój, doskonalenie, adaptacja - to napędzało od początku jego karierę. Na genialnego stratega i wizjonera wyrasta wujek Toni Nadal, który od dziecka trenował "Rafę". To on nauczył praworęcznego ośmiolatka grać lewą ręką, z perfidną świadomością, że w ten sposób będzie groźniejszy dla rywali, bo trudniej gra się z kimś, kto ma leworęczny forhend. Nauczył go też podkręcać piłki, bo tak gra się szybciej, ale jednocześnie bezpieczniej (podkręcona piłka lepiej "trzyma się" kortu). Kilka lat temu wydawało się, że wyżej niż seryjne zwycięstwa na najwolniejszej nawierzchni Rolanda Garrosa, "Rafa" już nie podskoczy. Wujek Toni i sam Nadal wykonali jednak tytaniczny wysiłek i powoli dostosowali się także do szybszych nawierzchni. "Rafa" schudł, żeby być jeszcze szybszym i odpierać ataki wysokich i mocno bijących piłkę zawodników. Zaczął grać agresywniej, żeby skracać wymiany. Stopniowo wprowadził wolejowe ataki przy siatce, co też pomaga na szybkich kortach. W 2008 r. nowa strategia zaczęła przynosić efekty, bo Nadal wygrał Wimbledon, zatrzymując w finale Federera. Rok później zwyciężył w Australian Open, znów bijąc Federera, który po finale płakał. Teraz w Nowym Jorku Hiszpan dokończył dzieła, a pomogła mu kolejna ewolucja - znacznie lepszy serwis, co okazało się kluczem do zwycięstwa z Djokoviciem. Serb w drugim i przez pół trzeciego seta grał bowiem rewelacyjnie, trafiał niemal wszystko. Nadal znacznie łatwiej wygrywał jednak własne serwisy, co w kluczowych momentach okazało się decydujące. Z większą swobodą mógł bowiem zaatakować.

- Odczuwam wielką satysfakcję, że udało nam się tak poprawić grę na twardych kortach. Poza serwisem ważne było też, że "Rafa" przysunął się do siatki, przestał grać za linią końcową - promieniał wujek Toni.

Psychicznie najmocniejszy

- Z obwieszczeniem, że najlepszym graczem w dziejach jest Federer, trzeba poczekać, aż Nadal skończy karierę - mówi Szwed Mats Wilander, siedmiokrotny triumfator Szlemów z lat 80. Poza tym, że Nadal wygrywa Szlemy szybciej niż Federer, ważne jest też, że Hiszpan bezdyskusyjnie dominuje w bezpośredniej rywalizacji nad 29-letnim Szwajcarem. Pokonał go 14 razy, przegrał tylko siedem. - Trudno być najlepszym w historii, gdy ktoś ciągle z tobą wygrywa, tak jak Nadal z Federerem - mówi Wilander. Przyczyn porażek Szwajcara z Hiszpanem większość ekspertów szuka w psychice. Nadal jest najsilniejszym mentalnie graczem od czasów Borga. Najlepiej gra pod presją. W finale z Djokoviciem, gdy pod koniec trzeciego seta praktycznie rozstrzygał się mecz, Hiszpan zaserwował trzy razy nie do obrony dokładnie w sam narożnik, gdzie krzyżują się linie. - Niewiarygodne, niemożliwe! - kręcił głową Djoković. Federer nigdy tak silny psychicznie nie był.

- Zastanawianie się, czy jestem lepszy od Rogera, jest głupie. Ma więcej tytułów, więc jest lepszy. Tak już zostanie do końca mojego życia - stwierdził Nadal. Zawsze skromny, nielubiący się wywyższać Hiszpan, zaznaczył, że najważniejszy dla niego jest udany powrót po kontuzjach. - Ostatni rok był dla mnie trudny. Prześladowały mnie urazy, miałem też problemy osobiste [rozwód rodziców], ale jakoś udało mi się odnaleźć. Mogę jednak grać jeszcze lepiej, da się jeszcze parę rzeczy poprawić - zakończył człowiek, który być może nigdy nie będzie najlepszym tenisistą w historii, ale na pewno nieprędko się zatrzyma, zmierzając po ten tytuł.

http://www.sport.pl/tenis/1,64987,83774 … ejscu.html

#517 15-09-2010 16:15:36

Serenity

User

US Open - Tramlines: There's a new boss in town

Tramlines usually only lifts its head long enough on a Monday morning to bash out its thoughts on the previous week before returning to the business of watching up-and-coming youngsters intermittently trade forehand winners in Yemen.

But, with the promise of an extra five minutes added to a suddenly-granted lunch break and with the excitement of another Monday finish at US Open, TL decided to make an exception.

Late on said thundery Monday night in New York, Rafael Nadal made history.

The Spaniard was already world number one and the holder of the French Open and Wimbledon titles, but after overpowering Novak Djokovic, he also became only the seventh man in history to win all four Grand Slam titles in his career.

Nadal could also go on to be the holder of all four majors simultaneously, albeit not in the same calendar year, if he can win the Australian Open when that swings around again in January.

The stats just keep on coming and before the inevitable debates begin about whether or not the affable Spaniard can surpass Roger Federer's admirable records, it's worth pausing to take in the magnitude of Nadal's achievements.

Okay, is that enough time?

Nadal, at 24, has won three more Slams than Federer had at the same age. He also completed the career Slam at an age four years younger than when the Swiss champion did it.

Few would argue with the assertion that Nadal is the greatest clay court player in the world - a 39-1 win-loss ratio at the French Open is all you need to know to prove that. Not to mention 24 other clay court titles he's picked up over the past six years.

But can he go on to win more Grand Slams than Federer? In another five or six years' time, will there even be a debate about the Greatest Of All Time - or will the answer unequivocally be "Rafael Nadal, of course"?

If Nadal manages to stay fit, there's no reason why he can't challenge Federer's record of 16 Grand Slam titles.

But is that a big if?

Probably not. It's certainly nowhere near as big as it was a year ago. Since Nadal returned from the worst of his knee troubles last year, he has been on a mission to win the US Open. A mission he has altered his game for. This tournament alone he has displayed a much-improved serve, evidenced by the fact that he was broken just three times in New York. With that more potent first serve he picks up more free points, leaving his knees alone to focus on fewer points that need the ever-speedy Nadal to bounce around the court.

You can't argue with the results as Nadal not only reached his first US Open final, he also won the title for the first time.

All this presupposes that Federer won't win further Grand Slam titles, which Tramlines thinks is rubbish. But give Nadal a few more years and we could bear witness to swathes of records that stand for decades.

++++++++++

As has so often been the case, the women's US Open final proved to be another disappointing affair with one of the players failing to produce their best tennis when it really mattered.

Tramlines doesn't want to take away from Kim Clijsters's achievement; in fact it believes that the Belgian very much deserves her title as queen of New York having won the previous two US Opens she has competed in.

But there is no questioning the fact that it was the most one-sided final in New York in 34 years, or that Vera Zvonareva, so impressive in her run to the final without conceding a set, mentally imploded after making a bright start to the match.

It was Zvonareva's second successive Grand Slam final; she was also trounced in the Wimbledon final two months ago. Yet the Russian appeared nervy and out of her depth in a match that could have been hers for the taking.

Rewind nine years and it was Clijsters on the receiving end of a Grand Slam final loss, the first of four that left fans wondering if the universally-popular Belgian would ever pick up a major title.

Despite enjoying a stint as world number one, Clijsters stumbled at the final hurdle once at the Australian Open, twice at Roland Garros and on one occasion at Flushing Meadows before she finally picked up her first US Open title in 2005.

But even after the Belgian had made her breakthrough in major tournaments she was talked about as being 'too nice' to win multiple tournaments, an argument only buoyed by Clijsters failing to win the Australian Open in 2006 or 2007 despite being the form player heading in the tournament.

Zvonareva can, and should, take heart from the words uttered by the ever-gracious Clijsters after the match.

When Clijsters says: "She has improved so much. Vera just keep it going, it will happen" - you know she means it wholeheartedly.

And the Belgian is right; Zvonareva is more than capable of winning a Grand Slam in the future if she can just produce the kind of tennis everyone knows she is capable of in the big matches.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/14092010/58/ … -town.html

#518 15-09-2010 16:29:38

Serenity

User

Wywiad po zwycięstwie w US Open 2010

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Congratulations. It's a remarkable achievement what you did out there tonight and in such an impressive fashion with such great play. Now you have the career Grand Slam. Talk about what tonight means to you and this trophy means to you.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, well, just thank you very much, first thing. Yeah, it was amazing feeling. I think win against Novak is always very, very difficult, and the results say that lots of times, I lost against him. So I think for the first time in my career I played a very, very good match in this tournament. That's my feeling, no? I played my best match in the US Open at the most important moment, so I am very, very happy for that, for sure.

Q. In the career Grand Slam, though...

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I know, for you, very important, that. (Laughter.) You know, I still 24. I have, I know, for me, it's a dream have the career Grand Slam, but this is more dream have the US Open. Is some moments unbelievable feeling because I worked a lot all my life, in all difficult moments to be here, but I never imagined have the four Grand Slams.

Q. Can you talk a little bit how you've improved your hardcourt game? Because obviously you started on clay and then you made a big adjustment for grass. What have you done to become a champion on hardcourts?

RAFAEL NADAL: I did, in 2009, I won in Australia, too.

Q. But you're better now.

RAFAEL NADAL: Maybe, or maybe not. I don't know. (Laughter.) Is part of the moment and part of the situation, no? And part of the confidence. So always when you are playing well and when you are in the right moment with big confidence, seems like you improved a lot. But, you know, there are moments when you are not playing that good, when you lose your confidence, you lose matches, and seems like you are not playing that good and you forgot to play tennis. It's not like this, and it is not like this I improved a lot since 2009. I think I improved my tennis a little bit but is not a radical change, no? Sure, to win in here in the US Open I think is the more difficult tournament for me to play, more difficult conditions to adapt, to adjust my game on this court, for the balls, for the court, for everything, no? In Australia, anyway, if it's hot, the ball, the bounce are higher. And in Wimbledon, is true I have to adjust a lot my game to play in Wimbledon, but in my opinion, play in Wimbledon for me always wasn't that bad, because one of the most important things on Wimbledon is the movements, and I think my movements are good to play well in that surface. The surface help me, because my serve was not that good, that I have today, and with less serve I can do it the same, the same to the opponent as what I have today at this tournament especially and with this serve and with the US Open. For that reason I think the hardcourt always was the most difficult surface to play good for me, especially with the serve because I have to play almost every point, and probably the serve make the big difference in this tournament.

Q. I think you're strong mentally keep point for completing Grand Slam. How you keep your mental so strong, consistent?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I think my the practice is done a lot of years ago, so is not the moment now that I have. I am strong now because I think practice everything you can practice everything. I think the mentality, I practice it a lot, my mentality, a lot when I was a kid, so right now for me it is a little bit easier, I think.

Q. What do you think you have to accomplish to convince yourself that you're ahead of Roger, maybe the greatest ever?

RAFAEL NADAL: Remain a lot of titles, so that's no doubt about that, no? I think I am more than happy that with my titles, for sure I think is talk about if I am better or worse than Roger is stupid, because the titles say he's much better than me, so that's the true at that moment. I think will be the true all my life. But, sure, for me, always, always Roger was an example, especially because he improved his tennis I think during all his career, and that's a good thing that you can copy, no? So I try to copy this, and I know Roger and me are different, much different styles. Being better than Roger I don't think so is the right moment to talk about that, because I am I don't think that.

Q. What do you think the future of your rivalry is with him? How long do you think it will last?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. Well, now Novak is, too, but he has to defend a lot of points now in the end of the season now, Novak, too. He gonna have his chance to be win the year No. 2, Novak, too. But Roger is there, too, to finish No. 2. You know, we start every year, and a lot of new players and good players are there like well, not new, Novak and Andy are not new, Andy Murray, but always come new players, very good players. But for the last six years, Roger and me was we were No. 1 and No. 2, no? So that's probably a great rivalry since that six years. We will see what happens in the future. I am not a genius.

Q. Can you talk a little bit about today's rain delay, what you did during that time and what you told yourself about the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, well, the delay, it wasn't in the right moment for me, but just go back to the locker room, have a shower, and have all the tapes another time. That's what I did.

Q. What did you tell yourself about the match at that point?

RAFAEL NADAL: Nothing special, no? I think -- I thought before the match gonna be very difficult for me to win this match today, because the style of Novak is very difficult for me, because he play aggressive, he play very inside the court with very complete shots on the baseline, forehand and backhand, and difficult for me. But I started the match feeling the ball great, and for me what I said to myself is I did another time, so I can do it another time. So just be there, fight every point and try to play with high intensity all the time, so I know if I play with high intensely, put a lot of balls inside and play long. Finally, I think he can be more tired than me, so if the match is long, I think I gonna have a little bit of advantage, and that's what I thought before the match. But if he starts to play like he did in Paris, is true indoor is different, my level is completely different now than what I did in the Masters 1000 in Paris last year, but when he's playing at his best, he's very difficult to stop.

Q. I'm sorry we broke a tradition. Normally when the winner of the Grand Slam comes in the media room, everybody claps. We didn't do it tonight. (Applause.) Second thing, you're ahead of Roger being 24 years old of three Slams. I'd like to know, now that you lost only five times the serve in all tournament, only one set, what is your goal now? Because you won already everything, Davis Cup, Olympic Games, all the four Slams. Is the major goal to reach Roger or something else?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is very, very -- is too far. 16 for me is too far for me to think about that, no?

Q. So what else?

RAFAEL NADAL: My goal is all the time and all my life was the same, is keep improving and feel myself better player next year than what I felt this year. Being better player doesn't mean you gonna win more than you did, because win or lose sometimes is part of the moment and part of the confidence. But my goal remains for me that the Masters Cup is the big, yeah, probably the last big tournament that I didn't win. That's true is the most difficult title for me to win, because we play it in indoor, and when indoor, indoor very quick surface, so gonna be always very difficult if we don't change that. But at the same time is a challenge for me to keep improving to have the chance to play well there and to have the chance to win. So that's what I gonna try this year. For me right now the next goal is try to finish the season much better than what I did in other years. The last part of the season always was difficult for me. Well, today it started to be less difficult, that's true. But, yeah, I want to finish the season if it's possible with a good feeling.

Q. I spoke to Mats Wilander, and he said that you are the most improved player this year. You've won 21 matches and only dropped 2 sets. He says you're one hell of a special athlete. What could you do to improve since you've done so much with all these titles? How do you think you can improve?

RAFAEL NADAL: For me the most important thing is try to keep serving like I did during this tournament. I think that's if I can do it, this most of the times gonna be a big change for me and my tennis career, because if I have that free points that I had during all this tournament gonna be different for me. I can play more aggressive. I can play with more calm when I am returning. So can change a lot. So that's, for me, the first very important part to keep improving. After that, I can improve everything: volley, keep improving the volley, keep improving the position on court, being more inside the court. I improved a lot since last year, but never is enough. I am not a perfect player, so everybody can improve.

Q. Did you expect such good play from Novak in the second set?

RAFAEL NADAL: I expect everything from Novak because he's the No. 2 of the world, and his level is very, very high. I'm sure he gonna win this tournament very soon, no? Because his level is unbelievable, and I think he has the right game to win here and to win in almost every place, no, or in every place. So I wish him the best of luck, because he's a great athlete, but at the same time is a great, great person. When he lose, is not easy to do it what he do all the time when he lose matches. That's very positive for the sport and great example for everybody.

Q. You've achieved so much over these brief years starting maybe with the clay court streak and then winning in so many different circumstances. In the big picture, we sort of debate what are your greatest strengths. What do you think your greatest strengths are as a champion? Is it strokes or focus, willingness to make changes, attitude? What do you think are your two or three greatest strengths?

RAFAEL NADAL: What's my best thing? I think the mentality, attitude on court I think always was good for me. I am positive on court, and I fight all the time. But not the only thing. Positive attitude is not only fight on court. I think I was able to listen all the time to the coach and to have adjustments and to be ready to change things to be better and to improve. So probably that's was the best thing for me. If we talk about the game, for sure for me I think the best thing that I have is my intensity on court, no? When I am playing well, the intensity always is high. The rhythm is high. Sometimes yes but not always I have easy winners or with one shot winner, but I can have winners after three, four shots having a great rhythm all the time, no? So the focus on court I think was -- that's similar, no, the rhythm and focus. I can, I think, play at the same rhythm and the same level long time. So that's what I think my best thing is.

Q. He did a great job fighting off breakpoints. Did this make you nervous, or what did you think when he actually converted with so many great shots?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, on the statistics of the ATP I was No. 1 on breakpoints converted, so I think after this tournament I don't want to be No. 1 on breakpoints converted. Sure, because the second set I had big chance to go for the second break and decide the set before. I had to serve for the set with 5 4, and that's always dangerous. That's when I didn't convert any chance of the to do the second break. For sure was a little bit nervous for me, because especially on the 5 4 I have 15 30. So that was a very important moment, and at that moment I did something that I never did: three serves, one ace and two service winners. So that's the big experience for me, and believe me, that's good.

Q. Can you describe how much things have changed for you in the past 12, 15 months, whether you're surprised at how fast things have changed?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, the life change sometimes, no? Ten months ago seems like I never gonna be another time the same. Now seems I gonna be one of the greatest, so I don't think that's not that bad in that moment and not that good in this moment. So always is in the middle, I think, no? Last year I had a difficult year. Well, I had a great year because when you win a Grand Slam and three Masters 1000 you have a great year, but is true the second half of the year was very difficult for me, have some personal problems, home, and after, I have a lot of injuries, here the abdominal, before, the knees. So, yeah, wasn't an easy year. But is, at the same time, for sure, is not good have these moments but live these moments but at the same time, yes, because after that, when you come back, you are ready to (through translation) value how difficult is win titles and how difficult is be there all the time, no? When I came back and I started to win in Monte Carlo, you know, the emotion is completely different. So when you are winning and winning for a moments, you forgot how difficult this is do, is do it, no, is win tournaments no? So I didn't win a tournament for 11 months. I played for six months very bad. So after that, I think I was ready to come back in January of this year. I started the season playing really well, but the titles didn't came since I started in Monte Carlo, so was four months of playing well but hard moments, too. I was ready to win but without a victory. So I think I was I had great mentality at that moment.

Q. This is not a criticism, but what took you so long to get in here after you left the court? Were you celebrating with your family? Taking a shower? What were you doing that took you so long to get in here?

RAFAEL NADAL: What?

Q. To come over here. What took you so long? It's not a criticism. But what were you doing?

RAFAEL NADAL: Before?

Q. Yeah.

RAFAEL NADAL: I had the control antidoping, and saying hello, all the US Open staff and say thanks, everybody, for the organization, for the facilities that they give me, they give to me. After that, I was with the authorities, they came, thank you very much. Infanta, she came. Cristina, sorry. Cristina came. And the president of the Spanish Federation and the family. Just be out there for the family for a few minutes, and afterwards I was in the locker room organization, and having (through translation) planning? No. Organizing all the clothes. I have show in the locker.

Q. I know you don't like to compare, all right? You don't like to compare this and that and that, but you had so many celebrations, so many great moments in your career, and I saw you last this summer celebrating like if you were crazy when Spain won the World Cup in soccer. I'd like to know which is the emotion that really, you know, that causes you more joy in your life as being the most, the biggest that you never forget more than others?

RAFAEL NADAL: Every feeling is different and at the same time is good, no? Every victory is special, if we speak about my victories. Some ones are more than other ones. This one is very special for me, because is the last one remain. So when Spain won the World Cup was amazing. I was crying like like today, maybe, no? But is different feelings, but at the same time every feeling is unbelievable. But is very difficult to compare. Football is unbelievable. You know how big is football in Spain, or maybe you don't know, but we deserved that title. (Laughter.) We deserved that title a few years ago. Maybe you forgot. You forgot about the World Cup of '94 here? (Laughter.) (Motioning with elbow .) But we don't forgot. It was very emotional moment for us, for World Cup.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv … 13666.html

#519 16-09-2010 13:00:25

Art

User

Soccer-Nadal gets standing ovation at Real Madrid game

New U.S. Open tennis champion Rafa Nadal was given a standing ovation by Real Madrid fans when he strolled out on to the Bernabeu pitch before their Champions League match against Ajax Amsterdam on Wednesday.

The Spanish world number one, a shareholder in Real Mallorca in his native Balearic Islands and a passionate Real Madrid fan, paused in the centre circle to watch footage of him lifting the trophy in New York on Monday on a big screen.

Wearing a dark suit and white shirt, he posed for photos before heading up to his seat to watch the Group G match.

The 24-year-old arrived in the Spanish capital on Wednesday morning after becoming only the seventh man to win all four grand slams and following a whirlwind round of public events and television appearances.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/15092010/2/s … -game.html

Nadal keeps his focus after career NY breakthrough

Rafael Nadal was the toast of New York after winning his rain-delayed final at the US Open to claim the trophy and complete his career Grand Slam.

The Spaniard spent the morning after doing the round of American talk shows in New York before flying overnight back home to Spain.

He will now have just over 10 days of down time before heading to the Thailand Open, from September 27, with Bangkok the start of a three-week run in Asia culminating with the Shanghai Masters 1000 in
October. He is also due to headline in Tokyo.

Nadal said that the realisation that he had won the Open and completed one of his career dreams was finally starting to sink in after his four-set defeat of Novak Djokovic. "The US Open is the most difficult tournament for me to play, it has the most difficult conditions to adapt to. I must adjust my game to the court, the balls, for everything."

The modest Spaniard who now owns nine Grand Slam titles is keeping his head down and focusing on improvement as his career goes from one high point to another.

"My goal has always been the same: to keep improving and become a better player next year compared to year," said the No. 1. he named London's year-end championships as his next major goal. "it's the last big tournament that I've not won."

"It's a challenge for me to keep improving to have the chance to play well there and to have the chance to win. That's what I'm gonna try this year. The last part of the season always was difficult for me."

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20100 … eakthrough

#520 16-09-2010 16:52:00

Serenity

User

US Open - Nadal: I'm not the 'Special One'

Rafa Nadal arrived back in Madrid on Wednesday after becoming only the seventh man to win all four Grand Slams and immediately dismissed the idea he was the 'Spanish Special One'.

The 24-year-old has been involved in a whirlwind round of public events and television appearances since capturing his maiden U.S. Open title by beating Serb Novak Djokovic in Monday's final.

Nadal, though, said he could not be classified as Spain's all-time greatest sportsman despite adding the season's final tennis Grand Slam to his five French Opens, two Wimbledons and one Australian Open championship.

"I think it's obvious I'm not," the left-hander said at Madrid airport after his overnight trans-Atlantic flight from New York.

"It would be tremendously arrogant of me. All athletes have their merits for what they have done in their particular sports."

World number one Nadal continued to display typical modesty when he apologised to reporters for the early news conference.

"I'm very grateful. I know it's a difficult time of day. I'm sorry," said the Spaniard, grinning from ear to ear and showing little sign of jetlag.

Nadal also explained the improved serve that surprised many pundits at Flushing Meadows.

"The truth is I was not serving very well in the tournaments leading up to the US Open," he said.

"I've worked hard on the service because it needed it. I decided to change my grip two days before the tournament, to make it (the ball travel) quicker especially when serving against the wind there always is on centre court at Flushing Meadows.

"It was a risk but I had to take it and it all worked out pretty well."

Nadal will now take a break from tennis and the Real Mallorca shareholder and football fan is planning to watch Real Madrid later on Wednesday.

He will be at the Bernabeu to see the self-proclaimed Portuguese 'Special One' Jose Mourinho's new team take on Ajax Amsterdam in their Champions League opener.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/15092010/58/ … ecial.html

Stopka forum

RSS