mtenis.pun.pl - forum fanów tenisa ATP

Ogłoszenie

Forum zostało przeniesione na adres: www.mtenis.com.pl

#521 16-09-2010 20:47:02

jaccol55

Administrator

Re: Rafael Nadal

NADAL CLINCHES YEAR-END NO. 1 FOR SECOND TIME

For the second time in three years Rafael Nadal will finish as the No. 1 player in the year-end South African Airways ATP Rankings.

The 24-year-old Spaniard is the ninth player in the history of the South African Airways ATP Rankings (since 1973) to finish as ATP World Tour Champion at least twice. He and rival Roger Federer are the only players since 2000 to clinch the year-end No. 1 ranking in the week after the US Open. Federer did it in 2004 and '06.

Nadal said: "It has been an incredible season - one of my best ever, if not the best. Winning the US Open together with Roland Garros and Wimbledon, as well as the three back-to-back (ATP World Tour) Masters 1000s in Europe, was not easy.  I worked very hard to get back to the top and it feels really good to know I will end the year as No.1."

See Nadal In London: Buy Tickets Now

Nadal will be officially crowned as the 2010 ATP World Tour Champion during a special ceremony at the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London, Nov. 21-28. Nadal and Federer are the first two players to qualify for the eight-man field. He is the third left-hander to finish No. 1 at least twice, joining Jimmy Connors (five times, 1974-78) and John McEnroe (four times, 1981-84).

On Monday, Nadal became the seventh man in history to achieve a career Grand Slam as he earned his first US Open title. He is also the first player to win three straight Grand Slam titles in the same year since Rod Laver won all four in 1969. Nadal is the youngest player in the Open Era to achieve a career Grand Slam. It was the Mallorcan native's ninth career Grand Slam crown and he is the second-youngest player behind Bjorn Borg to win nine Slam titles.

Nadal also joins Ivan Lendl and Federer as the only players to have held, lost and regained the year-end No. 1 ranking in the 37-year history of the South African Airways ATP Rankings (since 1973). Lendl held the year-end No. 1 ranking from 1985-87 and finished No. 2 in 1988 before reclaiming No. 1 in 1989. Federer was No. 1 from 2004-07, went to No. 2 in '08 and then returned to the top spot last year.

Nadal leads the ATP World Tour with six titles and a 59-7 match record in 2010. Since April he has won 43 of 46 matches, winning six of nine tournaments, including three consecutive ATP World Tour Masters 1000 clay court events (Monte-Carlo, Rome, Madrid) and his fifth Roland Garros title in six years. In July, he captured his second Wimbledon title in three years.

ATP WORLD TOUR CHAMPIONS (since 1973)
Year Player
2010 Rafael Nadal (Spain)
2009 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2008 Rafael Nadal (Spain)
2007 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2006 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2005 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2004 Roger Federer (Switzerland)
2003 Andy Roddick (U.S.)
2002 Lleyton Hewitt (Australia)
2001 Lleyton Hewitt (Australia)
2000 Gustavo Kuerten (Brazil)
1999 Andre Agassi (U.S.)
1998  Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1997 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1996 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1995 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1994 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1993 Pete Sampras (U.S.)
1992 Jim Courier (U.S.)
1991 Stefan Edberg (Sweden)
1990 Stefan Edberg (Sweden)
1989 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1988 Mats Wilander (Sweden)
1987 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1986 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1985 Ivan Lendl (Czech Republic)
1984 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1983 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1982 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1981 John McEnroe (U.S.)
1980 Bjorn Borg (Sweden)
1979 Bjorn Borg (Sweden)
1978 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1977 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1976 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1975 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1974 Jimmy Connors (U.S.)
1973 Ilie Nastase (Romania) 

MULTIPLE ATP WORLD TOUR CHAMPIONS
Player (No.)
Pete Sampras 6
Jimmy Connors 5
Roger Federer 5
Ivan Lendl 4
John McEnroe 4
Bjorn Borg 2
Stefan Edberg 2
Lleyton Hewitt 2
Rafael Nadal 2

#522 16-09-2010 21:12:25

Serenity

User

Rafa the toast of Spanish sport

Rafael Nadal's status ranks alongside Spain's World Cup champion footballers after the US Open title which completed a career Grand Slam for the world No. 1.

Nadal got a taste of the home adulation as he was given a standing ovation when he arrived for Real Madrid's Champions League match against Ajax Amsterdam at the Bernabeu stadium in the capital.

Nadal had flown in from New York after doing the American chat shows following his four-set win over Novak Djokovic. The top man in the game is also a stakeholder in his local Real Mallorca side.

Despite his new elite status in tennis, Nadal remains humble about the accomplishments on court which are drawing him closer to Roger Federer as the list of all-time greats is made. But Nadal is having nothing of that kind of talk.

"I have a lot of title to go," said the winner of nine Grand Slam singles crowns as he compared his total to that of Federer's 16. "I'm more than happy that with my titles, for sure. I think is talk about if I am better or worse than Roger is stupid, because the titles say he's much better than me, that's the truth at that moment. I think will be the truth all my life."

"Roger was an example, especially because he improved his tennis during all his career, that's a good thing to copy. Roger and me are different, much different styles. But being better than Roger - I don't think this is the right moment to talk about that."

http://tennistalk.com/en/news/20100916/ … nish_sport

#523 17-09-2010 08:00:19

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer

jaccol55 napisał:

Bjorn Borg 2
Stefan Edberg 2
Lleyton Hewitt 2
Rafael Nadal 2

Jak to ktoś napisał na zagranicznym forum: "Nadal zrównał się z poziomem Hewitta".

Graty Rafa.

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#524 17-09-2010 19:14:08

Velasquez

User

Najbardziej nielubiany przeze mnie zawodnik.

Odczuwam do niego sporą niechęć. Nie tylko z powodu zwycięstw z Rogerem, ale przede wszystkim stylem gry. Mimo tego mam do niego szacunek, w pełni zasłużył sobie na te wszystkie zwycięstwa. Zaimponował mi skromnością, do tego młody, z sukcesami, z kupą forsy, a nadal mu nie odbiło.

Roger Federer <---> Novak Djoković <---> Andy Roddick

#525 20-09-2010 08:57:57

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Nadal po raz drugi w karierze zapewnił sobie miano #1 na koniec sezonu, tym razem 2010. Trochę ciekawostek:

Wcześniej Hiszpan był Mistrzem ATP w roku 2008. Rafa to 3 tenisista w Erze Open, który odzyskał #1 na koniec roku - wcześniej tej sztuki dokonali Ivan Lendl i Roger Federer.

Rafa zapewnił sobie zwycięstwo w sezonie ATP tuż po US Open i stał się 2 tenisistą w historii, któremu udała się ta sztuka. Przed nim dokonał tego tylko Roger Federer i to dwukrotnie, w latach 2004 i 2006.

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#526 20-09-2010 15:28:25

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Rafa's rise to world domination

All hail the new king of the courts.

Rafael Nadal fell to his knees under the leaden skies of Flushing Meadows on Monday after beating Novak Djokovic to be crowned US Open champion and firmly cement his place in the history books.

After two weeks of charming the New York crowds with brute force and devastating beauty, the 24-year-old Spaniard finally got his hands on the trophy that had eluded him for so long to become only the seventh man to complete the Grand Slam set.

Five titles on the Roland Garros clay, two on the Wimbledon grass and last year's victory at the Australian Open were signs of greatness in the making.

Nadal's 6-4 5-7 6-4 6-2 win over Serbia's weary number three seed meant the New York concrete had finally been conquered after seven years of trying. Sunday's downpours merely delayed his conquest.

"That's more than I dreamt," declared the man from Mallorca who had never previously got past the US Open semi-finals.

"For the first time in my career, I played a very, very good match in this tournament. I played my best match in the US Open at the most important moment."

It was a contest that Roger Federer, five-time champion in New York and loser to Djokovic in this year's semis, could not bear to watch.

The 29-year-old Swiss had already been replaced by Nadal at the top of the rankings and with the player boasting the deadliest and most powerful left arm in the business now more than halfway to Federer's haul of 16 Grand Slam titles, it could be argued the Spaniard is set to topple his arch rival.

Federer has up until recently been hailed by many to be the greatest. Nadal says any comparisons with him are "stupid". But the stats are compelling.

When analysing the duo's accomplishments at the same age, Federer secured the Slam sweep at the 2009 French Open aged two-and-a-half years older than Nadal's current age. Nadal has won 42 titles with Federer having won 33 when aged 24, while Nadal has won 82.4% of his matches, compared to Federer's 76.6% five years ago.

Bjorn Borg, US Open runner-up four times, was the only other man to bag nine major championship victories by 24.

Nadal first picked up a racquet aged four with his uncle Toni (who remains his mentor and coach) and after turning professional in 2001, won his first match on the ATP circuit in Mallorca to become the ninth player in the professional era to win an ATP match before his 16th birthday.

His first ATP title arrived in Poland in 2004, a year later he became the first man since Mats Wilander (1982) to win the French Open title on his debut and in the following year at Roland Garros, racked up his 54th consecutive clay-court win. His winning streak on clay would go on to reach 81.

His march to the top was relentless. A straights-set demolition of Federer ensured a fourth successive French Open crown in 2008 and a month later, the Swiss was toppled once again in a five-set epic as Nadal conquered Wimbledon's grass for the first time.

Federer was again on the receiving end eight months later in the Australian Open final as his Spanish nemesis powered his way to glory on Melbourne's hard courts in another belting five-setter.

The left-hander's rise has not been without its setbacks. The last year has been a monumental test, on and off the court, with knee tendonitis, abdominal pain, a knee injury and the break-up of his parents all proving major obstacles.

"The life changes sometimes," Nadal said in New York on Monday night. "The second half of the year was very difficult. Ten months ago seems like I was never going to be the same. Now seems it's going to be one of the greatest."

The true test of Nadal's greatness will be his longevity and being able to surpass Federer's 16 Slam crowns. His approach to this year's tournament at Flushing Meadows and his evolution from king of clay to king of concrete provides a glimpse of what the future may hold.

While the packed crowd on Arthur Ashe cheered their tearful new victor on Monday, Nadal admitted the US Open was the most difficult tournament to play in - having to adjust his game for the "balls, the court, everything, but especially the serve".

As well as the barrage of missiles firing at all angles from the baseline, his serve is now one of his crucial weapons.

Nadal's average serve speed increased from 107mph in 2009 to 119 this year, and through six rounds and 91 service games in the build-up to the Djokovic clash, he won 84% of his first-serve points and was broken just twice.

These could be worrying signs for anybody considering competing with the current Slam champion of three surfaces and last year's winner in Melbourne.

Djokovic, the only player to take a set off Nadal in seven matches at Flushing Meadows, said: "Nadal is proving each day, each year, that he's getting better. That's what's so frustrating. He's getting better each time you play him.

"He's so mentally strong and dedicated to this sport. He has all the capabilities, everything he needs, in order to be the biggest ever."

John McEnroe, a four-time champion in New York, had no doubt of Nadal's credentials in August when predicting Nadal's success at the US Open.

"The guy's just an animal. He's mentally and physically incredible," the American former world number one said.

More telling perhaps was Nadal's verdict that there remained room for improvement. He added: "I need to keep working on my serve and be more aggressive. I am not a perfect player. Everybody can improve."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8996667.stm

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#527 20-09-2010 21:42:23

Serenity

User

Nadal kocha Real, a Real kocha Nadala

Od dawna wiadomo, że Rafael Nadal jest wielkim fanem madryckiego klubu. Przed środowym spotkaniem na Santiago Bernabeu z Ajaksem Amsterdam, kibice "Królewskich" uhonorowali 24-letniego mistrza US Open owacją na stojąco i trzyminutowymi brawami. Tenisista był bardzo szczęśliwy i wzruszony.

Niespełna 48 godzin wcześniej, Nadal pokonał w finale US Open Novak Djokovicia i tym samym wywalczył dziewiąty w karierze wielkoszlemowy tytuł.

Od razu po powrocie ze Stanów Zjednoczonych zameldował się na stadionie Santiago Bernabeu. Tysięce fanów zgotowało mu kapitalne przyjęcie. 24-letni Rafa przyjechał na mecz z ojcem. Reszta rodziny i sztab trenerski Hiszpana poleciał do Palma de Mallorca.

Rafa wyglądał bardzo elegancko. W pięknym garniturze dostał owację na stojąco, a spiker wyczytał wszystkie jego zwycięstwa wielkoszlemowe i nazwał go najlepszym tenisistą wszechczasów. Wygrał nie tylko każdy z czterech najważniejszych turniejów, ale także wywalczył złoty medal olimpijski. Teraz zawodnik będzie miał kilka dni wolnego, a potem udaje się do Azji na ostatnią część sezonu.

Szefowie Realu chcieli oddać hołd Nadalowi w ostatniej chwili przed rozpoczęciem spotkania, a więc po odtworzeniu klubowego. UEFA jest bardzo surowa wobec tego typu uroczystości i pozwoliła klubowi na uhonorowanie sportowca dopiero na dwadzieścia minut przed rozpoczęciem meczu.

Nadal wielokrotnie bywał na spotkaniach swojego ukochanego zespołu nie tylko przy okazji Ligi Mistrzów, ale także rozgrywek Primera Division. Podczas majowego turnieju ATP w Madrycie na pojedynkach Rafy bywali piłkarze "Królewskich", w tym m.in. Iker Casillas i Raul, który odszedł już z zespołu.

Uczestniczył także w charytatywnych meczach piłkarskich i tenisowych organizowanych razem z Realem.

http://www.eurosport.pl/tenis/us-open/2 … tory.shtml

#528 20-09-2010 21:43:52

Serenity

User

Nadal serves up a timely treat for his uncle Toni

With less than a week to go before the US Open, Rafael Nadal was concerned. His backhand had been "terrible", he had been making too many unforced errors on his forehand and his serve had been ineffective. Opponents were regularly driving their returns to his backhand as the Spaniard tried to run round the ball and avoid playing it on his weaker flank.

After only two matches at Flushing Meadows, the world No 1's game had been turned around. He had not lost a set or dropped his serve and was striking the ball with more confidence, especially on his backhand. Everything had changed with the arrival in America of his uncle and coach, Toni Nadal, in the week before the tournament.

"Toni arrives and everything is under control," Nadal explained with a laugh after his second-round victory over Denis Istomin. "I started serving well one or two days before the competition, but in practice the week before it wasn't good.

"I changed the grip a little bit five or six days ago because I felt when I played against the wind I wasn't getting any free points. I tried to serve with a little bit more aggression. For the moment it's working really well so I'm going to try to keep playing like this. Serving like this gives me big confidence in my game."

Less than a fortnight later, Nadal became US Open champion and only the seventh man to win all four Grand Slam titles. In seven matches he dropped his serve only five times, a performance that only Andy Roddick has matched since such statistics were first compiled in 1991.

The extra power in his serve, helped by the change in grip, gave Nadal the confidence to serve with more variety and play with more aggression. His early successes on clay derived from his ability as a counter-puncher, but on other surfaces he has learned the need to attack more. Four of his last five Grand Slam titles – he has won nine in total – have been won on grass or hard courts.

Nevertheless, it was an extraordinary performance given both Nadal's hard-court form earlier in the summer – he lost to Andy Murray in Toronto and to Marcos Baghdatis in Cincinnati – and the conditions at the US Open. Many experts said the Mallorcan's heavily spun forehands, cracked with a huge arcing swing, would make it difficult for him to cope with the pace of the "unfluffy" Wilson balls off a surface that some consider to be quicker even than Wimbledon's.

Although Nadal agreed that his serve "probably made the big difference", he insisted after his victory that he had made no significant changes to his hard-court game, which he said was much as it had been when he won last year's Australian Open.

"Part of it is confidence," he said. "When you are playing well and your confidence is high, it seems like you've improved a lot, but there are moments when you're not playing that well, when you lose your confidence, you lose matches and it seems like you've forgotten how to play tennis. It's not like I've improved a lot since 2009. I think I've improved my tennis a little bit, but it's not a radical change."

Much of that confidence derives from his relationship with Toni, who has been his coach since he was four. When you watch their practice sessions, the respect and affection between nephew and uncle is clear.

Rafael, a tireless worker, plays and practises with unrelenting commitment. He said: "My goal all my life has been the same: to keep improving and make myself feel a better player next year than what I felt this year."

What does he see as his greatest strengths? "I think my mentality, my attitude on court has always been good. I am positive on court and I fight all the time. But that's not the only thing. I think I was able to listen all the time to my coach, to make adjustments and to be ready to change things in order to improve.

"If you're talking about my game, I think the best thing that I have is my intensity on court. When I am playing well, the intensity always is high. The rhythm is high. Sometimes you can hit easy winners, but I can hit winners after three or four shots by keeping a great rhythm all the time."

Nadal is already certain to finish the year as world No 1. Given that he has no titles to defend until next April, he is also likely to establish the biggest lead in the history of the world rankings. His current advantage of 4,880 points over Novak Djokovic, the world No 2, is only 310 short of the record, which Nadal himself established in May 2009, ahead of Roger Federer.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tenn … 83398.html

#529 20-09-2010 21:45:56

Serenity

User

Nadal joins legends – but he has weapons to leave them behind

How rash we were to doubt him. When Rafael Nadal headed to Monte Carlo for the start of the European outdoor season in April, the biggest question was whether the Spaniard would ever rescale the heights. Having struggled to recover from his knee problems of the previous year, he had gone 11 months without winning a tournament and lost 12 of his previous 14 matches against top 10 opponents.

Five months later the question on everyone's lips is a very different one. Is the 24-year-old Spaniard on course to become the greatest player of all time?

It was little more than 12 months ago that the sport was acclaiming Roger Federer as the best in history after he became only the sixth man to win all four Grand Slam titles and overtook Pete Sampras' record haul of 14 major crowns. Nadal, however, not only expanded that elite group of men to seven with his memorable 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 victory over Novak Djokovic in the final of the US Open in New York on Monday night, but continued to outstrip his great rival in terms of the age at which he has reached his milestones.

At 24 years and three months (Nadal's current age), Federer had won six Grand Slam titles. Nadal has already claimed nine and has won the "career Grand Slam" three and a half years earlier than Federer did. He has also done it at a time when the Swiss has been at his peak.

"He has the capabilities already to become the best player ever," Djokovic said in the wake of Monday's final. "He's playing the best tennis that I've ever seen him play on hard courts. He's improved his serve drastically. There's his speed, his accuracy, and of course his baseline game is as good as ever.

"He's getting better each time you play him. He's so strong mentally and dedicated to this sport. He has lots of time if he holds on physically for the next five, six or seven years. He has the game now for every surface and he's won every major. He's proved to the world that he's the best at this moment. There's no question about it."

When Nadal won his fourth Grand Slam title – all of them at the French Open – two summers ago he was still regarded by some as a clay-court specialist. Winning on grass at Wimbledon a month later changed all that and when he added the Australian Open on a hard court in 2009 he completed the set of Grand Slam titles on different surfaces.

However, Nadal had never gone beyond the semi-finals of the US Open, where the conditions and the time of year – after a summer in which he had always given everything in the clay and grass-court seasons – always counted against him. Playing on hard courts also puts enormous stress on Nadal's suspect knees. This year careful management of the problem and a lighter playing schedule have brought him through the summer unscathed.

Nevertheless, it would be wrong to assume that he will overtake Federer just because he has achieved more at an earlier age. Nadal's all-action style of play puts much greater demands on the body – Federer is lighter on his feet and wins points more quickly through his more aggressive game – and it remains to be seen whether the Spaniard's knees will continue to hold up.

If adapting his game to win at Wimbledon was regarded as Nadal's greatest single achievement, the manner of his victory in New York represents an arguably finer triumph. The combination of a fast surface, intense heat and zippy Wilson balls make the conditions at the US Open arguably quicker even than at Wimbledon – and certainly not ideal for the big swing Nadal uses on his heavily top-spun forehands.

His serve, which had been a comparative weakness in the past, was also seen as a problem, but, remarkably, no US Open champion has been broken on fewer occasions since such statistics were first recorded 19 years ago. Having changed his grip just days before the start of the tournament, Nadal served with significantly more power and variety.

He equalled the record of Andy Roddick, who dropped his serve only five times in 2003, and would have beaten it had Djokovic not broken him three times. The Serb also stopped the Spaniard becoming the first player in the Open era to win in New York without dropping a set.

Nadal always believed that playing on grass actually helped to compensate him for his serve. "Even with not such a good serve it was just as effective at Wimbledon as my current serve has been here," he said. "I think hard courts were always the most difficult surface for me, especially on serve because I had to play hard to win every point. The serve probably made the big difference in this tournament."

He added: "If I can keep serving like this and have the 'free' points on my serve that I had during all this tournament it should be a big change for me. I can also play more aggressively and with more calm when I am returning. I can change a lot. I can improve everything: volleys, my position on court, being more inside the court. I've improved a lot since last year, but it's never enough."

Nadal said the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London in November was his big target for the rest of this year. "That's probably the last big tournament that I haven't won," he said.

The ever-modest Spaniard, who thought that winning the US Open was an even greater dream than winning all four Grand Slam titles, dismissed talk about being the greatest. "The number of titles Roger has won says he's much better than me and I think that will be true all my life," he said. "Roger has always been an example to me, especially because of the way he has improved his tennis throughout his career."

Nadal said that the second half of last year, when he had to cope with the break up of his parents' marriage and his injury problems, had been hard. "It wasn't an easy year, but at the same time when you come back after you've been through times like this you appreciate how difficult it can be to win titles," he said.

The world No 1 said that Djokovic's excellence had forced him to play his best match ever in New York. Djokovic's career seemed to have reached a plateau following his Australian Open triumph in 2008, but his rediscovered aggression, coolness under pressure (he saved 20 out of 26 break points against Nadal) and resilience have entrenched him firmly in the group of contenders for major honours. The 23-year-old Serb has reclaimed the No 2 spot in the world rankings from Federer, whom he beat in the semi-finals in the outstanding match of the tournament.

The sportsmanship Djokovic showed at the end, giving Nadal the warmest of embraces and hailing his greatness, underlined what a golden age this has become for tennis, both in terms of the ability and the grace of its leading men. For a British audience, the big hope is that Andy Murray can remain a part of that elite group. He is, after all, the only man to have beaten Nadal in a Grand Slam tournament this year.

How Nadal won his career Grand Slam

US Open

13 Sept 2010 (Age: 24): Defeats Serbia's Novak Djokovic 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 to complete the career Grand Slam in New York

French Open

5 June 2005 (Age: 19): Won as fourth seed for first of five titles at Roland Garros (also won in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2010)

Wimbledon

6 July 2008 (Age: 22): Overcame Federer in a five-hour epic seen as one of the best-ever finals. Also won at SW19 this year

Australian Open

1 Feb 2009 (Age: 22): Left Federer in tears after another five-set marathon, winning in Melbourne at the fifth attempt

Seven wonders of world tennis: Career Grand Slams

Fred Perry (Eng)

Aus: 1934; French: 1935; Wimbledon: 1934, 1935, 1936; US: 1933, 1934, 1936

Don Budge (US)

Aus: 1938; French: 1938; Wimbledon: 1937, 1938; US: 1937, 1938

Rod Laver (Aus)

Aus: 1960, 1962, 1969; French: 1962, 1969; Wimbledon: 1961, 1962, 1968, 1969; US: 1962, 1969

Roy Emerson (Aus)

Aus: 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967; French: 1963, 1967; Wimbledon: 1964, 1965; US: 1961, 1964

Andre Agassi (US)

Aus: 1995, 2000, 2001, 2003; French: 1999; Wimbledon: 1992; US: 1994, 1999

Roger Federer (Swit)

Aus: 2004, 2006, 2007, 2010; French: 2009; Wimbledon: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009; US: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Rafael Nadal (Sp)

Aus: 2009; French: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010; Wim: 2008, 2010; US: 2010

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tenn … 79324.html

#530 20-09-2010 21:47:41

Serenity

User

Rafael Nadal's gladiatorial spirit puts the fallen sports stars to shame

"My name is Rafael Nadal Parera, commander of my legions of fans, general of the sport of tennis, loyal servant to my coach and uncle Toni, son to Sebastián and Ana María, and I will always be avenged, in this set or the next."

Apologies to Russell Crowe, but right now in the world of sport, Rafa Nadal is the gladiator. On court he plays like one. Off court it's as though he keeps a copy of Rudyard Kipling's If in his tennis bag. What an impressive young man he is.

Reputations of sports stars have recently been falling asunder almost by the day. First there was Tiger Woods, whose private life came apart and, by his standards, his game too. We have had the Pakistan fiasco which has put the very sport of cricket in jeopardy.

Wayne Rooney has followed John Terry and Peter Crouch into the tabloids and apparently three other top footballers would be joining them if it were not for some clever legal work.

Former world boxing champion Ricky Hatton is in rehab with drink and drug problems and current world champion David Haye's crass "gang rape" remark at the press conference for his forthcoming fight beggared belief.

In addition, the reputation of John Higgins, the former world snooker champion, was delivered a blow last week as he was fined and suspended by the sport's governing body for a lack of judgment after being caught in a newspaper sting.

Sporting role models are becoming a little thin on the ground. But at least we have Nadal, who plays his sport like a man with a serious grudge, ignoring setbacks, always dealing with the next point as if his life depended on it but never without respect for his opponent.

Watching him in the early hours of last Tuesday, becoming only the seventh male player to complete the full set of tennis grand slams, I was again in awe of how he dealt magnificently with Novak Djokovic, who had beaten him in their three previous encounters and had ended Roger Federer's challenge in the semi-final and who at times played brilliantly himself.

While Nadal is such an irresistible force on court, off it he comes over as a shy, self-effacing individual who only has good things to say about everyone. A cynic might well think he is a clever professional paying lip service to those he needs to, just as Tiger used to do, but I genuinely believe Nadal is one good guy.

Witness his interview on court after dispensing with the Russian Mikhail Youzhny in the semi-final. American interviewer Mary Joe Fernandez was wittering on with her 'how did it feels' and 'what does it means' when Nadal stopped her in her tracks. "I would like to say something else," he said.

"I would just like to pay my respects to all the people who lost their lives in the Twin Towers." He had not been prompted to do so, but he had not forgotten he had been playing on Sept 11. It was delivered in a language in which he is not yet quite totally at home, but it was classy and very moving and, of course, the New Yorkers loved him for it.

Sky's coverage of the US Open was top notch. It was held together in relaxed fashion by Marcus Buckland. He got the best out of Greg Rusedski and Annabel Croft, who always had good opinions, while the commentary of Mark Petchey and Peter Fleming was nicely understated. Unlike many in the business, they know when to let the pictures speak for themselves.

Once again Andy Murray disappointed us and, more importantly, himself. He has wins against Federer, Djokovic and Nadal but not when it matters most. He is undoubtedly a great player, at times producing the kind of bespoke tennis that even those three, with 26 grand slam wins between them, cannot match, but if ever a man needed an able sports psychologist, it is the 23-year-old Scot, for whom time will soon be ringing alarm bells.

There are occasions, when things are not going his way, when he reminds me of Harry Enfield's character Kevin. Murray needs a more gladiatorial spirit and someone other than mum to put their armour around him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis … shame.html

#531 21-09-2010 17:10:13

Serenity

User

Nadal Confirms Queen's Club Return

Just a week after winning the US Open to complete the career-Grand Slam and guarantee the year-end No.1 ranking, Rafael Nadal has turned his attention to next year’s grass-court season by confirming that he will play in the AEGON Championships at The Queen’s Club in 2011.

Nadal, who became the first man to win consecutive French Open, Wimbledon and US Open titles since Rod Laver achieved the feat in 1969, is already looking forward to returning to the event that he won two years ago.

"I love playing at The Queen's Club because it is a traditional club,” said Nadal.

“Every time I have played there I have felt very welcome because of the British people and their support, and because of the tournament organisers who are so good at their job.”

Nadal has reached the Wimbledon final shortly after all four of his appearances at The Queen’s Club - he was the Wimbledon runner-up in 2006 and 2007, and the champion in 2008 and 2010. In 2009, he was injured and unable to play either event.

“After the French Open, it is very important for me to feel the grass under my feet as soon as possible,” added Nadal, who took to the practise courts in London within 24 hours of winning his fifth Roland Garros title. “I tried my best in every match this year (at The Queen’s Club) and was disappointed that I could not win the tournament but I reached the quarterfinals and it definitely helped me to feel ready for Wimbledon. I am looking forward to playing at both of these important events in 2011."

Chris Kermode, AEGON Championships Tournament Director, was delighted with the news.

“Rafa’s achievements over the past six months have been astounding, and we are thrilled that he has made such an early commitment to play at the AEGON Championships in 2011,” said Kermode.

“He has reached the Wimbledon final in all of the years that he has played at our event, and the way that he won the French Open last year and stepped straight out onto the grass courts to practise the following day showed just how much he wants to do well. He is hugely popular with all of our spectators, sponsors and staff and we look forward to seeing him next June.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … eturn.aspx

#532 27-09-2010 08:34:15

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Lekarz zwraca uwagę Nadalowi na coś ważnego.

Rafael Nadal musi się nauczyć jak słuchać swojego ciała, jeśli chce zdominować tenisowy świata jak Roger Federer - powiedział lekarz hiszpańskiego tenisisty.
24-letni Hiszpan w tym miesiącu zwyciężył w US Open i tym samym skompletował wielkiego szlema. Jest dopiero siódmym zawodnikiem, który dokonał tej sztuki.

Ale jak na razie królem tenisa pozostaje Roger Federer, wyprzedzający Nadala o siedem zwycięstw w wielkoszlemowych turniejach. Po wygraniu US Open kibice na świecie zaczęli się zastanawiać, czy Hiszpan będzie w stanie dogonić lub ewentualnie przegonić Szwajcara. Umiejętności posiada odpowiednie. Gorzej ze zdrowiem, bo Rafael Nadal od lat ma problemy ze swoimi kolanami.

- On musi się nauczyć jak dbać o siebie, by trzymać się na wysokim poziomie przez wiele lat - powiedział dziennikowi "Marca" lekarz Nadala Mikel Sanchez.

Lider światowego rankingu zwrócił się do ortopedycznego specjalisty po Australian Open, kiedy poczuł silny ból.

- To niesamowite, że potrafił grać dalej z kolanami w takim stanie - dodał Sanchez, który leczył Rafaela Nadala serią zastrzyków z osocza, by pomóc w odbudowie ścięgien.

- Jeżeli będzie kontynuował grę w takim samym rytmie, istnieje ryzyko, że ścięgna znów ulegną urazowi. Podobnie może się stać z innymi ścięgnami, takimi jak Achillesa - wyjaśnia Mikel Sanchez. - Poddaje swoje ścięgna gwałtownej pracy, ponieważ dużo trenuje. Spędza na korcie mnóstwo godzin, gra dużo meczów i zawsze na 100 procent - tłumaczy.

- Jeśli ciało nie potrafi zregenerować tego, co zostało zniszczone, powstają kontuzje. Im bardziej agresywny jesteś, tym więcej kontuzji łapiesz. Im cięższe mięśnie nosisz, a on tak ma, jesteś bardziej podatny na urazy - mówił.

Sanchez musiał przekonać Nadala, by zrezygnował z udziału w tegorocznym turnieju w Barcelonie. Podkreślił jednocześnie, że tego typu decyzje Rafael Nadal będzie musiał w przyszłości podejmować sam.

- On musi zrozumieć, że im będzie starszy, tym większą równowagę będzie musiał zachować. Nie może próbować wygrać każdego turnieju w ciągu najbliższych 10 lat - zakończył Mikel Sanchez.

http://www.eurosport.pl/tenis/lekarz-o- … tory.shtml

U Nas tego jeszcze nie napisałem, ale dla mnie te wszystkie kontuzje Nadala są mocno przesadzone. Nie uważam, że ich  ogóle nie ma, ale jak czytam te wszystkie straszne historie o stanie Jego kolan, a następnie zestawiam to z Jego ostatnimi wynikami to odczytuję to jako niezłą ściemę. 3 szlemy w 3 miechy z kolanami 50-latka, taa.

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#533 27-09-2010 17:24:07

anula

Kobieta z klasą

Ulubiony zawodnik: Rafa Nadal

DUN I LOVE napisał:

Lekarz zwraca uwagę Nadalowi na coś ważnego.

Rafael Nadal musi się nauczyć jak słuchać swojego ciała, jeśli chce zdominować tenisowy świata jak Roger Federer - powiedział lekarz hiszpańskiego tenisisty.
24-letni Hiszpan w tym miesiącu zwyciężył w US Open i tym samym skompletował wielkiego szlema. Jest dopiero siódmym zawodnikiem, który dokonał tej sztuki.

Ale jak na razie królem tenisa pozostaje Roger Federer, wyprzedzający Nadala o siedem zwycięstw w wielkoszlemowych turniejach. Po wygraniu US Open kibice na świecie zaczęli się zastanawiać, czy Hiszpan będzie w stanie dogonić lub ewentualnie przegonić Szwajcara. Umiejętności posiada odpowiednie. Gorzej ze zdrowiem, bo Rafael Nadal od lat ma problemy ze swoimi kolanami.

- On musi się nauczyć jak dbać o siebie, by trzymać się na wysokim poziomie przez wiele lat - powiedział dziennikowi "Marca" lekarz Nadala Mikel Sanchez.

Lider światowego rankingu zwrócił się do ortopedycznego specjalisty po Australian Open, kiedy poczuł silny ból.

- To niesamowite, że potrafił grać dalej z kolanami w takim stanie - dodał Sanchez, który leczył Rafaela Nadala serią zastrzyków z osocza, by pomóc w odbudowie ścięgien.

- Jeżeli będzie kontynuował grę w takim samym rytmie, istnieje ryzyko, że ścięgna znów ulegną urazowi. Podobnie może się stać z innymi ścięgnami, takimi jak Achillesa - wyjaśnia Mikel Sanchez. - Poddaje swoje ścięgna gwałtownej pracy, ponieważ dużo trenuje. Spędza na korcie mnóstwo godzin, gra dużo meczów i zawsze na 100 procent - tłumaczy.

- Jeśli ciało nie potrafi zregenerować tego, co zostało zniszczone, powstają kontuzje. Im bardziej agresywny jesteś, tym więcej kontuzji łapiesz. Im cięższe mięśnie nosisz, a on tak ma, jesteś bardziej podatny na urazy - mówił.

Sanchez musiał przekonać Nadala, by zrezygnował z udziału w tegorocznym turnieju w Barcelonie. Podkreślił jednocześnie, że tego typu decyzje Rafael Nadal będzie musiał w przyszłości podejmować sam.

- On musi zrozumieć, że im będzie starszy, tym większą równowagę będzie musiał zachować. Nie może próbować wygrać każdego turnieju w ciągu najbliższych 10 lat - zakończył Mikel Sanchez.

http://www.eurosport.pl/tenis/lekarz-o- … tory.shtml

U Nas tego jeszcze nie napisałem, ale dla mnie te wszystkie kontuzje Nadala są mocno przesadzone. Nie uważam, że ich  ogóle nie ma, ale jak czytam te wszystkie straszne historie o stanie Jego kolan, a następnie zestawiam to z Jego ostatnimi wynikami to odczytuję to jako niezłą ściemę. 3 szlemy w 3 miechy z kolanami 50-latka, taa.

Ha! Ha!
Najzabawniejsze jest to, że na temat katastrofalnego stanu kolan Rafy najwięcej do powiedzenia mieli zawsze fani Rogera lub ludzie, którzy niewiele mieli wspólnego z obozem Hiszpana.
Mało kto słuchał w tej sprawie samego zawodnika.

#534 27-09-2010 17:58:02

Robertinho

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer forever

DUN I LOVE napisał:

Spoko, jak nie wygra jakiegoś następnego ważnego turnieju, to i tak będzie "moralnym mistrzem", no bo przecież kolana...

#535 28-09-2010 17:02:07

Art

User

Toni Nadal says Nicklaus golf advice helped shape Rafa

Rafael Nadal's aggressive tennis style can be traced back to golfer Jack Nicklaus, whose advice on tactics inspired the Spaniard's coach and uncle Toni Nadal.

The senior Nadal, who has guided his nephew on court since age four, credits a Nicklaus instructional video with shaping his training of the world No. 1.

"I saw a video by Jack Nicklaus that changed my vision," Toni Nadal told Spanish newspaper ABC. "In it Nicklaus said: 'First strike far, then we will think about getting the ball inside. I said to myself: 'This man must be right'." That is what I applied with Rafael. First strike hard, then we will get the ball inside."

That kind of thinking produced the go-for-broke style of the powerful Nadal, winner of three of the season's four Grand Slams.

Nadal also told the newspaper: "You either have talent or you don't. But what makes the difference is hard work. Since he was a child I set a long-term goal for him: to be a great professional. In life you have to have hope to advance."

Nadal heads the field this week in Bangkok at the start of three weeks in Asia on the ATP circuit. He and Roger Federer are the first two players to qualify for the eight-man season-ending ATP World Tour Championships in London in November.

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20100 … shape_Rafa

#536 29-09-2010 13:02:13

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Nadal Lends Hand To Million Trees Project

World No. 1 Rafael Nadal took part in Thailand’s ‘A Million Trees For The King’ project, planting a tree in honour of King Bhumibol Adulyadej on a visit to Hua Hin on Tuesday.

Nadal, the top seed at the PTT Thailand Open, took a quick charter flight to the royal beach town located 200 kilometres south of Bangkok to contribute to the campaign to reduce global warming.

“For me it’s an honour to part of this project,” said Nadal. “It’s a very good project. I want to congratulate the Thai people and congratulate the King for this unbelievable day. I wish all the best for this idea. It’s very, very nice.”

Nadal arrived in Thailand last Tuesday for his Bangkok debut, and spent time vacationing in Hua Hin ahead of the ATP World Tour 250 tennis tournament.

“I did a lot of things,” Nadal said, who took part in a religious ceremony with Buddhist monks on the beach over the weekend. “I was with friends. I was on the beach, very nice beach. We did water sports, we went to golf one time, we went [go-carting] another time. So we did a lot of things. We went there, having fun in Hua Hin and enjoying a lot.”

The 24-year-old Spaniard is scheduled to meet Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Wednesday and plays his opening match against Belgian Ruben Bemelmans on Thursday.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … -Tree.aspx

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#537 06-10-2010 20:35:35

Robertinho

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer forever

Tenis. Jak golfista wszech czasów zmienił styl Rafaela Nadala

Wiadomo już, dlaczego Rafael Nadal zaczął lepiej serwować. Wszystko dzięki golfiście wszech czasów Jackowi Nicklausowi

Toni Nadal, trener i wujek najlepszego obecnie tenisisty świata, opowiedział niedawno, jak to się stało, że bardzo poprawił się serwis Hiszpana, kluczowy podczas niedawnego triumfu w US Open.

- Zainspirował mnie Jack Nicklaus [golfista wszech czasów, wygrał 18 Wielkich Szlemów]. Oglądałem na wideo program, w którym Nicklaus wypowiedział zdanie: "Najpierw naucz się uderzać mocno, a potem zajmiesz się trafianiem w cel". I wtedy mnie olśniło! Rafa najpierw poprawił samą siłę serwisu, a dopiero potem wzięliśmy się do techniki. Robienie wszystkiego naraz nie miało sensu - powiedział wujek Toni.

http://www.sport.pl/tenis/1,64987,84742 … faela.html

#538 07-10-2010 16:05:56

jaccol55

Administrator

Nadal: Muszę grać jeszcze agresywniej

Rafael Nadal zapowiedział, że jego rywal we wtorkowym meczu pierwszej rundy Japan Open - Hiszpan Santiago Giraldo - znajdzie się pod ostrzałem atomowych uderzeń. Obecny numer jeden światowego rankingu uznał, że przyczyną porażki z Guillermo Garcia-Lopezem w Bangkoku był brak agresji w jego grze.

W półfinałowym meczu Thailand Open Nadal wykorzystał zaledwie 2 z 26 szans na przełamanie podania rywala.

- W tak krótkim czasie niewiele da się poprawić. Na pewno jednak w Japonii muszę zagrać zdecydowanie agresywniej. To nie będzie łatwy mecz. Nawierzchnia w Tokio jest bardzo szybka, a Giraldo jest piekielnie niebezpieczny - powiedział 24-letni tenisista z Majorki.

Czy 63. na świecie Giraldo rzeczywiście będzie w stanie stawić opór zwycięzcy trzech z ostatnich czterech turniejów wielkoszlemowych?

- Ten sezon jest dla mnie znakomity - przyznał Giraldo. - Przez cały rok prezentuję dobry poziom. W Australii miałem problemy z kolanem, ale zdążyłem już o nich zapomnieć. Moim celem jest poprawianie gry z każdym turniejem - dodał.

W Tokio tytułu sprzed roku bronić będzie Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, który na Nadala trafić może dopiero w finale.

http://www.eurosport.pl/tenis/atp-tokio … tory.shtml

#539 10-10-2010 08:37:34

Bombardiero

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Rafa Nadal

#43) Tokio 2010

http://i53.tinypic.com/rgxoat.jpg

R32 Santiago Gilardo 6/4 6/4
R16 Milos Raonic 6/4 6/4
1/4 Dimitry Tursunov 6/4 6/1
1/2 Victor Troicki 7/6(4) 4/6 7/6(7)
F Gael Monfils 6/1 7/5

Ostatnio edytowany przez Bombardiero (10-10-2010 12:41:14)

#540 10-10-2010 11:19:53

Serenity

User

RAFA WINS 7TH TITLE OF THE SEASON

Less than 24 hours ago, the Spanish world number one had to salvage two spectacular match points against him to stay in the run for the Japan Open title. You fast-forward to the present, and Rafa sits comfortably at a press conference being interview by the world media on how he managed to beat No. 5 seed Gael Monfils of France 6-1, 7-5 in the final to claim the Japan Open tennis championships celebrated in Tokyo.

Rafa clinched the first set with a ferocious forehand down the line but Monfils, who survived a fright when he took an early tumble and turned his ankle, raised his game in the second.
Luck deserted him in the 11th game, however, a net cord giving Rafa break point and he nosed ahead 6-5 when a sliced return floated past Monfils and landed flat on the line.
Rafa delivered the knockout punch in the next game, a big serve to the body ending the match and giving this year's triple grand slam champion his seventh title of the year and his seventh victory (out of 8) over Monfils.

Rafa now heads to the Shanghai Masters -at the end of a three-week run in Asia- in confident form with a semifinal in Bangkok and a title in Tokyo. He has a bye in the first round and will play the winner of the match between Gilles Simon and Stanislas Wawrinka in the second.
You can check out the full draw here: http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2010/5014/mds.pdf

The Spanish winner, with an imposing 66-8 mark for the season, was appearing in his eighth final in 15 tournaments and improved to 7-1 in 2010 finals. This is also Rafa's 43rd career title and his seventh for 2010.

Rafa improved his ATP World Tour-best match record to 66-8 (35-7 on hard court) this season. The left-hander was playing in his second tournament since victory at the US Open, where he became the seventh man in ATP World Tour history to complete the career Grand Slam. Last week he reached the semi-finals in Bangkok (l. to Garcia-Lopez).
More soon...

http://www.rafaelnadal.com/content/rafa … tle-season

Stopka forum

RSS