mtenis.pun.pl - forum fanów tenisa ATP

Ogłoszenie

Forum zostało przeniesione na adres: www.mtenis.com.pl

#361 03-01-2011 15:24:39

Serenity

User

Re: Andy Murray

Australian Open - Murray: Serve the key to Slams

World number four Andy Murray admits he still needs to improve his serve if he is to break his Grand Slam duck at the Australian Open later this month.

The Scot, who was beaten in the final at Melbourne Park by Roger Federer last year, begins his 2011 season on Monday at the Hopman Cup, where he and Laura Robson will represent Britain in the mixed team event for the second successive year.
Looking fit and strong after a month of training in Miami, Murray said the form of world number one Rafa Nadal and 16-times Grand Slam champion Federer meant it would be even tougher to win one of the sport's four biggest events.
"Last year's Australian Open was one of the best events I've played in my life," Murray said.
"I played some of my best tennis so I'll have to play even better if I want to win because Rafa and Roger are playing so well just now."
Murray, whose other Grand Slam final appearance came at the US Open in 2008, said he had been focusing on particular areas of his game in the short off-season.
"I've worked a lot on my serve and I'll keep working on it the next couple of weeks," Murray said. "I think from the baseline I've matched up well with Roger and Rafa in the past, but I'll need to serve well and return well against them if I want to beat them."
Murray will take on Potito Starace of Italy in his Hopman Cup opener on Monday and will also play France's Nicolas Mahut and American John Isner in his other round-robin matches.
The Scot said the way he played in his last match of the year, the semi-final of the ATP World Tour Finals against Nadal in London at the end of November, had given him plenty of confidence with which to start 2011.
"It was a great match, one of the best matches I'd played in during the year, said Murray, who lost out in a final set tiebreak.
"I think both of us played a really high standard and it was a good way in many ways to finish the year.
"It would have been great to have won the match but at the same time having lost I realised that I played a great match but I still need to get better if I want to beat Rafa and Roger in the Slams."

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/02012011/58/ … slams.html

#362 04-01-2011 20:35:48

Joao

Buntownik z wyboru

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer

Cleanskins" for Murray as sponsorship negotiations start

Scotland's Andy Murray goes to Melbourne patch-less, as the world No. 4 attempts to renegotiate sponsorship contracts.

Andy Murray's handlers might find contract negotiations for his personal sponsorship a slightly tougher sell after the Royal Bank of Scotland produced a 28 billion sterling ($42 billion) loss in 2008, a year in which they also spent $300 million on paying for sports endorsers like Murray.

As a result of ongoing negotiations, the Scot is playing in a shirt devoid of sponsorship patches during January in Australia as his management work to try and salvage contracts with both RBS and British water Highland Spring.

Murray's adidas shirts are currently seen "clean" as the negotiations continues in Europe while Murray concentrates on his Australian tennis summer. “It’s just a situation where the contract with both companies expired and we are still in a process of talking to them and others to see the way forward,” a spokesman told British media. "There is a possibility the two companies could be back on board very quickly."

Murray has been with RBS since age 13 a decade ago, while he's worn a Highland Springs patch for the past four seasons. He is competing this week at the Hopman Cup in perth, where he and teammate Laura Robson reached the final against Spain a year ago.

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20110 … ions_start

Człowiek, jak każda małpa, jest zwierzęciem społecznym, a społeczeństwo rządzi się kumoterstwem, nepotyzmem, lewizną i plotkarstwem, uznając je za podstawowe normy postępowania etycznego. (Cień wiatru - Carlos Ruiz Zafon)

#363 07-01-2011 12:46:12

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Fitness still a worry for Murray in Australia

http://tennistalk.com/images/article/991.jpg

Despite several weeks of hot-weather training at his base in Miami during December, Andy Murray is still appearaing to scratch for fitness as Britain crashed out of title contention at the Hopman Cup.

While the Perth event played indoors, that still doesn't keep out the humidity - and the Brit admitted after a loss to France that he is still struggling with form.

"I'm a little bit stiff and sore but it's to be expected. I've been off the court for five or six weeks, so it's good to be back on it, but yeah my body is feeling it a little bit, said the No. 4 who reached the final of the mixed team event a year ago with Laura Robson.

Murray cut it close as he arrived in Perth only a day or so before the nation's opening match, a loss to Italy. "I trained outdoors (in Perth) and maybe I overdid it a bit," he confessed. "I'm just trying to acclimatise as quickly as possible so I've got to get outdoors as much as I can.

"I was breathing so hard after four or five games but that will improve over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully that will improve over the next couple of weeks. That's the goal - to try and beat those guys in the big events, and try to win my first grand slam."

The Scot is counting in a week of training in Melbourne and a possible practise match at the high-profile AAMI Classic at Kooyong club to bring him up to fighting form as he begins the major where he lost in a disheartening final a year ago to Roger Federer.

http://tennistalk.com/en/news/20110106/ … _Australia

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#364 10-01-2011 22:44:12

jaccol55

Administrator

Murray looking to repeat last year's feat

http://www.australianopen.com/images/pics/large/b_Andy-Murray.jpg

British ace Andy Murray enjoyed his first practice session at Melbourne Park this afternoon in preparation for the year's first major.

The world No.5 looked solid as he played a series of points against fellow Brit and good friend Ross Hutchins beneath the closed roof of Rod Laver Arena, practising his sliced backhand and teeing off on some big forehand drives.

Murray represented Great Britain at the Hopman Cup in Perth last week with teenager Laura Robson, and won all three of his singles matches in straight sets.

He is among the favourites at Australian Open 2011 alongside world No.1 Rafael Nadal, reigning champion Roger Federer, Davis Cup hero Novak Djokovic and Brisbane International winner Robin Soderling.

Soderling has replaced Murray as No. 4 in this week's rankings following his win in Brisbane. Murray played stunning tennis to reached last year's final before succumbing to Federer in straight sets.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 69018.html

#365 14-01-2011 20:26:36

Joao

Buntownik z wyboru

Top two look too hot for Murray

British tennis fans will be hoping that the Australian Open will finally see Andy Murray lift his first Grand Slam title, but the big problem he has is the same one he faced last year - he's up against the two greatest players of all time.
Nadal goes into the tournament at the same level he was at last year - if not higher - and Federer is certainly better than he was at this time last year; so it doesn't look good.

Last year Murray was clearly the best player apart from those two going into the tournament, but Djokovic has rediscovered his form too, which is bad news.

However, the Australian Open is as good a chance as Murray has amongst the Slams. The surface suits him and he works extraordinarily hard in the off-season which can also bear fruit.

Andy probably works harder than any other player on tour and he's in as good shape as he was last year.

He played phenomenal tennis last year and I was optimistic going into the final but Federer, just as he has done in finals in the past, raised his game against Andy.

It must be so frustrating for Andy and I know he was shattered by losing to Federer. It took him time to get over that, but by the end of the year he was back playing his best tennis again.

I feel he is going to be play really well in Melbourne, but the problem is Federer and Nadal are playing unbelievably well at the moment and until he is able to beat them both in a Grand Slam, I don't think he can win one.

I do think, even after what happened in Australia, that he believes he can beat Federer on almost any occasion - but I'm not sure he goes in believing he will beat Nadal. Has he still got that mindset when he takes on Federer? I hope he has.

However, I do still see Andy as the next best bet after Nadal and Federer.

I think we're roughly at the same stage we were last year - I'm no less hopeful, but it's a very tough call to say that he can win it.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/si … icle/5432/

Człowiek, jak każda małpa, jest zwierzęciem społecznym, a społeczeństwo rządzi się kumoterstwem, nepotyzmem, lewizną i plotkarstwem, uznając je za podstawowe normy postępowania etycznego. (Cień wiatru - Carlos Ruiz Zafon)

#366 14-01-2011 20:35:51

Robertinho

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer forever

Po tej wypowiedzi Simona, szanse Rudego moim zdanie diametralnie wzrosły, bez "klątwy Reed'a" może wreszcie uda mu się wygrać upragnionego Szlema.

#367 16-01-2011 15:38:31

Serenity

User

Wywiad przed AO

Q. How is the training going? You in as good of a spot as you were last year?
ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I mean, you never know how you're going to feel once the tournament starts. But trained well in Miami. Then last week or so I think has been quite tough for everyone because of the weather.

But, you know, we've managed to get some decent practice indoors and practice outside the last couple of days. The court plays very different outside.

But, no, it's been good, a good month and a half.

Q. What's the difference with the court speed compared to when the roof is shut?

ANDY MURRAY: The ball moves a lot quicker. Obviously, every court here is going to feel slightly different pace wise. I think Laver is perhaps a little slower. I practiced on the Margaret Court one today, which felt pretty quick.

But I think when the roof's on, it definitely slows the ball down. I played, you know, my first round I remember against Kevin Anderson, who hadn't been broken the whole time through qualifying. I played him the first round. The ball just wasn't going anywhere, which worked to my advantage.

It's definitely quicker when the roof's open.

Q. What do you know about Karol Beck?

ANDY MURRAY: He's been around a long time. I think he plays like a lot of the Slovak, Czech players: very flat hitter of the ball. He's talented. He's been a very good player in the past.

He had some problems off the court a few years ago. But, you know, he's obviously got a lot of experience. So it will be a tough match.

Q. You never played him. Have you spoken to anyone that has?

ANDY MURRAY: No. But I've seen him play quite a bit. I haven't spoken to anyone that played against him. I never practiced with him either.

It will be, yeah, one of those matches where you don't really know your opponent particularly well. Have to work a few things out once you're on the court.

Q. How do you feel you're an improved player compared to this time last year?

ANDY MURRAY: Experience obviously helps. I played quite a lot of big matches last year. I went through some very tough patches last year, as well, especially after the Aussie Open. That was something I had to come back from and I learned from. So I think mentally, you know, I'm probably in a better place. Physically I've worked hard again, so physically I should be good.

In terms of my game, I work on things a lot in practice, things that are hopefully going to improve my game. Then you just need to go out there and try to put them into the matches when you get the chance to, so...

Q. Do you feel this is a place where you're going to have that win?

ANDY MURRAY: I have no idea. I don't think any of the players do. I'm focusing on my first match. Got a tough opponent in the first round. You know, that's what I'm focusing on just now: trying to win my first match.

Q. What's the main emotion coming back here? Is it having played so well last year or having got so close?

ANDY MURRAY: It's a little bit of both. I mean, you know, I have very good memories from here. I have some bad ones, as well. I've had a couple of very tough losses here in the past. Obviously last year I played some of the best tennis of my life throughout the tournament.

But I do always enjoy playing here. I think it's a very fun place for all the players to come. Everything's incredibly easy. I always enjoy coming back. We're staying the same place as we stayed last year. Everyone enjoys it.

So, yeah, it's kind of mixed emotions.

Q. Because of its place in the calendar, is it the most difficult Grand Slam to get a sense beforehand of how you feel you're going to perform?

ANDY MURRAY: You have to trust the training that you've done and believe in it. That will get rid of some of the doubts.

But, yeah, you won't really have played a big, big match for, you know, quite a long time. No one's played that many matches. The conditions are very different here to what we were playing right at the end of the year in the indoor tournaments.

Yeah, no one ever really knows exactly how you're going to play. There's always been a few guys getting deep into the tournament normally that haven't done that well at slams in the past. You just have to, you know, try and focus on every match and not get too far ahead of yourself 'cause you're probably not going to play your best right at the beginning.

Q. Would we be wrong to interpret the fact that you're practicing so much with Novak for the two of you to get that little bit up to Roger and Rafa?

ANDY MURRAY: I used to practice with Novak a lot, as well. A lot of it is depending on tournaments that you're playing and stuff, if you're around at the same tournaments.

But, no, I've said it quite a few times. You practice with one of the other guys that are ranked high, especially when the weather's been bad, it's a lot easier to get practice courts. You get, yeah, kind of priority, and that helps.

I haven't practiced with Novak to try to beat Roger and Rafa, but he's obviously a great person to practice with because he's, you know, No. 3 in the world, and an incredibly, incredibly tough player.

Q. With all due respect, you don't exactly come from a place that's a stronghold of the game. Are you a cricket fan?

ANDY MURRAY: I never played it when I was growing up in school or anything. Cricket and rugby are two of the sports, two of the real British sports, that I haven't really followed that much. But I did watch the game last night.

I like Twenty 20 compared with test matches.

Q. Perhaps it's a bit too obvious, but did what happened in the Ashes, could that inspire you at all?

ANDY MURRAY: No, like I say, it wasn't something that when we were over in Miami, we were training and stuff. It's not something you really watch or have sort of on on the TV.

It's obviously a great achievement. I think the Aussies were ranked No. 1 in the world. So, you know, it's obviously a great achievement.

But, yeah, it's never been a sport that I've watched that much.

Q. Are you tempted to go tomorrow night?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I'll be in my hotel room. We don't actually know when we're playing yet. Could be first up on Monday. So, yeah, no plans.

Q. Are you pleased, after the talk of you falling to No. 5, then you get in the same quarter with Soderling, do you feel that sort of defused all that sort of speculation and is a nice place to be?

ANDY MURRAY: To be honest, I don't really care. Like last year, I was seeded 5 here and made it to the final. Been 4, lost in the third round of slams.

I don't think it really makes a whole lot of difference where you're seeded. You know, you have to play maybe one of the top guys maybe a round earlier.

But, no, all of those guys are incredibly difficult to beat. It wasn't something that I was worried about or thinking about when the draw was getting done.

Q. Was your Miami training the same sort of stuff as usual? Did you try anything new?

ANDY MURRAY: I did most of the same stuff. I did a lot of running on the track, running on the beach. Yeah, just the usual weights, core stuff, movement work on the court. Yeah, nothing too different to normal.

Q. Do you have any thoughts on who deserves to be favorite in the event?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I mean, I think Roger and Rafa are the two guys that have played the best in the slams the last few years. So I'd probably say between those two, you know, they'd be the favorites.

But I think there's a lot of guys that can win against them if they play their best. It's going to be an interesting tournament.

Q. The running you do on the track, is it 200s...

ANDY MURRAY: We do 200s, 400s, 800s are the only distances we run.

Q. What is your worst and the best?

ANDY MURRAY: 400 repetitions are probably the most painful 'cause you've got to run pretty quick. But it also is, you know, a long enough distance, it starts hurting a lot towards the end.

800s are quite tough on the legs, but you're not running as fast. I don't mind that too much.

200 is probably the least painful one, I would say. But 400s I don't like. But that's the distance that I'm good at running. Kind of not ideal (smiling).

Q. In his online blog today, Nick Bollettieri has suggested you might be changing your management company.

ANDY MURRAY: I got told about it just before I went in. And, yeah, it was news to me. So, yeah, I don't really know where that came from. I've definitely got a contract for a couple more years before I'd have those remarks come up.

Q. He doesn't pick you in the tournament either.

ANDY MURRAY: I always get on quite well with Nick. And when I see him, he'll probably tell me that he thinks I'll win, so...

Yeah, I don't know. Have to wait and see.

Q. Do you have a view on the question of, if Rafa wins here, whether you should call it a Grand Slam? Do you think it not being in the calendar year in any way belittles the achievement?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I don't think it does at all. Really, yeah, I don't think it does. If you hold all four of them, I think it's one of the greatest achievements I think almost in sport.

You know, I think now, because of the depth in the game and because you have to win seven matches against, you know, always different players, a different day. You turn up and play a bad match, because of depth you can lose.

To me, I think if you hold all four Grand Slams, it's one of the best achievements in sport. And I really hope he doesn't do it (smiling).

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 42257.html

#368 18-01-2011 20:15:21

Serenity

User

AO 2011 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 1 rundzie

Q. Do you get much out of that?
ANDY MURRAY: Well, yeah. I mean, I don't know exactly when he hurt himself. But, I mean, he was serving pretty well up until, you know, the end of the second set. And, yeah, I thought it was a pretty good match. I started well. Wasn't great at the end of the first set, then played better in the second.

But, uhm, yeah, I mean, obviously you'd rather finish the match off without your opponent being hurt. But, you know, it does happen quite a lot. So you just have to move on and get yourself ready for the next round.

Q. Does that affect your preparation for the next round in any way?

ANDY MURRAY: No, it was pretty close to the end. I mean, I think, you know, I don't know if it was maybe 4 2 in the third when he stopped. So, yeah, I mean, I don't think it will affect me too much in the next round.

Q. When he was going for it in the third set, he was firing everything. Did you think, At some point he's going to blow up or can he keep this going?

ANDY MURRAY: He's a very talented player. He hit some great shots. Yeah, obviously, you know, yeah, he just started throwing everything at me. He went for some huge shots. I just kind of had to weather the storm a little bit. I had some chances to go up a break in the third set, and again Love 30, didn't manage to break. So I was having chances.

I just had to hang in, make a lot of balls. It was high risk tennis. Managed to make a few mistakes before he stopped.

Q. Is that court a little tricky? You had that great match against Martin three or four years ago. Because it's so far away, is it sometimes difficult to get your concentration right?

ANDY MURRAY: It's actually one of the nicest courts to play on. When you hit the ball, like the echo, the noise it makes, you always feel like you're hitting the ball well. I practiced on it a couple of times before the start of the tournament. It's actually a really, really nice court to play on.

There is a lot of space around the court. There's a huge space between the people on the side and the crowd. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time to get your bearings.

But I like that court. It's a really nice court.

Q. What do you think of the weather conditions so far?

ANDY MURRAY: It's different, you know, to what we normally have here. Today was actually pretty cold. It changes the way the court plays a lot. He hits the ball very flat anyway. With the court not being particularly warm, it was coming through quite low, whereas I'm sure in the next round later on in the week when it gets warmer, the ball is going to be bouncing very, very high. Very different tennis.

Yeah, it's just conditions that, you know, you have to deal with. A lot of the slams, the conditions can vary from day to day. You just have to be ready for anything.

Q. Reassuring to get that first one always, isn't it, in a slam?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, like I said before the tournament, everyone always has slight doubts before the start. You know, you're always a bit nervous. But getting off to a good start, getting a break early in the match, does help a lot, which I managed to do. Yeah, nice to be through to the second round with no drama.

Q. First meeting with Marchenko. Can you give your thoughts on what he might pose in terms of problems?

ANDY MURRAY: I don't really know him that well. I saw him play a little bit when the Ukraine played Great Britain in Davis Cup. That was obviously quite a while ago. He's improved a lot since then.

Danni and my mom went to watch some of his match after I finished, so they will give me the tactics, things to look for. But, yeah, I don't know his game that well.

Q. (Question regarding getting pictures developed.)

ANDY MURRAY: I haven't actually seen them. I don't know if they were in the papers or not. I haven't seen them.

Q. Was it a million you helped to raise?

ANDY MURRAY: It was great. Yeah, there's many of those things that the players can do the better. Obviously, raised $2 million, it's a huge amount of money and I'm sure will help out a lot. So, yeah, I mean, I think all of the players enjoyed it. It was obviously for a good cause. The crowd I think loved it. TV enjoyed it, too. Yeah, the more of those things we can do, the better.

Q. Spoke to Jamie about his accident?

ANDY MURRAY: I haven't spoken to him about it. My mum told me about it when I woke up this morning. But, yeah, I haven't seen him yet today.

I think it actually happened in a doubles match here. I saw that on YouTube. I think Llodra hit a bird a few years ago. That doesn't happen that often.

Q. (No microphone.)

ANDY MURRAY: Not that I'm aware of. I'll ask him, but I hope not.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 78688.html

#369 22-01-2011 23:40:58

Serenity

User

AO 2011 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 2 rundzie

Q. It looked easy, but how hard was it?
ANDY MURRAY: There were parts of the match that were tight. Obviously the beginning of the second he started well. I was a little bit tentative. But I played well. A lot of the close games, a lot of 30 All games, deuce game, and I served well when I needed to really. That was the difference.

Q. 16 aces. Got yourself some free points, didn't you?

ANDY MURRAY: I got a lot of free points on the first serve, which is important because from pretty much the first game he was swinging quite big on first serve returns and second serve. You know, I think once it got close, he started to miss more, because I didn't feel like I hit my second serve badly. A few of them I looked, the ball was bouncing so high, he was really trying to take them on. When it got close, he started missing a few more. But he was going big on the returns on first and second. It was important to get free points off the serve.

Q. You mentioned after the first match how comfortable you felt on Hisense and enjoyed playing it. Isn't there a bit more fun to be had out there with a tight knit crowd?

ANDY MURRAY: No, it's great. The atmosphere on that court is great. It's one of the best in tennis I think. You know, I think Davis Cup crowds aside, for a slam, the atmosphere on that court is probably one of the most fun to play in because everyone gets into it. There was a lot of Brits supporting. It did feel like a Davis Cup match, which is nice. It definitely helps.

Q. You feed off that, as well?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah. I mean, I think it's a good atmosphere to be involved in. I played a match there last year. I played well. You know, it can get tricky in there because the wind will swirl a lot. It can be a tough court to play on, as well.

But in terms of the atmosphere, it's excellent.

Q. Your former coach, Brad Gilbert, is now working with Kei Nishikori. We Japanese are excited about that. Can you talk about Gilbert, what you learned from him, what kind of coach he is.

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I mean, he's obviously had very good results with everyone that he's worked with. He's a very tactical coach, not so technical. Obviously, you know, because of the way he played the game, he's very good at that. It definitely helped me when I was sort of coming onto the tour, you know, to learn how to win matches, even if it didn't look like you were playing great tennis, doing enough to win.

So I'm sure he'll help Kei a lot.

Q. Do you take time out to watch Rafa and Roger, their matches, keep an eye on what they're doing?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I don't normally watch the whole of the matches. Obviously, you know, I need to be taking care of ourselves. But, yeah, I mean, if they're on the TV and you're in the hotel, yeah, you're around, you'll definitely sit and watch some. You can learn a lot from those guys.

Q. Did you watch last night all the way through?

ANDY MURRAY: I didn't watch all of the match, but I was watching a bit of Djokovic and then I watched from sort of the middle of the fourth set to the end of the match with Federer.

Q. Do you think that tight run he had last night changes anything in the tournament at all?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I don't think so. I mean, last year he had quite a few tough matches early on in the tournament. Didn't really affect him. So I don't think it has a huge bearing on the outcome of the event, no.

Q. You played your next opponent once at Queen's. Anything in particular that makes him stand out in your memory?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, he's playing very well just now, the last sort of seven, eight months. I think, you know, his ranking has got a bit higher. He's getting seeded in the slams now. He beat Rafa at the end of last year in Bangkok. He's had a big win there.

He's a very solid player. He does everything well and he's improved his game on hard court. So it's going to be a tough match.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 66767.html

#370 23-01-2011 00:05:28

Serenity

User

AO 2011 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 3 rundzie

Q. Fairly straightforward?
ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I mean, I got off to a good start and played well from there. I mean, the first game, you know, doesn't always sort of dictate the way the match is going to go, but it definitely helped today.

I broke from 40 Love in the first game and played well after that.

Q. What did you think of his between the legs shot in the first game?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, it was good. It was the first time someone passed me on a through the legs shot on the tour. It was a very close one on the line.

Q. In terms of getting a match done with a minimum fuss and the quickest time possible, it couldn't have been any better today, could it?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I mean, it was good. Obviously, it was a quick match. Served well. Hit the ball clean from the back. That was it.

Yeah, I played well. He probably didn't play his best. It was over quickly. So, I mean, it was hot today, so it was nice to get off the court.

Q. How important is that, not expending yourself through five huge ones on a hot day?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, it makes a big difference. When we warmed up this morning it was pretty cool. And then, yeah, as soon as the clouds went away it became hot.

Yeah, it was very, very good to get off quickly. Didn't use up much energy at all. There wasn't many long rallies. So, yeah, it was perfect.

Q. Just looking ahead to tonight, obviously in terms of a local match, Rafa and Bernard Tomic is huge. How do you see that playing out? Do you have any advice for Bernard?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I see Rafa winning, and I think it will be pretty comfortable. The first set I think will be the tightest of the three sets. But, I mean, I think it will be a great experience for Tomic. I'm sure he enjoys it.

I've seen a little of his matches so far; he's played very well; he's a nice player to watch. He'll be very good in the future, that's for sure.

Q. Your next opponent could be Jurgen Melzer. You have experience with him. Can you tell us what you expect if he is your next opponent?

ANDY MURRAY: A tough match. He's very unpredictable on the court. He played his best year last year on the tour. Yeah, he takes a lot of chances on the court. He can also make some mistakes, too. He plays quite high risk tennis.

I played him quite a lot. I don't think I played him last year. But he's definitely improved, you know. The older he got, he's started to play better. He's started to understand his game better. So, yeah, it will be a tough match, whether it's Melzer or Baghdatis. Both are very good players.

Q. You've been hitting up quite a lot with young George Morgan. Are you impressed with his attitude and his approach, what you've seen?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I mean, he hits the ball well. Yeah, he hits the ball well. It is tough when you're just warming up for matches just sort of up and down the middle.

But, you know, he hits a solid ball. He's got, you know, a decent whack on his serve. He can hit it pretty big. He can play with a bit of topspin. It's not all one pace. Yeah, he's good.

I haven't seen him play that many matches or played points against him to see exactly what his game is like, but he hits the ball well for sure.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 65604.html

#371 24-01-2011 15:59:22

Serenity

User

AO 2011 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 4 rundzie

Q. You must be rather contented with that performance today.
ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, it was very good. Again, like the first few matches, I started very well. I started hitting the ball very cleanly right from the beginning of the match. There was a few games where it was tough from one of the ends. Doesn't feel it when you're watching, but all the players will tell you from the far side of the court, it is difficult. I came through a couple of tough service games from that side.

Yeah, when I had the wind with me, I dictated a lot of the points, returned very well, served well in the second and third set. So it was very good.

Q. When you see someone who can be so difficult, throwing his racquet down, getting out of sorts, confidence wise does that put you at a high level that you know you got this guy?

ANDY MURRAY: I don't know. I mean, I don't know. I don't know if it helps or not. But, yeah, I was really just focused on my side of the net today, what I had to do. I wasn't worrying too much about what he was doing or saying. Yeah, I just played my side of the net and played it very well.

Yeah, he did get frustrated. That might have showed a bit in his game. But, no, I was just focusing on what I was doing.

Q. Obviously you've had straight forward matches. How are you feeling with your game, yourself, physically?

ANDY MURRAY: I feel good. The matches are definitely going to get tougher. I'm not expecting to go through, you know, the tournament winning matches like that, with that score line. So, you know, I'm ready for that mentally when it does get tough.

Whether there has been tight moments, like today it was right at the beginning of the match, went up a break, got broken straight back. I managed to break him in the next game, so I've been staying strong. I've been moving well. Today I hit the ball the best I had done of the first few matches.

It's been a very good start, but it's going to get much tougher.

Q. Will you comment a little bit on the next opponent.

ANDY MURRAY: I know a little bit about him. I played him once before. He's got a very unorthodox game, very different to most of the guys on the tour. Yeah, he's starting to put everything together. He's playing well, taking chances. Yeah, it's just different. He has a game that can make you play strange shots or, you know, not play that well. So you need to play, you know, as solid as you can against him 'cause if you start playing sort of inconsistent, a bit up and down, that's when he plays his best.

If you can keep making a lot of balls, chase everything down, not give him many free points, I think he can start to miss. But he was playing well today.

Q. I didn't hear all of the post match, but have you meet Billy Connolly?

ANDY MURRAY: I met him after the match. But I hadn't met him beforehand.

Q. What was that interaction like?

ANDY MURRAY: I've never been to his shows. When I used to like travel around, most of the tournaments we went to were in England, so we used to drive Scotland down to England. We used to listen to him on like cassettes.

So, yeah, I've never been to see him live. I might try and go see him this evening if I've got time. But, yeah, I mean, he's obviously a very, very funny guy. He's very normal, too. It's not like he was trying to be funny. He's just a funny guy.

Q. Do you have a favorite Billy Connolly joke?

ANDY MURRAY: No. That's the thing. We used to listen to it all the time, from maybe like 10, 11 years old until I was up to 15, 16. Then I haven't seen that much of his stuff for a little while. I'm hoping I'm going to be able to go along and see it. We got a few little tidbits when we were talking to him.

My mum and dad were pretty lenient with that stuff. Probably why my language is so bad on the court (smiling).

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 58092.html

#372 26-01-2011 16:23:12

jaccol55

Administrator

At that Point Again

http://blogs.tennis.com/.a/6a00d83451599e69e20148c8045fcc970c-800wi

Puncher vs. counter-puncher makes sense. One player attacks, the other uses that pace to fire back. Puncher vs. puncher isn’t as elegant, but you can certainly follow it. Two guys take turns belting the ball. Counter-puncher vs. counter-puncher is harder to figure. Neither can play their game. They’re robbed of something to punch against.

Andy Murray vs. Alexandr Dolgopolov was the latter, and it was predictably unpredictable. If it showed us anything, it showed us how deeply ingrained Murray’s defensive mind-set is. For the most part, it was Dolgopolov who attacked and Murray who defended. Murray’s speed and consistency allowed him to remain the counter-puncher, and allowed him to win in four sets. The Ukrainian played well and tried just about everything, but he couldn’t hit through him.

“Hitting with him on the baseline was just suicidal,” Dolgopolov said. “He wasn’t going to give me anything. I had to go after it.”

Dolgopolov was a crowd favorite today. His coach is naturalized Aussie and former low-level pro Jack Reader, a leathery, longhaired character who sported a cap in the colors of the national flag in honor of Australia Day. Cries for Dolgopolov—known as “Alex!” here—outnumbered cries for Murray by roughly 5 to 1.

He’s an easy player to like. Dolgopolov walks on his toes between points, and he appears to float a little above the surface during them. He’s as loose as they get, for better and worse. The freedom that allows him to coast to his left and twist in the air for an inside-out forehand is the same freedom that allows him to chuck in an ill-advised forehand drop shot on a critical point late in a set.

“He hits different,” Murray said. “It was tough to get my rhythm.”

The two players traded sidewinding slice backhands and on the rise two-handed crosscourts. They traded running one-handed shovel backhand winners. They traded heavy topspin crosscourt forehands. There plenty of long games, but Murray was, as Dolgopolov, “more solid.”

“He’s one the smartest players on tour,” Dolgopolov said. “He really breaks your game.”

Murray dropped his first set of the tournament today. By his own admission, he got tight in the third-set tiebreaker. Otherwise, he’s in good, standard form going forward. He bounced back from that breaker by winning 12 straight points at the start of the fourth.

“He was making me run more than any of my other opponents,” Dolgopolov said of Murray’s surge.

So now what? We presume, as of this writing, that Murray will play Rafael Nadal in the semifinals. Can he beat him with this good, standard form? Last year the two met in the quarterfinals, and Murray won by playing some of the most aggressive tennis of his career. His backhand, in particular, was a controlling stroke in that match.

"I feel like I’m hitting the ball bigger than last year,” Murray says.

Aside from that, though, there’s not a lot that's new about the man. His game is the same and his demeanor off the court is as even-keel and reserved as ever. There hasn’t been much discussion of him here so far. Now Murray is back to that point again, the point he’s always asked about, one of only four chances he’ll get this year to make an advance in his career. As always, he’s playing it straight and low-key, no special desires or ambitions revealed. He did crack a couple of smiles in his presser today, but mostly it was the same expressionless monotone, and the same answers about "the player who plays the best" being the one who is going to win, and if he doesn’t it’s not the end of the world.

That’s a theme we’ve heard quite a bit at this tournament, from Roger Federer to Caroline Wozniacki to Jo-Wilfred Tsonga to Andy Murray. It seems like a healthy way to think, but Murray must know that to beat Nadal it can’t be business as usual. He’ll have to push out of the defensive shell that served him so well today. From a personal perspective, it would be sweet to see Murray hoist the trophy here; he’s the only one of the “Big 4” without a major, and I'm curious as to what his reaction would be. A smile? A tear?

As Murray moves on, Dolgopolov flies on to the tour’s next stop. He says he’ll try to get visas to play the clay events in South America next month. He’s a player we’ll hope to see more of very soon. Aside from his balletic game, he’s also a very relaxed press-room presence. He says that despite the big Melbourne pay day, he’s sticking with his Subaru. When he was asked if he was “amazed” by what he did here, Dolgopolov shrugged and said, “Yeah, for sure I’m really happy. I’m confident and I think I can do good.”

“Have you heard from a lot of people, like your parents?”

“Yeah, my parents are watching all the time, cheering for me. They’re really happy. A lot of my friends as well. So it’s really nice.”

The big names take over from here. But amidst the tension and drama of the weekend to come, I may find myself missing Dolgopolov’s easy play and easy ways.

http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2011/01 … again.html

#373 26-01-2011 16:30:33

Serenity

User

AO 2011 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w ćwierćfinale

Q. What's the most difficult thing about playing him?
ANDY MURRAY: Well, he's just unorthodox, very different to how most guys play. Obviously it's tough to get into a rhythm. But he's also a very, very good player, definitely not someone to be underestimated. He's had some very good wins this week. He had a good week last week. I'm sure he'll give a lot of players problems in the future.

So, you know, he was very good.

Q. That was your toughest match of the tournament so far. Were you happy with your game, how you overcame his unpredictability?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, well, I mean, I played well. I wouldn't say I was necessarily in trouble at any stage. I was ahead in most of the sets. Getting ahead early in the fourth set made a big difference.

But I thought I dealt with his game well. It was, yeah, just difficult to get into a rhythm. Did quite a lot of running. He won a lot of free points off his first serve. You know, it was a tough match. I thought I dealt with it pretty well.

Q. Where is your game compared to when you played here last year?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I think I'm hitting the ball bigger than I was last year. You know, I think a lot of the things, you know, can be quite subtle differences. I don't think there's any major change. I don't see many major changes in any of the guys really at the top of the game. But you just try to become more consistent, have less weaknesses. I think this year I'm a little bit more solid.

Q. How do you brace mentally when you see who's left in the tournament? There's a lot of great players left.

ANDY MURRAY: Great players left. Yeah, some of the best of all time. So it's exciting to be part of it. You know, I hope I can come through. But I'll just be focused on my next match. I'm sure they'll have a really good match tonight. Rafa and David are both great competitors. They're both in unbelievable shape. It will be a very tough match.

Q. Rafa spoke the other day in the early days of his career not really feeling like he belonged. Did you have a breakout match that you can think of?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, actually when I played Rafa here, I think it was in 2006, maybe. I could be wrong. 2006, 2007. Yeah, it was five sets. It was probably the first time I played against one of the best players in a Grand Slam and made it very tough for them. It was a great match. So that was probably the first time I felt like I could go on and compete with them in the big events.

Q. How do you feel now compared to then?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, I feel just way more experienced. I know how to deal with playing deep into Grand Slam events now, how to get prepared for them mentally and physically. It's something that I'm a lot better at.

But, yeah, I mean, it's always you know, it's always very tough when you come up against those guys. You need to be on your game physically and mentally if you want to beat them. So that will be the case in the next match.

Q. I read some article which says maybe when you were 13 or 14 you played Rafa in a junior tournament or something. You lost. That's when you decided to go to Barcelona. Is that a true story?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I actually didn't play against him. I never played against him until we were both on the tour. But I was playing like a team competition. Yeah, we were playing racquetball. I just asked him who he was practicing with in Spain. He said he was practicing with Carlos Moya, who was like top 10 in the world, and I was practicing with some guys that if I told you a name, you wouldn't know who they were. So that was really why I decided to go and train over there.

I went over when I was 15. I think it was a good decision.

Q. You made it to the semis pretty smoothly. Do you feel you have an extra gear that you haven't used yet?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, you have to wait and see. You know, I've played very, very well. When you play against the best players at the end of the tournament, you know, you need to play your best tennis again to give yourself a chance of winning.

So, yeah, I just have to wait and see how I respond when I play against them. But I have played very well so far.

Q. Do you feel like the pressure is off given that Roger and Rafa are Roger and Rafa and Djokovic is in such good form? Do you think this is a time that no one is putting the pressure on you?

ANDY MURRAY: No. I think there's pressure. I mean, you know, I'm sure the next match might be a bit different to today, the pressure. But, you know, I obviously want to try and reach the final, and if I get there, go on to win the tournament.

Unless you've been in those positions before, you know, you can't explain what the pressure's like. You expect a lot of yourself. You want to perform your best right at the end of the event. I'll be putting pressure on myself to play well.

Q. Does the burn get greater to want to win one the longer the time goes?

ANDY MURRAY: I think it's still the same as when I first was giving myself chances to win slams. It's still exactly the same as it was then. But it's not something that I lose sleep over. It's something that I work very hard towards, the reason why I train hard, you know, train away from home in December.

But, you know, this is obviously for me what my job is. You know, tennis is very important to me. If things don't go well on the tennis court, I've got very good friends and family to fall back on.

Q. You were talking to yourself a lot out there today and gesturing. What were your thoughts? What were you saying?

ANDY MURRAY: I was trying to get myself pumped up. It was very slow, cool conditions out on the court. You need to make sure you're moving your feet a lot when you're out there. And, yeah, because he's a very unpredictable player, you can't switch off. He goes through periods in matches where he plays great tennis, and you have to sort of hang on a little bit. Then he can go through periods where he makes some mistakes.

You need to sort of urge yourself to play a solid, sort of stable match, not make too many mistakes, and in the end hope that, you know, he'll make a few more mistakes than you.

I was just trying to get myself as focused as I could for the whole match.

Q. Not including this tournament, you've earned $14 million in your career. Royal Bank of Scotland is one of your sponsors. Do they manage your money?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I do bank with them, but they don't manage it. I have an accountant that does that.

Q. Do you invest in property in Scotland?

ANDY MURRAY: I do invest in property, not in Scotland. I do invest in property, yeah.

Q. Where?

ANDY MURRAY: Where? I have a place in Miami. I have a place in London. And then a few sort of projects in central London, as well. But, yeah, I'm pretty conservative. Don't make any bad decisions.

Q. Do you feel the support you have here? Seem to be a lot of people on your side.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, there's a lot of Scots here, a lot of Brits here. Actually, most all of the years I've come, I've had very good support. And, yeah, it does make a big difference in your matches when it does get tight or, you know, when there's a bit of sort of, I don't know, where the atmosphere's a little bit flat, and there's a group of guys that sing all the songs and stuff, get everyone into it. It does make a big difference.

Q. Did you go and see Billy Connolly last night?

ANDY MURRAY: I did.

Q. Did he make any reference to you in his act?

ANDY MURRAY: No, he didn't.

Q. Should he have?

ANDY MURRAY: I wouldn't have minded. I don't mind people making jokes about me. It's not a problem.

Q. Can you compare the win against Rafa at the Australian Open last year against the loss at Wimbledon to him?

ANDY MURRAY: In terms of?

Q. How you played.

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, the surfaces are very different. But, again, I mean, I was up a couple of sets and a break when he stopped. Like at Wimbledon, it was a lot of close games. Both of us had chances in both matches. It just comes down to who plays them a bit better.

I played better here and he was better at Wimbledon. It wasn't a huge difference in the way the match went. They were both pretty close. You know, hope I can play another good one in the semis.

Q. You've talked about having a lot of British support here. Do you think you're starting to win over some of the neutrals in Australia?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I don't know. But the support I've had in all my matches has been very, very good. I'm sure it won't be if I play against Rafa or Roger. I'm sure the majority of the crowd would be behind them.

But, no, I have good support here. I'm happy with how it is. I don't need any more or less.

Q. And what about Dolgopolov? Do you think you're going to be encountering him at this stage in tournaments in the future?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I mean, with his game style, he's going to give a lot of guys problems. He might be a little bit inconsistent from time to time. But when his game's on, I'm sure, yeah, he'll get deep into Grand Slams and the big tournaments just because of how tricky his game is.

Q. Most people say that the depth in men's tennis is always increasing. In most slams maybe all four of you four guys at the top are in the semis. What is your explanation for this? There is still quite a big gap.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I don't know. I mean, Novak's consistency has been very, very, very good the last few years. Yeah, Roger and Rafa obviously speak for themselves. They play their best tennis at the big moments.

You know, I think the depth is very, very strong in the men's game. But I think, as well, because it's become very physical, it's also difficult throughout the whole year, because it's a long one, to play your best tennis the whole year. So I think sometimes, you know, guys like Roger and Rafa, they have losses in those events that maybe Roger didn't have before because I just think the game's become very physical. It's tough to sort of peak the whole way throughout the year. That's probably a reason why they lose a little bit more than they used to.

But the depth is still very strong. You know, the guy I played today was ranked 45 in the world. He's a lot better than that. He's a very, very tough guy.

Q. Does that give you the confidence that you can beat these guys in front of you at any given time?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I think I've played well against Roger, Novak and Rafa. I've had a lot of close matches with Rafa. I've had a lot of good wins against Roger. I actually haven't played Novak for quite a long time. But, I mean, I think everyone does beat everyone. I think Roger and Rafa have been better in the slams. That's something that me and Novak want to, I'm sure, try and change.

You know, Novak managed to beat Roger at the US Open last year, and I managed to beat Rafa at the Aussie Open. Hope that changes this year.

Q. Yet at the 02 when you played Rafa in the semi, you sat in your chair as long as he sat in his chair. You weren't standing up at the net waiting for him. Are you going to adopt the same policy? Every other player appears to spend half an hour hanging out in the corridor or in the chair.

ANDY MURRAY: Yes, I mean, I played him a lot of times. There's no point in getting yourself ready and waiting. So when they ask you, Are you ready to go, I always take three or four more minutes. I just warm up like a little bit later than I normally would. Yeah, I always stay in my chair until he's up and about because, well, that's just the way it is.

But I don't mind it at all. I don't really notice it. But it's just something you're ready for before you play against him.

Q. Do you think he's playing mind games with his opponents or that's just what he does?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I think that's what he does. I think he's done it since he was very young. I think he's very particular. You know, I just saw him getting ready for his match, you know, just now in the locker room. You know, he takes his time over everything, doing the grips on his racquet, doing the tape on his fingers. You know, he has the things with his bottles on the court. That's just the way he is.

I'm sure, even if he didn't do that, he'd still be an unbelievable player. I don't think it makes really a huge difference at all. I don't think he's playing mind games. But if you can reverse it a little bit, then you might as well try.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 87107.html

#374 28-01-2011 16:07:11

Serenity

User

AO 2011 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w półfinale

Q. How satisfied is it for you to get to the final?
ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, very. I mean, it's a very tough match tonight. I expected a very, very tough match. You know, it was a little bit up and down I thought. I changed my tactics well in the second set, second and third sets.

But, yeah, very happy to come through, because it was a really, really tough match. It could have gone either way.

Q. Can you talk us through the way you changed your game.

ANDY MURRAY: I just started playing closer to the baseline, taking his time away a little bit. I started slicing a little bit more, like changing the pattern of the points. You know, we were playing a lot of sort of cross court backhand rallies in the first set. He wasn't missing a ball.

I started slicing up the line, changing the passing of the points, was able to dictate a little bit more with my forehand. I used my backhand down the line well. Just went for my shots a bit more. I came to the net a lot. Finished a lot of points off at the net.

There was a lot of changes. But I was just going for my shots a bit more.

Q. In the tiebreaks, you must have been really pleased with the way you stepped it up and won them both pretty comprehensively.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I served well in both of them. Went for my shots. You know, I got off to a good start in both really. Yeah, that always makes a big difference in the tiebreaks.

Yeah, tiebreaks were good. Third set was very well, it's not like the first set I felt like I played badly. It was just I had my chance in the first set; didn't take it.

And, yeah, I mean, it's gonna happen in a five set match against someone as good as him.

Q. You said you changed string tension. Did you go on court with two different racquets strung with different tension?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I always go on with two different tensions. I wasn't really feeling it at all. You know, I went up in tension even though it was getting colder, so I felt like I could really swing hard at the ball just give it just a bit more of a crack, and I helped.

Q. Yesterday Novak said that it's good for the game to have some people who can beat Roger and Rafa and not have those two all the time. Now we have a final without either one. It's to your advantage to be in the final. Do you agree it's good for the game itself to have that?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, personally, yeah, if people thought it was better for the game if Roger and Rafa were in the final, then I'm not really bothered. It's better for me if I'm in the final.

But I don't know. I don't know if it's better for the game or not. You know, I think, I mean, those two have been great for the sport, and I'm sure they'll continue to be for the next six, seven years however long they're both playing.

You know, but from a personal point of view, I would rather be in the final than be watching Roger and Rafa at home playing again.

Q. You played Novak seven times on the tour. You maybe played with him as a junior or something. Can you talk about the rivalry between you and Novak.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, because we've always been like 3 and 4 the last few years, we've always been on different halves of the draw in every tournament we've played. So, yeah, we haven't come up against each other I think for over two years now.

So, you know, we practice a lot together. We get on well together. We're good friends. You know, so in terms of a rivalry, I think this will be the start well, I hope it's the start of us playing each other in big matches.

Q. Can you take us back to when you first met? What were some of your earliest memories of meeting Novak as a teenager?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, we both went quite different routes. I played him the first time I think when I was like 13 maybe. You know, it's not like you speak that often to the foreign players and stuff. There's normally a pretty big sort of language barrier.

We played each other up until we were like 15, and then he improved a lot faster than I did. Then I managed to catch up. It wasn't really until we got back on the tour that we started playing together a lot and practicing together again.

Yeah, the first time I played him must have been, yeah, when we were about 13. So it's been a long time we've known each other.

Q. Was that first match in Tarbes?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah.

Q. Do you know who won?

ANDY MURRAY: I won 6 Love, 6 1 maybe. So, yeah, a lot's changed since then, I'm sure. It will be just a bit tougher than that on Sunday.

Q. Do you think the fact that Novak will have had 24 more hours to prepare will be a factor at all?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, I think it helps. Yeah, it's not really an excuse. I had it last year. You know, I think the more rest you can have, the better.

But it's not like, you know, at the US Open where I would have where I'd be playing, in 13, 14 hours. I have the whole of tomorrow. I won't practice till late tomorrow, and then I've got the whole day to get ready on Sunday.

So I'm hoping physically I'll be okay. But, yeah, I'm sure every player in the draw would rather have an extra day.

Q. Can you take us through the sequence where you said you lost track of the score tonight.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I thought it was 4 3 in the second set, and then, yeah, it wasn't until the umpire called 5 5 that I realized that, yeah, I just saved a set point.

Q. What did you think when you saw it was 5 All?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I was obviously a bit surprised. But you need to sort of get back into focusing. It was quite a big stage of the match. So, you know, it hadn't really happened to me that often before.

But sometimes, you know, when you're in the match, you know, you sort of get in a bubble, in a zone, and you don't well, normally you know exactly what the score is, but tonight I obviously didn't.

Q. When you're in the rhythm of play in a tournament, very much in your routine, is it quite easy to sort of shut out the historic significance, how big a match it is? In some ways is it possible to treat it like any other match?

ANDY MURRAY: It was until you brought it up.

But, no, I mean, first of all, it's more like, you know, a personal dream or a personal goal of mine. So that's really what you need to sort of keep in check and not let yourself get ahead of yourself.

You know, the historical thing, it's not something that I've thought about that much, but it's something that obviously for me personally I want to try and win.

You know, but I also don't want to sort of get myself so amped up that, you know, I play a stinker of a match. I think if you go in thinking like, Yeah, no one's won for 60 years, I might never get another chance.

I'm going to make the most of the opportunity, for sure. I'll give 110%. But, you know, I also need to make sure I'm relaxed and calm on the court. I don't want to get myself sort of too worked up.

Q. You didn't play against him in almost two years, but you won the last three matches in two sets. Does it mean something or not much after all this time?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, I'm sure if I lost all of them in two sets, I mean, I would have been seven matches down. So, you know, they were big moments for me. I won against him a couple of times in Masters Series finals. When I won my first Masters Series in Cincinnati, you know, that was a big win for me.

The wins meant a lot to me at the time. I don't know if they'll have a bearing during the match on Sunday. But at the time they meant a lot to me. You know, I expect a very tough match. I'm not expecting him, just because he's lost the last couple of times, to hand the match to me. I'm going to have to work incredibly hard.

Q. Did you watch Novak's match last night?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I watched all of it. I didn't see that much of the first set, but I saw from the second set onwards.

Q. It's going to be hot on Sunday. Novak has had some problems in the past with heat exhaustion. Do you think that might be an advantage for you?

ANDY MURRAY: I don't know. I mean, it's in the evening. I wouldn't expect it to be too much of an issue. If it is an issue for him, then that's obviously an advantage for me. But I'm not going to the match thinking that will be a problem for him. You know, you just have to see what happens when you're out there.

Q. When draws are made, I think probably we tend to assume that the toughest draw is likely the way it turns out. We figured it would be Soderling to play Nadal to play Federer. Do you get any more sense of gratification that you've came through people like Dolgopolov and Ferrer today, maybe even tougher matches for you mentally?

ANDY MURRAY: There's definitely a slightly different pressure. But, yeah, from my side I was very surprised. I did one hour of press after my last match. I didn't get asked one question about Ferrer. The guy is ranked 7 in the world. After this week, he'll probably be higher.

I have a lot of respect for all of the players on the tour. I have a lot of respect for him. I played him many times. Had very tough matches. I practiced with him. I've seen him train. The guy's in unbelievable shape.

Yeah, it's important, I think, for everybody to respect, you know, all of the players. And he, yeah, pushed me. It was an incredibly difficult match, like I was expecting.

There has been slightly different pressure going into the matches, because against Dolgopolov I didn't really know his game that well and I was favored. You know, you're expecting to get to the semis, but last two matches have been the hardest two in the draw.

So I'm sure Sunday's going to be very tough, but I've been very focused on just playing my opponent and not getting ahead of myself.

Q. The other day you said you were very conservative about your money investment. How conservative do you consider yourself as a player?

ANDY MURRAY: I think tonight I showed that I did what I needed to do to win. I think a lot of the players now are very patient on the court, because you can't just be trying to hit winners because the guys are too fast and it's all played from the baseline, it's a lot slower.

I don't know. Depends how you view being conservative. You know, I think I try a lot of different shots. I have a lot of variety, dropshots, came to the net a lot, change the pace of the ball. I don't hit the same ball over and over again just because I think I'm going to make it. I do hit a lot of different shots.

I don't think the match tonight was conservative. Some matches you need to be conservative. You just do what you have to do to win.

Q. Djokovic yesterday said that this surface is the best for him because it's not too fast and it does give him some options when he has to choose the selection of his shots. What about you? Do you like this surface a lot, too? Would you like it a little faster?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I mean, it changes. The surface here does change a lot. Not the surface, but the way the court plays changes a lot depending on the heat. Because it's been quite cool here, that's slowed the pace of the court down a bit.

But, I mean, for me the court here is the best for my game. You know, I can see why Novak would really like the court, as well. The balls here are very different to what they are at the US Open. The US Open is very, very fast compared to here.

So I think this is along with the French; the French can be very quick, too, for clay it is slow.

Q. You seemed a bit gimpy working the autograph line after the match. Is everything all right health wise?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah. I just played 3 hours and 45 minutes. I was a bit stiff and sore when the adrenaline wears off of just playing a fourth set tiebreak. You stiffen up quite quickly. It wasn't warm out there. I was a bit stiff and sore. I jumped in the ice bath, had a warm bath afterwards. I feel better.

Q. How significant was last year? You tasted the bitterness of defeat, but you must have gained experience making the final.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, it was tough for me, but something that I think overall would have made me a better player, stronger mentally. You know, they're all experiences that you need to deal with sort of playing at the highest level of sport. You know, you definitely lose some tough matches. You know, I hope that it will help me on Sunday.

But I'm sure I'll deal with everything better than I have done in the past on Sunday.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 33929.html

#375 29-01-2011 23:09:08

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

3 wielkoszlemowy finał Murraya

http://www.saidaonline.com/en/newsgfx/andy%20murray2.jpg

Andy Murray zagra w finale Australian Open 2011. Będzie to już 3 finałowy występ Szkota w Wielkim Szlemie. W dwóch poprzednich podejściach najlepszy brytyjski tenisista przegrywał z Rogerem Federerem: 26 57 26 na US Open i przed rokiem właśnie w Melbourne 36 46 67.

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#376 30-01-2011 19:55:13

Serenity

User

AO 2011 - wywiad po porażce w finale

Q. How hard is it for you at the moment?
ANDY MURRAY: It's better than it was last year. You know, it was obviously tough, disappointing. You know, I thought Novak played unbelievably well. And, yeah, it's tough, but got to deal with it.

Q. Why do you say you feel better this year than last year?

ANDY MURRAY: I just do. That's it. I was in a much worse state last year than I was this year. I don't know why. That's it.

Q. Did you have a feeling at any time you were going to get back into it?

ANDY MURRAY: You always have to try and find a way to get back in. You always have to try and believe. I mean, you know, he defended, I mean, unbelievably well tonight.

So when I got ahead in some games, you know, and even just in points, uhm, you know, he was sticking up lobs that were landing on the baseline, passing shots that were very close to the lines.

So it was quite difficult to find parts of the court where I was getting free points from. You know, I think I broke his serve maybe twice in the third set and still lost it 6 3.

So, you know, I was trying to find a way; I just wasn't able to put enough good points together.

Q. The first two sets, on his serve you only made six points in the first set and again six points in the second set. How do you explain that?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I don't know. I just finished, so I don't know exactly why that would have been.

But, you know, he played a great match. He hardly missed any balls. You know, it wasn't like I was missing loads of returns or making a lot of mistakes off returns. You know, we were getting into a lot of rallies.

I saw the stats up on the thing at the end of the match. Not like he hit way more winners than he. I made way more mistakes than him and he defended very well.

Q. You didn't seem to move as well as you had done in this tournament. Were your energy levels down? Was there an injury problem at all?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I would say the semifinal match was a tough one, a long one. But I felt okay. You know, when it's a Grand Slam final as well, the adrenaline helps. You feel a lot better with that. That definitely helps.

No, that definitely wasn't the reason why I lost.

Q. Can you put your finger on why it just didn't click for you? Wasn't the real Andy Murray out there, was it?

ANDY MURRAY: It was. But he played great. I mean, I would have liked to have played better. But, you know, I think he would have beaten every other player on the tour if he played like that tonight.

He served well. He didn't make many mistakes from the back of the court. He moved really, really well. He hit the ball very clean. That was it.

Q. Agassi lost three finals before he went on to win a career slam. Do you still have belief you can win?

ANDY MURRAY: You know, I want to keep working hard, try and improve. You know, but I said before the final, it's not something that, you know, I don't lose sleep over at night. You know, it's going to be tough for sure for a few days.

But, you know, I want to try and win one, of course. But if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. You know, I'm just working as hard as I can. I train very hard. You know, I take tennis very seriously.

But, you know, I love my life away from tennis, as well. You know, that's why maybe this year, compared with last, I'm very, very happy off the court. I'm enjoying myself. There's other things to look forward to, too.

Q. Did you get the sense that the first set was always going to be the crucial one today, that that one getting away from you gave him that extra incentive to go for his shots?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I think he definitely loosened up after the first set and started playing better. You know, it was a long first set. The match was even quite long for the scoreline. There was quite a lot of long rallies and stuff.

But, yeah, the first set of all matches in majors are important. But just because you lose the first one, you still have a lot of time to get back into it. You know, I wasn't able to get back into it.

Q. Can you describe how different it is physically and mentally playing in a Grand Slam final as to a regular tour final?

ANDY MURRAY: Physically there's no difference to playing any of the other matches. I mean, mentally, you know, there's a bit more pressure and stuff. But that gets less, you know, after you start the match. It's more the buildup in the beginning of the match.

You know, the pressure is different obviously to playing the first round of a Grand Slam because you're playing to win it. But physically it's the same as all the other matches.

Q. You said off the court you're very happy. Is there a sense of frustration having been there three times and not getting one yet?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, yeah, anyone who played in three finals would have loved to have won one. But I haven't. And, yeah, I mean, I just need to keep working hard and, you know, try and do it.

But, yeah, I would have preferred to have won one than lost three.

Q. Were there any improvements in Novak's game that surprised you?

ANDY MURRAY: He's a very good player. I haven't played him for a very long time, you know, but I've played him when he's played well and when he hasn't played so well.

He served well tonight in comparison to how he had been the last year or so. That's definitely helped him.

Q. Do you think you can still get close to his level when you're at your best? Is there a gap there now that you need to bridge?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I think I could have played better this evening. Yeah, I mean, I'm going to need to improve. You know, obviously I lost in straight sets, so I'm going to need to get better.

Q. Is it tougher for you to have lost in straight sets like the other two finals, or it doesn't change that much because what is important is to win?

ANDY MURRAY: I don't think it changes that much. Uhm, you know, obviously, you know, if it's sort of a five set match, you feel like you're very, very close to winning, I'm sure that's very difficult, you know, when you get so close.

You know, I wasn't particularly close tonight. I mean, it's disappointing I'm sure every time you lose, whether it's three sets or five sets.

Q. Rafa when he came in said he didn't want to talk about injury. He did eventually say he did have a problem. Are you saying you were a hundred percent?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah. I mean, I thought I moved decent. I think I could have moved better. But, no, like I said, yeah, I wasn't injured.

But, you know, I had a tough match in the semi. I moved very well the whole tournament. I felt like I could have moved a bit better tonight.

And against someone like Novak, you know, you need to be firing on all cylinders, and I didn't move as well as I would have liked.

Q. I know it is what it is, but this idea of playing, you've got 24 hours less...

ANDY MURRAY: I think they do a great job at this tournament. Last year I had some extra time. The US Open you have both players don't have any time really. You play Saturday, Sunday. I mean, I think it's fine the way they do it here.

Q. What were you talking about to the umpire in the first set? You seemed to get into a discussion with the umpire.

ANDY MURRAY: No, I hit a backhand cross court, and I think it was quite clear in the end they called it out and he overruled. I just said to him, like, you know, I thought that was like almost inside the line. You know, he sort of like bit back at me even though he'd overruled it and we were agreeing.

I just said to him, like, to get defensive toward me, I was just saying I thought it was a quite clear mistake. That was it. It wasn't anything more than that.

Q. You've played him a lot. Has he ever been better at retrieving and playing defense?

ANDY MURRAY: No, he always moves great. But, you know, tonight there was probably five, six times when, you know, I got into good position. He stuck up a lob that landed right on the baseline. You know, so it's difficult to smash because you don't know whether it's going in or not.

Then a couple of times, you know, we played I think at 5 4 in the first set we had another unbelievable point at 15 30. You know, he did some unbelievable retrieving in that point. You know, he came up I think to break me in the third set. You know, I had him going side to side. He hit one backhand passing shot down the line from way back in the court.

When he was on the run tonight, he hit the ball very, very well.

Q. You changed to Plan B against David Ferrer. Did you have any tactical changes that you would have liked to have made tonight?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I started trying to go for my shots more as the match went on. You know, at the beginning of the match, both of us, you're sort of trying to feel each other out a little bit. As you work your way into the match, you start to find patterns and go for your shots more.

Started taking more chances. You know, managed to break serve a few times, but wasn't able to keep it up for long enough.

Q. It took you a little over three months to recover last year, yet you seem to be saying you can handle it better now, not have the same effect.

ANDY MURRAY: I don't know. Might do. But right now I feel better than I did last year. I'll see what I do from here, you know. I don't know, I might not play for a few months. I might feel like playing in a week's time. It depends. See how I feel.

Q. Is the other way to switch it around to say, first major tournament of the season, another final?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I look at the tournament as a whole, it was excellent. I don't think anyone would say that reaching a slam final is a bad achievement. It's a very, very good achievement.

Obviously right now there's disappointment because you just lost the match. But, you know, when you look back over the tournament, you know, there's not many people that can say they've made slam finals.

So, you know, I'll be very happy with the way the tournament went. But I would have obviously liked to have gone one step further.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 27339.html

#377 31-01-2011 22:48:28

jaccol55

Administrator

MURRAY VOWS TO KEEP WORKING HARD

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/5A3929AD7DD54BB6BD4E0A1E1CF20F78.ashx
Andy Murray was trying to win his
first Grand Slam title.

Great Britain’s Andy Murray lost a major final for the third time on Sunday as he fell in straight sets to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open championship match. However the Scot insisted that he will deal with the disappointment and continue to work as hard as he can to end Britain’s 75-year wait for a male Grand Slam champion.

“I want to keep working hard, try and improve,” said Murray. “But I said before the final, it's not something that I lose sleep over at night. It's going to be tough for sure for a few days. I want to try and win one, of course. But if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I'm just working as hard as I can.  I train very hard. I take tennis very seriously.

“But I love my life away from tennis, as well. That's why maybe this year, compared with last, I'm very, very happy off the court. I'm enjoying myself. There are other things to look forward to, too."

The 23-year-old Murray was beaten in straight sets in all three of his major finals, also losing to Roger Federer in the 2008 US Open final and finishing runner-up to the Swiss in last year’s Australian Open title match. Asked if that made the defeats any tougher to digest, Murray replied it only served as motivation to work harder and improve.

“I don't think it changes that much,” said the Dunblane native. “Obviously if it's sort of a five-set match, you feel like you're very, very close to winning, I'm sure that's very difficult when you get so close. I wasn't particularly close tonight. I could have played better this evening. I'm going to need to improve. Obviously I lost in straight sets, so I'm going to need to get better.”

After losing out to Federer on the Rod Laver Arena 12 months ago, Murray was visibly distraught and went on to endure a lean period on the tennis court, reaching only two quarter-finals before rediscovering his best form at Wimbledon. Following his impressive run over this past fortnight, though, the Scot’s overriding emotion is one of pride and optimism.

“Obviously right now there's disappointment because you just lost the match.  But when you look back over the tournament there's not many people that can say they've made slam finals. So I'll be very happy with the way the tournament went. But I would have obviously liked to have gone one step further.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … -Hard.aspx

#378 01-02-2011 22:12:47

Serenity

User

Murray may be ready for a month away from tennis

Andy Murray might be preparing to pull the plug on his next round of tournaments after losing badly to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open final.

While the Scot has not taken action yet, British media is speculating that he could easily withdraw from his first date from Monday in Rotterdam and could also miss Dubai later in the month.

A year ago, after an emotionally heavy loss in Melbourne to Roger Federer, Murray made a late pull from Rotterdam, then lasted just one round in Dubai. He said after losing to Djokovic in Melbourne that he has other things in his life, with tennis not the only focus.

He could well be laying the groundwork for time away from the game. "I don't know, I might not play for a few months. I might feel like playing in a week's time," warned No. 5 Murray.

"It depends on how I feel. I don't have to play until Indian Wells and Miami (in March). If I am enjoying myself back home then I won't start training again, because last year I went through the motions a bit and that is not the way to move forward."

With his girlfriend back in his Surrey mansion near London after the pair split but were reunited, Murray could be loathe to leave Britain. "I want to spend time with my girlfriend, chill out and get away from the court."

http://tennistalk.com/en/news/20110201/ … rom_tennis

#379 03-02-2011 22:26:21

Serenity

User

Rusedski: Murray needs proven coach

Beaten Australian Open finalist Andy Murray needs a proven coach in his corner if he wants to break his Grand Slam duck, according to former world number four Greg Rusedski.
Rusedski, the last British player to reach a Grand Slam final before the 23-year-old Scot, said he could do a lot worse than get on the phone to no-nonsense Australian Tony Roche as he mulls over his thrashing by Novak Djokovic on Sunday.
"That's three Grand Slam finals and he hasn't won a set yet," Rusedski told Reuters by telephone.
"Yes, he's lost twice to Roger Federer and now to Djokovic so it's no disgrace but he's got to do things better out there and maybe it's time for a few changes.
"I think someone like Tony Roche would be a great thing for Murray. He is a great guy and was a great player himself.
"He coached Ivan Lendl who was number one, he coached Pat Rafter who was number one, he coached Lleyton Hewitt who was number one and he coached Roger Federer, so that's not a bad record is it?
"Murray cannot expect to win a Grand Slam final being a counter-puncher. He has to take the bull by the horns and Roche is an aggressive sort of coach who knows all about coming forward and serve and volley.
"He's a no-nonsense sort of guy who has that experience and I think that would be beneficial for Murray having someone with him who's been there and done it."
Murray ditched his full-time coach Miles Maclagan last year and now works part-time with Spaniard Alex Corretja and uses best friend Dani Vallverdu as a hitting partner while his mother Judy also has a big input.
However, Rusedski doubts whether the current set-up can get Murray over the next hurdle.
"Maybe he needs someone a bit stronger," added Rusedski, the runner-up at the 1997 US Open to Rafter.
"His mum Judy does the video analysis and she does a good job in those things but then he's got Corretja as his coach who didn't show up (at the Australian Open).
"For me it's about having someone to get you in the right frame of mind because last year was very similar for Murray. He needs to change his mentality. He needs someone in his corner who can tell him how to handle a grand slam final.
"We are talking about the final hurdle, the guy is a great player but we are talking about that half per cent and that's all that is missing. It's very small margins."
Rusedski, who also threw the name of Swede Magnus Norman, previously working with world number four Robin Soderling, into the frame, said Murray would continue to challenge for majors but it would not get any easier.
"It becomes harder every time you miss out," he said. "This time it was not even Federer in the final, it was Djokovic who is a week younger than him and someone he's grown up with.
"Djokovic has stepped it up. Don't forget, he had just won the Davis Cup for his country which is probably the most pressure packed tennis you can ever play.
"Murray is the best British player of the Open era. You don't win six Masters Series and reach three Grand Slam finals without being a great player but you need that little bit that's going to make the difference. He doesn't want to look back at his career and think I could have, I should have, I would have."

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/02022011/58/ … coach.html

#380 04-02-2011 15:26:42

Serenity

User

Murray gets the advice to get a proper coach

As Andy Murray fights his personal demons after a second straight Australian Open title loss, he's getting some advice: get a coach.

The word came in Britain from Greg Rusedski, the former player with whom the Scot has never been close. But television commentator Rusedski made his recommendation anyway, suggesting that Murray could profit with a steady hand such as Australian Tony Roche onside. But that would appear to present an impossible logistical issues, with Roche not only working with his nation's Davis Cup team but also the personal coach of Lleyton Hewitt.

"Someone like Tony Roche would be a great thing for Murray," television commentator Rusedski told British media. "He coached Ivan Lendl who was No. 1, he coached Pat Rafter who was No. 1, he coached Lleyton Hewitt who was No. 1 and he coached Roger Federer, so that's not a bad record is it?”

1997 US Open finalist Rusedski called Roche "a no-nonsense sort of guy who has that experience, I think that would be beneficial for Murray having someone with him who's been there and done it."

Murray parted with his former coach Miles MacLagan last summer and has since been advised by Spain's Alex Corretja - remaining in Barcelona for the Australian Open - and a travelling circus of various hitting partners. physios, trainers, and of course, his mother Judy.

http://tennistalk.com/en/news/20110204/ … oper_coach

Stopka forum

RSS